PDA

View Full Version : organizing your household stuff- update with my results page 2

Aerynne
02-02-2013, 02:20 PM
There's a bunch of misc household stuff I have trouble figuring out how to organize. So how do you organize your (pictures appreciated, but descriptions will work, too). . .

batteries
lightbulbs
camera and accessories
other little electronic things
office supplies- staplers, scissors, pens, paper clips, etc.
kids' art supplies
candles
cleaning supplies
sewing stuff
hair clippers (if you have them)
anything else that isn't exactly kitchen or bathroom but household

I'm not talking about organizing batteries by size or anything- just maybe having a batteries container, but then where do you keep that? etc.

Katydid
02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
:popcorn

This stuff is near the top of my list to deal with next. :yes

hey mommy
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Mine are in plastic shoeboxes in a bookshelf next to my computer table. I'm currently having a little too much fun with my moms label maker as I label all the shoeboxes. :giggle

Stapler/staples/scissors/office supplies are in plastic drawers on my computer desk.

Art supplies are in a big plastic box on top of the hall closet to keep Sammy from dumping it out constantly. It comes down when they want to color.

Lightbulbs are under the kitchen sink.

Mother of Sons
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I bought a bunch of clamshell boxes for all that stuff. They sit on a shelf like books. Then when I need a battery or I have a cold (we have one for cold supplies too) or a bandaid (first aid box) I just grab that box and its there.

Aerynne
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
what do you mean by clamshell boxes?

I really want to find one central location for all of the stuff like it sounds like you have- not some in this closet, some in that one, etc.

Mother of Sons
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
It's basically a box that closes itself. Kind of like a pizza box Kwim? There is not a separate lid. It's all one piece. I'll try to upload a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/katambra/1359841408_zpsdbc74ede.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/katambra/1359841360_zps08db770c.jpg

Domina
02-02-2013, 02:59 PM
You can always rock my Baggie-pod system. :giggle

Aerynne
02-02-2013, 03:12 PM
MOS, are those cardboard? Where did you find them?

Mother of Sons
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
They are cardboard. I bought them at Walmart in the packing supply section.

Transformed
02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I have a walk-in linen closet, built-in cupboard in my laundry, and other shelves and drawers which all help.

In the office, on top of the filing cabinet, I have a small drawer set similar to this one: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/559355091_1/4-Drawer-organizers-without-lock-drawer-organizer-stationery-drawer-organizer-tray.jpg
Mine has two large drawers and one small. The small one has pens, pencils, etc. The next has batteries, third has camera/phone cables and the like.

I recycled the boxes I buy wipes in to hold lightbulbs, candles and sewing stuff - just cut off the top flaps, turned them inside out and labelled them, and I plan to eventually cover them too. They're all on the narrow shelves on one side of my linen closet.

I have a low sideboard cupboard that for now holds DD's art & craft supplies and the stuff to set the table - when there's space to move it into the room that will be hers, all the table-setting stuff will move. I keep containers to help keep it organised. We used to get 5kg containers of peanut butter when BIL lived here, and I saved the containers, along with plastic coffee containers, baby food jars, just about anything that's see through, easily washed and unlikely to break.

I own a lot of candles :O Emergency candles are in the linen closet, along with a lighter and matches.

All our cleaning supplies are in the laundry cupboard. I was able to recycle other boxes for there, and have boxes for rags, pet stuff, chemicals, non-chemical cleaning stuff, etc. There's also space in the cupboard for the broom, dustpan and hand broom, buckets, mop bucket and mop.

staceylayne
02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
At our house lot of the little random stuff like batteries, stapler, envelopes, stamps, little camera cords and misc. electronic bits and pieces go in a clear plastic shoe organizer hanging on the back of the hall closet door. It's not the prettiest presentation...but it is easy to see, easily accessible and hidden behind a door.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Ooh...pretty boxes, MOS!

