PDA

View Full Version : Who is house hunting?

ShangriLewis
01-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Huge giant vent ahead:shifty. I can't vent to any IRL because they all have answers for me, that I don't want to hear. I know everyone here will just be lovely and let me get my way:bag

After our last house, I wasn't sure if I ever want to own another house. But, we don't have a choice. No one wants to rent to a family our size and my parents are selling this house.

We cannot agree. I want a new house in a development of pretty little boxes, in a small city area. I want to be near the college for my older two boys and be able to get to Trader Joes and Costco in 15 minutes.

He is totally into a house that I do not want at all. It has a septic. It has a strange kitchen. It is totally inconvienant to get to the college. It has blue vinyl siding which I won't have ever again. It reminds me of the last dumb house that totally and completely represents a really awful time in our lives.

I am so afraid we are going to pick the wrong house. We cannot buy in this town because it is too expensive. So, we have to move again and I am so tired of uprooting our family. I never thought I would be. But, I am totally and completely tired of it.

Obviously I have underlying issues.

bclemons84
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
:hugheart We are in the middle of purchasing a house right now. The house we are buying is 90 miles away from where I live right now because my DH works in that town for the oil fields M-F. It is about 1/2 the size of the current town I live in. The house isn't my "dream home", it is about $50,000 more than I would have ever wanted to spend on a house but that is going price for houses in the oil patch. I also don't have any friends in this town we are moving to. I feel for you. :pray4

BearyBlessed
01-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Ugh. House hunting in this area is depressing. :(

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of "cookie cutter" houses in new developments. But, I would sure take that over what you're describing the other option as. :yes
Are there other choices, or is it pretty much down to these two?

:hugheart

FlyingBlueKiwi
01-18-2013, 09:46 PM
We're looking, and also in an expensive area. :pray4

ShangriLewis
01-18-2013, 10:36 PM
:hugheart We are in the middle of purchasing a house right now. The house we are buying is 90 miles away from where I live right now because my DH works in that town for the oil fields M-F. It is about 1/2 the size of the current town I live in. The house isn't my "dream home", it is about $50,000 more than I would have ever wanted to spend on a house but that is going price for houses in the oil patch. I also don't have any friends in this town we are moving to. I feel for you. :pray4

My husband is in Williston. But, we are buying a house here. The housing there is crazy.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Ugh. House hunting in this area is depressing. :(

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of "cookie cutter" houses in new developments. But, I would sure take that over what you're describing the other option as. :yes
Are there other choices, or is it pretty much down to these two?

No there are a lot of choices. Just the particular one he has his eye on is the one that sets me off. It isn't a bad house or anything:shrug3

I really want to be in Bremerton.

FlyingBlueKiwi
01-18-2013, 10:40 PM
NPR's Planet Money did a really interesting podcast on Williston last week.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/01/10/168972151/the-north-dakota-town-where-a-one-bedroom-apartment-rents-for-2-100-a-month

StumblinMama
01-18-2013, 10:48 PM
:raise Beginning house hunting here, too.

BearyBlessed
01-18-2013, 10:54 PM
I really want to be in Bremerton.

Oh, that sounds lovely! I've drooled about living over there somewhere. Unfortunately, a daily ferry ride isn't something we want for DH's commute. :pout Maybe someday.

ShangriLewis
01-18-2013, 11:13 PM
:raise Beginning house hunting here, too.

Yahoo. Great big hive five:rockon

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Oh, that sounds lovely! I've drooled about living over there somewhere. Unfortunately, a daily ferry ride isn't something we want for DH's commute. :pout Maybe someday.

Well, it probably isn't my dream. But, it is the best compromise I can come up with. It isn't right in Seattle, which we just cannot afford anyway. We lucked out with our rent when we lived in a Greenwood.

But, I do love the up and coming culture in the area. People are moving there instead of Seattle. And, if we move there I am going to get involved with the Kitsap Co-op. they are in the looking for places to rent stage. I crave community. I am a social introvert:giggle. I love love community and hanging out and getting organized. I just need to be able to have it available. I am terrible if it takes me an hour to get to everyone. I want to be able to drive and get there and I love having friends just stop by and chat.

illinoismommy
01-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Location can really make up for a less than perfect home. I love living in town and I wouldn't want to leave it again...

