PDA

View Full Version : I normally don't give cough medicine but...

JJsMom
01-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I think I need to give my 6yo something on Saturday. She was sick a few days ago and still has a bad cough. Her coughs tend to hang on long after she's over the sickness.
She is going to a Father/Daughter Ball on Saturday. This is a huge deal to her. She's been looking forward to it since she got home from it last year. :giggle She always talks about it and she has all her stuff together and ready to go. I think she will be better except for her cough. I am mostly concerned that other people will be annoyed that she is there and coughing. I would like to just give her something to calm her cough for a few hours. Any suggestions?

Weezie
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Honey?

I use Little Remedies (http://www.littleremedies.com/en/Products.aspx) for mainly dd2, as it's the only dye free thing around this area, and it's helped!

4MKfam
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Hyland's makes a homeopathic cold and cough formula. I tried it out on my son a couple days ago -he has a pretty bad cold, and it seems to have worked well on his symptoms. Haven't noticed much of a cough at all, and I'm kind of skeptical when it comes to homeopathics usually :shifty :bag.
If you want to go high-caliber, Delsym is probably the strongest thing you could try. There's a 6-12 year old dosage for it, and it's good for 12 hours. Not sure if it's dye free or not. It's a very light straw colored liquid. We used it briefly last winter for dd's cough when it got to the point that she was losing sleep over the coughing and it worked great for that. I wouldn't use it all the time, though. For one night? I think it'd probably be okay.

milkmommy
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Delsym cough syrup its my personal go to stuff for my own coughs. I get those long after illness lingering often asthmatic coughs. While a combo of lots of water letting it run its course and my inhalors/asthma meds is the "best" sometimes I jsut NEED some relief the delsym for me does the trick beacause it works buy blocking the brains cough relux and that annoying "tickle" allowing for a reprieve and eaither a quietier evening or some needed sleep.

Honey for me tastes and feels good especially with tender throat but does ziltch to help a cough.

LovinBeingMommy
01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Someone shared this natural cough remedy (http://032ad8a.netsolhost.com/madmad/2012/03/12/medicinal-sweets/#.UQFzwkp2GKz) on Facebook this morning... Maybe it would work for you?

StewardofLOs
01-24-2013, 11:07 AM
May I also suggest that you have her drink a lot of warm fluids over the next few days? I always seem to have a cough that just lingers and linger after any illness, but this last time was much better as long as I was keeping up with fluids. And I mean constantly. Water tasted yucky to me so I drank a lot of apple cider and hot chocolate.

DancingWithElves
01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
there are many natural remedies. i find none of them really work for the hanging-on benign cough :shrug honey helps for very short periods of time.
frequent high carb snacks do too.

i use mucinex when all else fails and i need results. not brand name :snooty just the knock-off ;-)

milkmommy
01-24-2013, 04:40 PM
mucinex sends my asthma into severe overdrive unfortunally. Just in case that is an issu with the OP LO.

I do second pushing fluids though the more that gunk can get flushed out the better.

Niphredil
01-24-2013, 04:52 PM
We use Delsym for lingering coughs. We use it mostly at night so the poor cougher can get some good healing rest, but it would work for well for this purpose too. :yes

MercyInDisguise
01-24-2013, 06:39 PM
We like Hyland's homeopathic cough and cold stuff, and also simmering raw honey with an equal amount of diced onion on the stove. (It's actually decent tasting and not too bad. We give a tablespoon or two every few hours.)

Annalou
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I've seen (second hand :giggle) how well raw manukah honey works on coughs :shrug

Lady Grey
01-24-2013, 07:22 PM
We also give Delsym if the coughing interrupts sleep too much.