PDA

View Full Version : insulin pumping know how mamas

milkmommy
02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
This isn't really natural health but I'd still like to ask here.

I'm having horrible morning numbers my endo is out of town till next month (she rotates working here with another town 4 hours away) and she is kinda dismissive anyways I'd like to find a different one..
Anyways my overall during the day numbers are decent they've been on average between
65-110 pre meal 100-180 post meal some tweaking needed but overall decent assuming I don't scew something up..
bedtime between 120-140

However my morning numbers have been very high
I was 386 this morning 425 yesterday... its been this way for a while now
I've increased my overnight basal rate nothing
tried decreasing wondering if I wasn't rebounding nothing
Ive tried checking in the middle of the night done checks at around 2-3am and things seem fine..
but by 6am it is through the roof...
I'm in a TTW as we are activly TTC so the idea of being so high unchecked for hours maybe worries me.

Deanna

Lady Grey
02-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Can you still put in a phone call to her office with the nurse? I wouldn't put off mentioning a change that big in your numbers.

Also wondering if you ate a small snack in the middle of the night if that would help?

milkmommy
02-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Can you still put in a phone call to her office with the nurse? I wouldn't put off mentioning a change that big in your numbers.

Also wondering if you ate a small snack in the middle of the night if that would help?

yea I called her her answer was take a correction oh and that my tubing was likely kinked.. :-/ (she is kinda rude and dismissive thus me wanting a change)
I was also wondering if I need to try eatting something... I guess I could try

TestifyToLove
02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
With numbers that high and adjusting the basal, I would suspect you are having a rebound effect and I would try a bedtime snack. 15grams of carbs with protien and preferrably a bit of fat as well.

BearyBlessed
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
We are not even a year in and we don't pump, so take my suggestions with that in mind.

How new is this issue for you? I know some people talk about a "dawn phenomenon", where their numbers go way up not long before waking. Could you set a temp basal to start around 4am or something if your 2am check is fine?

Also, it might not be a possibility with your endo out of town, but could you get a 2 week trial with a CGM? That way you could see what's going on at night without waking every hour.
Or is there any chance your DH could help with nighttime testing so you don't have to wake every time- maybe trade off every hour or two? Having more numbers to work with might be helpful, though there's still a lot of time between the checks.

My only other suggestion is to ask if you are part of the forums at www.childrenwithdiabetes.com. It's not just for kids and they are super knowledgeable there. It might be a good resource since your endo seems less than helpful.

milkmommy
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM
We are not even a year in and we don't pump, so take my suggestions with that in mind.

How new is this issue for you? I know some people talk about a "dawn phenomenon", where their numbers go way up not long before waking. Could you set a temp basal to start around 4am or something if your 2am check is fine?

Also, it might not be a possibility with your endo out of town, but could you get a 2 week trial with a CGM? That way you could see what's going on at night without waking every hour.
Or is there any chance your DH could help with nighttime testing so you don't have to wake every time- maybe trade off every hour or two? Having more numbers to work with might be helpful, though there's still a lot of time between the checks.

My only other suggestion is to ask if you are part of the forums at www.childrenwithdiabetes.com. It's not just for kids and they are super knowledgeable there. It might be a good resource since your endo seems less than helpful.

Ive always had a bit of dawn phenomenon but never anything like this.. Like its common for me to see around 150-180 when I wake not 400+ which is why I'm more suspectign a rebound but ussually I kinda feel that I'll wake hot and sticky from the crash/rebound affect... I "feel" okay or at least not the same.

oh and as for the AM basal yes my rates are set a bit higher it starts at 5am I'm up by 6am and the rate is .50 higher till 8am

These super high numbers have been going on for several weeks now.. It will ocassionally be alright but over all its been 350+ in the AM and I can't figure out why.

but could you get a 2 week trial with a CGM?
I wish but they did that when I was pregnant so now I'd have to pay and its EXPENSIVE!

DH would certainly help if I need him too and I can deffiently get some more readings I do need to see if I can catch the drop or the increase...

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

With numbers that high and adjusting the basal, I would suspect you are having a rebound effect and I would try a bedtime snack. 15grams of carbs with protien and preferrably a bit of fat as well.

I ussually have eaither a few crackers with cheese or a small apple with a little peanutbutter and a small glass of whole milk before bed...

BearyBlessed
02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
but could you get a 2 week trial with a CGM?

I wish but they did that when I was pregnant so now I'd have to pay and its EXPENSIVE!

Bummer! The person I heard about it from said they do it like once a year to have a little peek at what their sugars are doing without having to wear one all the time.

If it's a rebound from a low, could you set an alarm to wake at 3 or so to have a snack?

BearyBlessed
02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
How did last night/this morning go?

milkmommy
02-04-2013, 12:19 PM
How did last night/this morning go?

I think my setting are wrong..
Bedtime 162 a bit higher than I like but I didn't want to mess with it.. Likely result from the Super Bowl foods.. took reading about 11pm and least food I ate was around 7:30pm

about 1:30am- 144

2:45am- 142

3:30ish 144

4am 226 DING DING DING!@ at this time I drank a glass of whole milk and took a correction..

6am 345 :-/ still a significent rinse even with getting in some fat and carb and adjusting for the 4am rise.

So I'm going to up my basal rates some more for the early AM and see if it helps.

Truth be Ive gained a little weight lately. I went off my pump and went back to MSI with novolog and lantus.. I gain VERY easily when on Lantus but I couldn't afford teh pump supplies... so where my insulin sensitivity in the past has been pretty normal even a bit high I might be a bit more resistant now especially in those early hours...

