PDA

View Full Version : Yeast without GMO's?

CoffeeMom
01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm trying to transition our family to a whole, real food diet. The yeast I have for bread making (starting with the bread machine first) contains "sorbitan monostearate". I looked it up and it seems this is a derivative of corn. I know most conventional corn has GMO's so it seems like we should avoid this. Is there yeast without this ingredient? Am I being too picky? :giggle I will eventually start making sourdough bread but I wanted to start with something a little easier first.

Thanks!

Kiara.I
01-29-2013, 06:09 PM
This is an interesting question. I have no idea. :giggle
So, :bump

homesteadmama
01-30-2013, 03:34 PM
:bump

I'm curious too. Thanks for bringing this up!

CoffeeMom
01-31-2013, 06:33 AM
Well, evidently no one knows. :) This is the second thread I've started that has gotten little to no response. I'm trying not to take it personally. lol

I'll ask on some of the natural foods FB pages and see what I can find out.

HadassahSukkot
01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
I've never really looked into it. My only thought was "Skip straight to Sourdough?"

homesteadmama
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Ya, I wouldn't take it personally. :hug I think it is a really good question, but not something most people have thought through. That's probably why nobody knows the answer, lol.

ValiantJoy07
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Ya, I wouldn't take it personally. :hug I think it is a really good question, but not something most people have thought through. That's probably why nobody knows the answer, lol.

:yes :hug :cup if we do find an answer.

Kiara.I
02-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Organic can't use GMO, can it?
http://www.amazon.com/Rapunzel-Yeast-Rize-Active-32-Ounce/dp/B001HTIG9U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359854812&sr=8-7&keywords=organic+yeast

HuggaBuggaMommy
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I've never really looked into it. My only thought was "Skip straight to Sourdough?"

Mine, too.

Blue-EyedLady
02-02-2013, 10:05 PM
I believe Red Star yeast in the little packets (not the jar) is corn-free. I don't know what it does have in it, though, so if it's grown on wheat and fed sugar, it could still be GMO contaminated.

Luciola
02-03-2013, 09:39 AM
I've wondered about this too. The organic yeast at our store is way more expensive and not available in bulk. So far I have just figured that it is probably ok because it's such a small amount.

CoffeeMom
02-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I've wondered about this too. The organic yeast at our store is way more expensive and not available in bulk. So far I have just figured that it is probably ok because it's such a small amount.

That's what I'm beginning to think. Eventually, we will go to sourdough but I'm just not ready for that at this stage of life. It's so much easier to throw it all in the bread machine. :giggle