blondie
02-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Baggie-pods? Pictures ? :poke

batteries - DH keeps them in a sorting tray, like you would use for beads, but bigger
lightbulbs - in a bin in the pantry
camera and accessories - in the camera bag, in my hall closet where it's easy to grab
other little electronic things -
office supplies- staplers, scissors, pens, paper clips, etc. - I have a basket in the hall closet upstairs, then a drawer in our "school" room downstairs
kids' art supplies - hall closet sorted into drawers andbins and in the "school" room sorted into drawers and bins
candles - in a basket in the kitchen cabinet, with extras downstairs in my "seasonal" bin
cleaning supplies - in a high cabinet in a bin
sewing stuff - in a plastic bin
hair clippers (if you have them) in a drawer in DH's bathroom

backtobasicsmum
02-02-2013, 08:13 PM
There's a bunch of misc household stuff I have trouble figuring out how to organize. So how do you organize your (pictures appreciated, but descriptions will work, too). . .

batteries - I have ONE drawer in the kitchen that houses batteries, tape, screw drivers and a hammer.
lightbulbs - All the different kinds are put together in a shoe box sized box (it's just a cardboard box from the recycling) in my linen closet
camera and accessories - I don't have any accessories for my camera...it just mainly lives on the top of my homeschooling shelves in my dining room, so I can grab it thoughout the day when I want to take a picture.
other little electronic things - I have a wicker basket on top of the fridge that houses cords for various electronic things (charge cords for cell phones, camera, my light box, my Kobo)
office supplies- staplers, scissors, pens, paper clips, etc. - We installed three rows of shelves across one side of our dining room for all our homeschooling stuff and most of it is sorted into matching (clear) bins. I have a bin for writing utensils (so markers, colored pencils, crayons etc each in their own gallon ziploc bag), one with stapers, scissors, glue, paints; one with undrawn on paper; one with scrap paper.....etc. All our homeschooling related "work books" are here too
kids' art supplies - Included in the stuff above
candles -I try to only have as many as I am actually *using* as replace as needed. If I have a spare, it goes in the corner cupboard of my kitchen, b/c I am most likely to burn a candle in my kitchen.
cleaning supplies - All under the kitchen sink. They just all sit in their, but if you wanted them organized, there are tons of cleaning caddies that you could put them in, that make them easier to tote around.
sewing stuff - We had a spare room in the basement that I had my sewing stuff set up on a table...it was converted to a 4th bedroom, so currently it is all just boxed up. I hope to get my table set up in the corner of a different room soon. I have several large rubbermaid bins that hold my fabric and several smaller ones that hold things like elastic, thread, buttons, scissors, rotory cutter, pins, etc. The big bins go under the table, the small ones snack next to my sewing machine.
hair clippers (if you have them) - In the linen closet.

I'm not talking about organizing batteries by size or anything- just maybe having a batteries container, but then where do you keep that? etc.

:)

curlymopmom
02-02-2013, 11:44 PM
batteries - Some are loose in the junk drawer in the kitchen for easy access. The rest are in a bin in our desk drawer.

lightbulbs - In the top basket of a 3-basket system (like this (http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/stackingBinsBaskets?productId=10006896&N=71232)) that's on a shelf in our laundry room. Shoe cleaning/shining stuff is in the bottom basket. And the middle has vacuum bags, dusting stuff. Extra toilet paper, ziplocs, paper towels, rarely used cleaning supplies are on the shelves in the laundry room.

other little electronic things - We have a giant bin in our furnace room of random electronics that we don't need to use often. The back of our filing cabinet has some more-needed but often electronics piled up. Little cords are kept in $1 pencil cases.

kids' art supplies - I'd have to take pics. We've got quite a bit. I'm not sure if my pictures would be helpful. :shrug

ReedleBeetle
02-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Batteries are in a basket on a shelf in our office. We fill it with different sizes and back stock goes in our storage room.

Lightbulbs...going down into our basement, there is a space that has a deep-ish shelf that is in front of you as you walk down and above your head when you get about 2/3 of the way down. We keep smaller bulbs/packs in a plastic dishpan style thingy and the bigger packs just sit on the shelf.

Camera is in a cabinet in the office.

Little electronic things go in a basket under the living room TV. It has Wii remotes and various things like that, a wireless mouse for us to use with our computers, etc.

Office supplies are mainly stored in my school bins of things, on the shelves, in the office. Most of the bins are $0.50 clearance plastic pencil boxes that I labeled on the end with "pencils and erasers", "Mom's stuff", "glue", etc. I have a larger rigid side cloth box that has paints and flashcards and things in it. Paint brushes are in a zip up pencil bag.

