PDA

View Full Version : I need detergent suggestions.....

Lady Grey
02-08-2013, 08:15 AM
The homemade power I've been using successfully for several years is not working anymore. I'm having odor issues with our clothes. What do you like that is...

powder
affordable
earth-friendly (though I'm willing to bend on this for now)
okay for front loaders
fragrance free or mild fragrance

I've already made sure the machine is clean etc... and I am not able to add vinegar or anything else to the rinse cycle. (long story) So I am not looking for any trouble-shooting ideas, just detergent suggestions. I've had success using my diaper detergent (Rockin Green) but I'm hoping to find something that costs less.

Thanks!

Llee
02-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Bio Kleen. I got the 4 pack from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Biokleen-Laundry-Powder-Allergen-Fighting-Formula/dp/B0017LEA48/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1360338844&sr=8-4&keywords=biokleen+laundry). One 10-lb package lasts me 9+ months and its been fabulous. Good for top and front-loaders.

NorwegianHippieOfThree
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Soap nuts are awesome. They are cheap and biodegradable, you can throw em in the compost pile when you are done with them. They aren't powder but there not liquid so thought they might still work for you.

Radosny Matka
02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I love Charlie's Soap.

librarianjojo
02-09-2013, 09:41 AM
I use All Free and Clear. I know it isn't the most earth-friendly option, but it doesn't irritate my extremely sensitive skin. I have an HE front-loader and it works just fine. I will say that I have to do an extra rinse/hottest hot cycle to make sure my towels don't smell.

mummy2boys
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Soap nuts are awesome. They are cheap and biodegradable, you can throw em in the compost pile when you are done with them. They aren't powder but there not liquid so thought they might still work for you.

I always wondered about these. I see them advertised in a magazine I buy here in Australia but never knew anyone who actually used them. Thanks for the tip...might have to order some!

BeckaBlue
02-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Can I ask if something changed? Did you move or the city change water treatment or a new machine?

I'm trying SA8, but it's an amway thing (my sis' husband works there, so I can get it cheap through him)
Also trying Charlie's Soap, but that's liquid.

Lady Grey
02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Can I ask if something changed? Did you move or the city change water treatment or a new machine?

No, nothing has changed. That is part of what is puzzling me, because it's been my best detergent for several years.

knitlove
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
there is a powered Charlie's Soap