PDA

View Full Version : synthroid increase and now leg cramps

greenishmama
01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
my new dr (DO) increased my synthroid (I had been taking generic but she gave me some synthroid samples to try the new higher dose). Went from 100mcg to 112mcg. I forget what my test results were, am getting a copy of them tomorrow. But none of my levels would have even caught the eye of my old dr, or probably lots of others. I did want a new dr that would think outside the box but.... after taking it only a few days I got leg cramps. At first I thought it was from taking Mg (she had told me take more) and I experimented with diff. amounts of Mg and Ca for a few days but the leg cramps got worse. So stopped either Ca or Mg. (when I was pregnant it was Ca that got rid of my leg cramps). researched last night and saw that leg cramps can be a side effect of synthroid and on the synthroid site is listed as one of the notify your dr side effects. So this morning I did not take any- not my old dose either- none. The leg cramps are disappearing- almost gone! Called the dr. Just heard from her this evening and she said (through the nurse) to keep taking it and that taking Mg should help the cramps. :-/:shrug3
after reading last night about synthroid and side effects and getting too much... I don't want to take the higher dose. Of course I know I don't have to- I'm not being forced. Just wanted to see what some of you thought of this situation....

only read this next part if you're interested! long...
background- was originally diagnosed hypothyroid in probably 1999 or 2000 by an alternative oriented "regular" dr who looked for things like that. My levels were all within normal range but based on my symptoms put me on armour thyroid. It seemed to help. Finally was able to lose weight, not so hypoglycemic, less tire, etc. Then couldn't keep seeing him- 2.5 hours away and insurance wouldn't cover him anymore because he was "too alternative". The dr I finally went to in my town agreed to keep me on the meds but put me on synthroid instead of armour. He did not see where I needed it based on my blood levels but was trusting the other dr had good reason. So, I've been on it for years now, blood tests 2x a year usually. But I've had plenty of hypothyroid type symptoms for a few years now- tired, blood sugar issues, hormonal swings, increased hair loss, feeling cold. But as many of you know those can all be signs of other things too. I was thinking I needed more iron and this new dr said my iron was fine.

Llee
02-27-2013, 07:37 PM
What are you doing now, then?