BearyBlessed
02-04-2013, 04:53 PM
So, are you MDI now? Or pumping? I would have different suggestions or ideas depending on what the answer is.

Is there any chance you can try Levemir instead of Lantus? I have no idea if it would affect weight gain differently, but it could be worth a try.

milkmommy
02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
So, are you MDI now? Or pumping? I would have different suggestions or ideas depending on what the answer is.

Is there any chance you can try Levemir instead of Lantus? I have no idea if it would affect weight gain differently, but it could be worth a try.

I'm pumping I went from my pump back to MDI starting last August and I switched back to my pump around Christmas time.
Unfortunally I had some reactions to Levemir (really itchy swollen injection sites and headaches)
We have a high deductable health insurace so untill we reached a $3000 co pay I had to pay outta pocket for pump supplies.. We finialy met the deduction.. so thats why I'm pumping again.

mom2boys
02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
My dh had to stop using his pump last year because we just can't afford the supplies. :/
but, now that he's learned the hows of managing his sugars he's much better controlled then he ever was before. He stopped using the lantus and uses only novolog for correction plus he still takes metformin. Are you type 1 or 2?
I was on the diabetes champion team for years at work. That means while I wasn't a diabetic nurse, I was more educated/up to date then the other nurses on the floor so I was the resource for them. I loved it-I only stopped because of the time commitment.

milkmommy
02-04-2013, 05:28 PM
My dh had to stop using his pump last year because we just can't afford the supplies. :/
but, now that he's learned the hows of managing his sugars he's much better controlled then he ever was before. He stopped using the lantus and uses only novolog for correction plus he still takes metformin. Are you type 1 or 2?
I was on the diabetes champion team for years at work. That means while I wasn't a diabetic nurse, I was more educated/up to date then the other nurses on the floor so I was the resource for them. I loved it-I only stopped because of the time commitment.

type 1

mom2boys
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
:hug it's so hard to figure those little things out sometimes. So you changed your early morning basal rates? that would be my suggestion too :giggle (insert comment on how great minds think alike ;) )

BearyBlessed
02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm pumping I went from my pump back to MDI starting last August and I switched back to my pump around Christmas time.
Unfortunally I had some reactions to Levemir (really itchy swollen injection sites and headaches)
We have a high deductable health insurace so untill we reached a $3000 co pay I had to pay outta pocket for pump supplies.. We finialy met the deduction.. so thats why I'm pumping again.

I understand now. I was confused for a minute. :O
How frustrating to have bad side effects from both long acting insulins. :-/ I'm glad pumping is an option for you most of the time.
(Can I be nosy and ask which one you have and if you like it? We aren't there yet, but I'm still researching. :shifty)

Good luck tonight!

milkmommy
02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
:hug it's so hard to figure those little things out sometimes. So you changed your early morning basal rates? that would be my suggestion too :giggle (insert comment on how great minds think alike ;) )

yes I bumped it up .5 unit starting at 3:30am I'll adjust again if needed..

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

I understand now. I was confused for a minute. :O
How frustrating to have bad side effects from both long acting insulins. :-/ I'm glad pumping is an option for you most of the time.
(Can I be nosy and ask which one you have and if you like it? We aren't there yet, but I'm still researching. :shifty)

Good luck tonight!

I have a MM522 it is pink :giggle like a good Pancreas should be :giggle Actually I have no idea what color one really is its just always pink in those charts and models.. I like it

BearyBlessed
02-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Aji would want a pink one, too! If I can ever get him on board with a pump. I figure once he's out of the honeymoon and getting 4-6 injections a day more consistently, he might change his mind.

BearyBlessed
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Checking in to see how things are going the last few days. :heart

milkmommy
02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Checking in to see how things are going the last few days. :heart

Still way high in the AM I'm at a loss why and really scared to raise my rates more without a dr. help

BearyBlessed
02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
That sounds sounds so frustrating. But, wise to wait. :yes

milkmommy
02-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Well I feel kinda dumb but I might have figured out the issue... :shifty
Over the past few days I was noticing that not only was my morning way too high but insulin was taking longer and longer to "work" I was assuming I was having some resistance issues however yesterday I decided to change out the BATTERY in my pump it still said it had some juice but not a lot.. I figured a fresh start couldn't hurt..
:shifty yea should have tried this weeks ago :shifty

My morning numbers for the past 5 days

and this morning 102 with a "dawn P". rise to 116 before I had a chance to eat
post breakfast (which I'll admit was pretty carby) 179 2 hour 114

Maybe concidence I also change the infusion and I have an AM basal rate now of 1.50 :hunh compared to between 45-65 the rest of the day but seems weird that I change the battery and suddenly my averages are dropping 150 plus points.

DEanna

BearyBlessed
02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Interesting! I hope your numbers continue to stay low. :yes

milkmommy
02-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Interesting! I hope your numbers continue to stay low. :yes

my numbers so far today..

first morning (about 6am) 102
pre breakfast (7:44am) 115
post breakfast 179

pre lunch 114
post lunch 159

pre dinner 78
post dinner 95

and just now 81

my daily ideal goal ranges are 90-140
aceptable ranges between 70-180
I start to feel loopy below 65
and I start spilling keytones above 245

BearyBlessed
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Looks like the battery did it. Those numbers look pretty darn great!

milkmommy
02-12-2013, 11:14 AM
100 this moring (5:30am)
114 pre breakfast (7:30ish)

101 pre lunch

The battery deffiently did the trick!

BearyBlessed
02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
:rockon

Yay for something simple with D. :giggle