PDA

View Full Version : Remembering to brush teeth

Naked Camper
02-01-2013, 07:30 AM
How do you encourage your kids to brush their teeth? I'm good to remember to brush mine, but have a hard time remembering to have the kids brush theirs. Any tips/suggestions? How do you remember in your home?

MomtoJGJ
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
I remember when I realize they are about to have a dentist visit :shifty

so :popcorn

Naked Camper
02-01-2013, 07:56 AM
I had a :lightbulb moment last night - have them brush teeth right after putting away their breakfast dishes

hey mommy
02-01-2013, 08:09 AM
I am so glad I'm not the only one. I always forget at night. I guess because they eat right up until they fall asleep, so there isn't a break between food and sleep. So it just doesn't get done. :bag

Katigre
02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
FWIW the most important time to brush teeth is at night. Twice a day is ideal, but if you only do it once then it should be at night.

Sent from my Android phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

MomtoJGJ
02-01-2013, 08:15 AM
I am so glad I'm not the only one. I always forget at night. I guess because they eat right up until they fall asleep, so there isn't a break between food and sleep. So it just doesn't get done. :bag

This and the fact that their toothbrushes are in our bathroom (the only place they can be without getting lost evidently) with a sleeping Penelope (not that it got done any more often before Penelope) and I don't want them messing aroudn in there while she's asleep.

hey mommy
02-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Plus, I'm honestly not sure which toothbrushes have been in the toilet and which ones haven't. :bag :sick

I guess I need to find a way to keep them locked up away from the curious toddler.

backtobasicsmum
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
We make brushing teeth part of our morning/evening routine. Morning "chore time" for each kiddo involves everyone making their bed, getting dresses, combing hair as needed, taking care of pets, brushing teeth, and cleaning glasses. I set the timer, so no one dilly-dallies and I check everyone when the timer goes.

Night time is snacks, stories, teeth, bed. Every night.

So perhaps tie the toothbrushing to some other activity that happens everyday.

Little Forest
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Ours still need reminders most of the time so we see to it that it gets done as part of the getting ourselves together routine in the morning and getting ready for bed in the evening. If we don't have them brush teeth before the bath it can be quite hard to remember for some reason. It is a part of a mental checklist we have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Naked Camper
02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I forget the bedtime one too. Maybe I just need to set a daily reminder on my phone to remember the nighttime one. :think

Katigre
02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
We make brushing teeth part of our morning/evening routine. Morning "chore time" for each kiddo involves everyone making their bed, getting dresses, combing hair as needed, taking care of pets, brushing teeth, and cleaning glasses. I set the timer, so no one dilly-dallies and I check everyone when the timer goes.

Night time is snacks, stories, teeth, bed. Every night.

So perhaps tie the toothbrushing to some other activity that happens everyday.

Same here. It's part of getting ready and we all do it together. Plus I'm still going over their teeth half the time so I'm involved in the process.

Sent from my Android phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

Naked Camper
02-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Ok, I just set a reminder on my phone for 7:45pm since their bedtime is consistently at 8. I don't know why I have such a hard time remembering, but I do.

I also just bought them last week "boring" toothbrushes so they're less tempted to wander around the house and loose theirs - something that happened all too often.

MomtoJGJ
02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Plus, I'm honestly not sure which toothbrushes have been in the toilet and which ones haven't. :bag :sick

I guess I need to find a way to keep them locked up away from the curious toddler.

I also need to find some way of getting the ever helpful children to stop using current toothbrushes to CLEAN with or at least stop putting them back in the drawer :doh Evie came in brushing her teeth the other day and Jayden said "Evie!! That's the CLEANING toothbrush!" I looked up in horror, then realized it wasn't so I said "No, that's the one she got at the dentist" Jayden answered "but I used that one to clean around the sink and toilet in the duck bathroom (kids' bathroom)"

Little Forest
02-02-2013, 08:19 PM
On the topic, once a week I soak all the toothbrushes in vinegar to freshen them. I used to do it in one glass of vinegar but after gastro spread around the family a few times I soak them individually. It keeps them nice and fresh. Now if only I could get them not to chew down and splay the bristles! I like to make the toothbrushes last.
Posted via Mobile Device