PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Flashes of Light- Worrisome?

RealLifeMama
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
It looks like someone is either taking a picture with a flash behind me or next to me. I keep seeing these flashes of light in my periphery of my left eye.
It is driving me nuts.
Other than being super annoying, should I be worried?
I do get migraines, but I have never experienced this before.

I have no insurance right now, it starts in a day and a half. Go figure!

Barefoot Bookworm
01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Mine does that when my blood pressure is too high. Sometimes that's how a migraine aura starts for me too.

Sundance
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
I was recently diagnosed with a tear in my retina, which my optometrist said wasn't something to worry about on its own. BUT, she gave me strict instructions to go to the ER if I saw flashes of light. She told me the specific area I'd see them in...so the fact that you are seeing them in the same area again and again does worry me.

LoveIsGentle
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I was thinking migraine aura too. The only other thing I can think of is retina detachment, which I have no experience with, but if the flashes kept up with no sign of a migraine, it'd be something I'd keep in mind and have checked.

Katigre
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
I would be concerned and get it checked as soon as your insurance starts.

Sent from my Android phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

RealLifeMama
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
BP is 108/78, so that is fine.

There is a cold front coming through, and that storm system that was west of here last night is headed this way, so maybe I am just in for a killer migraine. I think AF is due in a few days, so that makes sense.
Blech. I just took my last two headache pills last week.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Mine does that when my blood pressure is too high. Sometimes that's how a migraine aura starts for me too.

I have not actually been diagnosed with migraines, just headaches. But usually before a really bad headache which I assume might be a migraine I might see floaties and my upper lip goes numb. That is usually before bed, though, and then I wake up with the headache.
Never do I experience that during the day.
How long usually before your headache starts after you start seeing flashes?
They are still occuring, but I think I am growing used to them and they are less noticable. It has been about 45 minutes now.

bclemons84
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
I used to work as an optician tech for an Eye Dr. Yes! You should get it checked out, flashes could mean a tear in the retina or other problems!

LoveIsGentle
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
B
How long usually before your headache starts after you start seeing flashes?
They are still occuring, but I think I am growing used to them and they are less noticable. It has been about 45 minutes now.

My headaches have started anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour after the flashes started.

If it were me, I think I'd probably try to stay somewhere dark, take a couple Ibuprofen, close my eyes if possible, and see if they ease up.

november
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Please get it checked asap. I never run to the Dr but I don't mess around with my eyesight and that could be a sign of retinal problems or detachment. I am super cautious about this topic because BOTH of my mom's retinas detached at the same time and if she hadn't gone in and had surgery asap she probably would have gone blind. I am NOT trying to scare you but I really would get it checked right away.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

RealLifeMama
01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks, ladies.
They stopped.