Candles....um....we are either using them or they are on stock shelves in the storage room.

Cleaning supplies are in a few places...I have doubles of the bathroom stuff and put one bunch in each bathroom. Then there is a shelf in the main bathroom over the washer and dryer that extra things like carpet cleaner to spray and clean up messes and such is. The Windex hands from that shelf.

Sewing stuff....in a box in storage in the basement? :bag

Hair clippers are in their case under the bathroom sink. Along with a cape.

We also have like 2-3 "junk" drawers in the kitchen and we have a LOT of shelves and cabinets in the office. I guess I would need to see spaces and what you have to work with.

ValiantJoy07
02-03-2013, 02:02 AM
on kindle :)There's a bunch of misc household stuff I have trouble figuring out how to organize. So how do you organize your (pictures appreciated, but descriptions will work, too). . .

batteries
plastic shoe box
lightbulbs
bedroom closet shelf
camera and accessories
on the desk (or in drawer

other little electronic things
Desk

office supplies- staplers, scissors, pens, paper clips, etc.
I have the "school" shelf...7ft shelf on the top I have baskets with all that in mason jars

kids' art supplies
On a shelf of the school shelf in a plastic tub

candles
Kitchen cabinet

cleaning supplies
under bathroom sink and above washer/dryer

sewing stuff
Above washer dryer on shelving units

hair clippers (if you have them)
under bathroom sink

mamamonkey
02-03-2013, 08:09 AM
batteries-I have a sectioned box from Ikea that we keep the batteries in. The box is kept in the cabinet over the utility sink in the laundry room along with a small tool box of things that are used often (flat head, phillips head screwdrivers, hammer, etc)

lightbulbs-cabinet in the laundry room

camera and accessories-our digital camera is in the cabinet in the kitchen (I have a butler's pantry like area) where I keep the sticky notes, etc); the video camera is in the middle cabinet of the entertainment center

office supplies- staplers, scissors, pens, paper clips, etc.-frequently used (tape, stapler, scissors, some pens) are in an organizer in the same kitchen cabinet I mentioned above; other stock is in the basement in the computer hutch in small containers from Ikea

kids' art supplies-We have one cabinet in the same kitchen area (under the countertop) with crayons, markers, coloring books. Other supplies are in my craft room downstairs

cleaning supplies-cabinet above my kitchen sink; I have a caddy that I carry from room to room when I am cleaning; that lives in a hall closet. Extras live in the laundry room

sewing stuff-craft room (I don't have a lot of this)

hair clippers (if you have them)-top shelf of cabinet above utility sink in laundry room (we use them mostly in the kitchen)

PaperMomma
02-03-2013, 08:22 AM

hey mommy
02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Here is my system.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/04/u9e7a7e2.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/04/a6e6upev.jpg

ValiantJoy07
02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
For batteries: small clear tackle boxes (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau-Tuff-Tainer-Tackle-Box-with-Zerust-5007/16326922)are awesome for that- we always stored them under my parents bed growing up.

We don't have many batteries- or things that use batteries :O I rarely stock up on them...But I keep them in their packaging in a box on top of the desk.

abh5e8
02-03-2013, 12:27 PM
batteries = qt size ziplock bag in the door of my fridge
lightbulbs = clear plastic box c lid, top shelf of my pantry
camera and accessories = basket in hutch over my desk
other little electronic things = same basket as camera accessories (camera is usually just on top of the hutch, so i can grab it quickly but its out of reach
office supplies- staplers, scissors, pens, paper clips, etc. = basket in hutch over my computer desk
kids' art supplies = several boxes in the pantry. some they have access to, some they do not
candles = china cabinet drawers
cleaning supplies = clear plastic bins or recycled 1 gallon buckets, under the kitchen and bathroom sinks (and 1 in the landry room shelf over the washer/dryer)
sewing stuff = basket up in my closet, by the sewing machine.
hair clippers (if you have them) = kids bathroom, they have a floor to ceiling cabinet and clippers, diapers and cleaning supplies live on the top shelf

I actually REALLY like to store things where I use them. so under each bathroom sink is a package of toilet paper, toilet plunger, toilet bowel brush and a bottle of cleaning spray (vinegar + water + soap).

extra light bulbs, tools, art supplies and a few bulk food items are in the pantry. i usually iron and mend clothes in my room, so i keep those in my closet.

