PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractic with no results

Rea T
01-20-2013, 03:38 PM
A week ago I did something to my back...no idea what. It may be the 3 hours I spent shopping while wearing boots with a small heel (about an inch and a half). It may be accumulation from toting my backpack to the gym over one shoulder when I KNOW that's throwing me out of line. At any rate, the end result has been a week of PAIN. By Wednesday evening I couldn't walk straight, my one hip was pushing forward, to try to accommodate and avoid the muscle spasms that come whenever I do anything other than just sit. Couldn't even roll over in bed without pain.

So I went to the chiropractor on Thursday. She adjusted, did the electrical stim, and put on some tape. No real change. I went on Friday. Same thing. Left in the same amount of pain that I walked in with.

Friday evening dh sent me to urgent care and they gave me muscle relaxers. I 'think' they are helping a very small amount, although my back still feels ridiculously tight.

I have another appointment tomorrow with the chiropractor. That makes $60 shelled out over the course of less than a week for very little benefit that I can tell. I went once before when I was in less pain and only needed about 2 visits as far as I can remember.

So...how often would you keep going back? I feel like I'm throwing my money away for no results, but I don't know if I should EXPECT them yet.

And I'm so non-confrontational that I can't begin to think about how to say 'well, I'm not going to reschedule because I think this is a waste of money'.

Any thoughts?

Auroras mom
01-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I would personally be going for physical therapy and massage rather than chiro at this point.

Kiara.I
01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Yes, chiro fixes alignment of the vertebrae, but can't do anything about soft tissue damage (except prevent more from happening...)

Can you get a look at the book Pain Free by Pete Egoscue?
This position may give you some temporary relief.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7Vs5Y6gDw

Rea T
01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
OOh, thank you, I do remember doing a similar position the last time I did this several years ago and getting some relief from it. Off to find a chair.

hollybells
01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
:hug <--- very gentle

I usually just go in when things are out. Not the ideal, but it is what it is. I have had the odd time when things were acute that the first treatment really didn't do anything discernable or even left me in more pain but it's always been much better after the second treatment. I do go for massage somewhat regularly and both my chiro and my RMT are good at telling me when I need to see the other. :)

Hope you can get some relief. :hug

librarianjojo
01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I agree with Aurora. My understanding is that chiro is mostly about the bones, but a strained/tight muscle would need a massage. They complement each other. :hug Hope you find relief soon.