PDA

View Full Version : Slipcovers for couch?

katiekind
01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know anything about slipcovers for a couch?

I have been thinking about buying a slipcover thingie for my family room couch. It's a fairly comfortable couch but I just want to change the color. L.L. Bean sells a nice-looking one (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36194?feat=slipcovers-SR0&page=washable-furniture-slipcovers) or there's others (cheaper) I've seen on the internet too.

My question is - can you LIVE with that kind of slipcover? Plop down on it, get up, and not have to stuff fabric back into place?

blondie
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Ours is Ikea, so it's made exactly for our couch and it's great. There are foam tubes that you use to push down into the cracks to help it stay. The fit is really snug, so it doesn't wiggle around.

mommylove
01-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I bought some fabulous red ones for Christmas from Bed, Bath & Beyond. They looked awesome . . . until they were sat on, bumped into or touched in any way. :sigh

They fit their name . . . they were covers & they slipped. Constantly.

If you buy one, my only advice is to buy from a store with a great return policy.

ncsweetpea
01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
I had one custom made for the chair and a half. It fits very well!

Prior to that I've never had luck with something off the shelf.

katiekind
01-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks.....that sort of confirms my suspicion. *Sigh*

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
01-24-2013, 09:22 AM
I cannot stand one piece slip covers. I bought this two piece one off of Amazon. I got it in Red and it was only like 40 something bucks when I bought it. The price seems to have gone up now...Dunno what your budget is

http://www.amazon.com/Maytex-Stretch-2-Piece-Slipcover-Chocolate/dp/B004H0MWGY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359044367&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=two+pice+slip+cover+microfiber

The microfiber is pretty sturdy and it washes easily. My couch is a little on the thin side, so it doesnt fill it out completely (the most annoying part being the arms) I might sew or velcro that at some point but it really does look fine when Im not being obsessive.

katiekind
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
That's encouraging! So if you plop down on it, and then get up, it still looks good?

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
That's encouraging! So if you plop down on it, and then get up, it still looks good?

Yeah, pretty decent.:shrug3 I think it would be even less of a problem if it fit my couch better. :think There are lots or reviews on Amazon also, which helped me figure out I needed to go with a two piece.

If I wasnt feeling so very very sick right now. Id totally do a before and after flop pic for you to see for yourself. :giggle....but even if I did feel well enough to take and up load pictures (and flop for that matter) my couch is currently covered in dog fur. Do NOT believe the Amazon posters who say fur doesnt stick to microfiber. :snooty

katiekind
01-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Thank you-that is all very helpful :hug and I'm so sorry you're feeling so sick. :hugheart

JoannaV
01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
It depends on the couch, the slipcover, and the people. My DH is one of those who can't seem to sit on the couch without wiggling in such a way that he pulls the back of the slipcover all the way over the back of the couch :doh

marigold
01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
I bought a slipcover that looked similar to the one in your original post and I will never buy one again. It looked great and my living room furniture matched for once but every time we sat they ended up in all sorts of strange positions and I was forvever straightening and stuffing and :ph

RealLifeMama
01-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Surefit makes a bunch of two piece slipcovers, and they cost less than the one in your link.
We have had the same slipcover for years. It is a one piece. It used to stay put, but it does not anymore. I think you might have better luck with it, because I do not think your boys are going to be jumping up and down on the couch. Just a hunch. ;)

katiekind
01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
No, :giggle you are correct, when they are visiting they don't even show signs of wishing they could jump on the couch (and no longer make forts with couch pillows)....but my dog does consider it her rightful daytime nap spot, and I love to sit there and work on the computer. And when we have company over, naturally it provides seating.

Yes, I wondered about the Surefit slipcovers. They certainly are reasonably priced.

I'm starting to think about going used-couch shopping. Or Ikea couch shopping. Blondie mentioned her Ikea couch with slipcovers. I have some Christmas money I could spend. :think

gerberadaisy
01-24-2013, 09:59 PM
No, :giggle you are correct, when they are visiting they don't even show signs of wishing they could jump on the couch (and no longer make forts with couch pillows)....but my dog does consider it her rightful daytime nap spot, and I love to sit there and work on the computer. And when we have company over, naturally it provides seating.

Yes, I wondered about the Surefit slipcovers. They certainly are reasonably priced.

I'm starting to think about going used-couch shopping. Or Ikea couch shopping. Blondie mentioned her Ikea couch with slipcovers. I have some Christmas money I could spend. :think
We have a surefit slip cover. I liked it for about 6 months. It's very pretty, but it's never fit right since washing it after that 6 months.

cbmk4
01-25-2013, 05:12 AM
My favorite slipcover I bought from Target at least 5 years ago. I may have paid $70 at most, but it was probably less. It has two pieces and adjustable ring tabs both sides in the back.

I do have to readjust it every few days, just a bit. It has been washed and dried too many times to count but hasn't shrunk or faded. I am really happy with it. The material is sturdy, kind of like a well broken in canvas (?), so not anything stretchy or thin like microfiber.

I think custom slipcovers would be so much nicer, but then they would be a ton pricier, too. My old couch under the slipcover is so well made that even though it is 20 years old, the cushions aren't sagging at all. A new couch of similar quality is out if our budget for now.