office supplies stay in the desk that has the computer and small file box by it.

extra homeschool supplies go in boxes on the top shelves of the book cases.

kids closet shelves (1 each, up high) hold their extra sheets and a couple boxes with clothes and shoes in the next bigger size/season.

clean cloth diapers live in the laundry basket in the family room (bc usually we change ds on the couch or in the bathroom right there). :shifty

i use a LOT of the plastic shoe boxes with lids, they are very inexpensive at the dollar store. like these. http://www.wa lmart.com/ip/Sterilite-6-Qt-Shoe-Box-White-Set-of-36/15442432 and i use my label maker a lot :)

Housekat
02-03-2013, 02:40 PM

L-Boogie
02-03-2013, 04:06 PM
I cut the tops off of a bunch of cereal and cracker boxes, leaving the bottom in tact, until they were the right height to stand up in my kitchen junk drawer. Then I paper clipped them together so they don't move around. There is a group of like items in each one:
clothespins (that I use as baggie clips)
phone chargers and headphones
batteries & battery charger
Paperclips, tape, rubber bands
Scratch paper and a pen
Screwdriver, measuring tape

I could have just bought a plastic drawer organizer, i suppose, but this was free and takes advantage of every last bit of space in the drawer :tu

Lightbulbs are in the hall closet.
Hairbands and clips are in an open plastic container under the bathroom sink because we use them so often.
The kids art supplies are in a deep drawer in the hallway (yay for built-ins!), markers, crayons and paints are separated in kid-size shoe boxes.

hellomama
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
oh man, I need this.
I can never afford (or rather don't fit it in the finances) to grab some extra boxes or storage business. ever.
I have stuff all over the house that just collects! :no
It's awful.
Looking for new ideas.

Auroras mom
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I keep the batteries and lightbulbs together in a plastic box, and it is on a shelf in the laundry room.

Kids art supplies - also in plastic boxes, on IKEA shelves mostly.

Scissors, tape, post it notes and pens are in a small drawer in the kitchen.

Camera and accessories are generally in the camera bag in either my closet or the office closet.

Aerynne
02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Wanna see how I spent my morning (Well, the part of it when I wasn't nursing someone?)
The grocery store had plastic shoe boxes on sale yesterday.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/erinolson/IMG_1632_zpsbe1bac99.jpg

Tandem mama
02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
:cup

hellomama
02-14-2013, 01:59 PM
wow! that looks great!!

librarianjojo
02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
:think Did anyone else have to do a bit of hard thinking to remember all of these locations? :shifty

batteries - We have repurposed a dresser as our TV stand in the living room. Batteries, cords, etc. live in the upper left hand drawer. We don't have a container for them, they just kind of float around. We have rechargeable batteries for AA size, so the recharger lives in that drawer too.
lightbulbs - I usually only have one on hand at a time. :shifty It lives in my laundry room.
camera and accessories - Nightstand. Not really sure why...but we have nightstands with 3 drawers each and we each have our own camera there. I should mention that we are both terrible at remembering to take pictures. I should probably move it.
other little electronic things - the aforementioned drawer of awesomeness in the living room. I highly recommend using an old dresser as a tv stand. Lots of good storage.
office supplies- staplers, scissors, pens, paper clips, etc. In green canvas baskets in a small shelf next to the desk.
kids' art supplies - I have no children and if they turn out anything like their parents, this will NOT be a problem area. :giggle
candles - I repurposed an old nightstand (that matches the aforementioned dresser o' awesomeness) as an end table. It has drawers. In those drawers live my candles and lighters.
cleaning supplies In the linen closet of my bathroom. I have a double of all-purpose cleaner under the kitchen sink with the dish detergent. I have a large bucket of cleaning rags in the bottom of the closet as well.
sewing stuff I have a very small sewing kit that can fit into my nightstand. My mother has her sewing stuff organized into large plastic bins that slide under the bed
hair clippers (if you have them) We got rid of these.

OK, I totally posted before seeing your droolworthy organization job. Those bins. Be still my heart.

curlymopmom
02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Fabulous! :rockon

crunchymum
02-18-2013, 10:29 AM
looks great!!!

mummy2boys
02-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Looks Great :tu

Those items are next on my to do list