PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of gestational diabetes correcting itself?

Leslie_JJKs_mom
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Lately my blood sugars have been really low. Morning in the 70's and after breakfast I have gotten from 84 to 105. I was telling my mom who is an RN in ICU and she said I wonder if it corrected itself. Well I decided to go out on a limb and try some forbidden foods. I ate spaghetti with garlic bread which should have sent my blood sugar soaring with all the white flour but now it is well within normal an hour later. 120. That is not even close to my hour cutoff. I was lead to believe as my pregnancy progressed my sugars would get harder to control not the other way around.

milkmommy
02-06-2013, 07:43 PM
my blood sugar needs went donw a bunch towards the end of my pregancy

Marsha
02-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Wow, that is awesome, mine stayed hard to control for almost a year post-pregnancy!

Psyche
02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Low fasting are indicative of diabetes as well. Or type 2 maybe? Fasting is what my doctor checked when I was not pregnant.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Anything over 72 and under 94 I was told is fine. I run from 78 to 85 for fasting. This morning after breakfast I was only 89. I was expecting a huge blood sugar after so much carbs with dinner but no it was normal.

And I too have heard for some time after delivery to expect wonky blood sugar, not for it to get better. I know I sure wont press it by eating sugar stuff although part of me is temped to add in a desert and see what happens some time.

Annalou
02-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Traditionally the hormone changes in pregnancy make it harder to control toward the end (I found right away I was always low, then toward the end more on the high side, each trimester my needs for insulin went up a little, I have type one though)

if you are eating more low carb, plus fats and protein that should help a lot to even out your BG, I think it's possible to stop the GD, most Dr's would say prob not but there is something called the brewers diet (google it) that helps with GD, and Pre-E etc
I would go easy on sugars and carbs especially if you had troubles in the past, if you do have some carbs eat them with a meal, and pair it with proteins
:rockon so happy for you!!