Amber
01-19-2013, 12:08 AM
There are some houses for sale in our neighborhood if you want to head a little south :grin

ShangriLewis
01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
I did consider it:heart

cindergretta
01-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Our old house might come up for sale again! :roll (Hey, if the current renters move out, they would rent to you. They rented to us!! :haha )

J and I wanted very different things. I won't go into here, but next time we get together, we can chat. :heart

:pray4 (I can't drive through little pokey neighborhoods in Seattle without thinking of you. :hug )

Waterlogged
01-19-2013, 12:52 AM
I love living in a crappy (as in old, somewhat falling apart, lots of major issues) house in the city. We lived in an awesome house in the burbs and our quality of life sucked. We comprimised on location with our Texas house, and learned to NOT compromise on location again. I totally agree with the location location location bit.

BearyBlessed
01-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I'm a social introvert, too. :giggle

I totally agree about location. It's a huge part of why we have stayed where we are for so long. Although, if DH didn't work on the Eastside, I would totally want to live in Seattle. There are so many neighborhoods over there that reminded me of the ones where I grew up in Portland. I always preferred the character of the city to the suburbs. Though, the convenience of a newer house is nice, too.

Cat
01-19-2013, 10:00 AM

My sister used to live in Bremerton.

Two Little Birds
01-19-2013, 10:13 AM
With all this Bremerton talk, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvoZKKbSjoA) is playing in my head. :heart

Amber
01-19-2013, 12:37 PM
All you city-folk crack me up. You couldn't pay me enough to get me live in a city or even the burbs again :shifty

Of course it helps that we aren't too far out there...15min from Freddy's, Costco, Home Depot and Walmart and 20min from Trader Joes, Target and the mall.

BearyBlessed
01-19-2013, 01:03 PM
That is one of my ideals, Amber. :yes

I swing back and forth between wanting a country life like that and wanting to be in the city where we can walk or take the bus to everything.

ShangriLewis
01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
With all this Bremerton talk, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvoZKKbSjoA) is playing in my head. :heart

I had no idea bringing up Bremerton could be so interesting!

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

All you city-folk crack me up. You couldn't pay me enough to get me live in a city or even the burbs again :shifty

Of course it helps that we aren't too far out there...15min from Freddy's, Costco, Home Depot and Walmart and 20min from Trader Joes, Target and the mall.

I think out this way it is easy to fill like your in town. But, in Port Orchard you have to drive 40 minutes to Trader Joes. It is shorter than that, where I am at now. But, I cannot afford to stay here.

I think having older kids pay a factor in it, too. My oldest are almost 16 and 13. We haven't found many friends around here for their ages and that is really starting to suck:-/. And, there isn't anything to do around here. I would have loved to jump on the ferry when I was a teen and just hang out in Seattle for the day.

3PeasInAPod
01-19-2013, 02:13 PM
I had no idea bringing up Bremerton could be so interesting!

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

I think out this way it is easy to fill like your in town. But, in Port Orchard you have to drive 40 minutes to Trader Joes. It is shorter than that, where I am at now. But, I cannot afford to stay here.

I think having older kids pay a factor in it, too. My oldest are almost 16 and 13. We haven't found many friends around here for their ages and that is really starting to suck:-/. And, there isn't anything to do around here. I would have loved to jump on the ferry when I was a teen and just hang out in Seattle for the day.
yk there's a Trader Joe's in Silverdale right? Of course if you live far out in PO, I guess it could take 40 min to get there....

Cat
01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
My sister lived in PO too, and it was a drive for her. She liked Bremerton more.

bclemons84
01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
My husband is in Williston. But, we are buying a house here. The housing there is crazy.[COLOR="Silver"]

The house we are buying is in Dickinson, which is straight south of Williston. So I'm trying to understand, your DH will be living/working in North Dakota and you guys will be staying out West? How does that work? :scratch

ShangriLewis
01-19-2013, 08:36 PM
I live in Gig Harbor. But, the one house we were looking at was in Port Orchard. It is a 40 minute drive to Silverdale from there. Currently, I go to Tacoma for Trader Joes and then I get to visit a GCM who lives near by:giggle

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

The house we are buying is in Dickinson, which is straight south of Williston. So I'm trying to understand, your DH will be living/working in North Dakota and you guys will be staying out West? How does that work? :scratch

We have been doing it for a year. He is planning to come home this year. He doesn't want us to live there.

SewingGreenMama
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
If you ladies don't mind me joining, we aren't looking to buy, but we are looking for a house to rent with very specific things
Good back yard, preferably fenced
Big kitchen
3-4 bedroom
One bed and bath, other then the master, be in a separate floor.
under 1300 a month.
And close to my church and local support system as ill be alone with the boys 5.2 out of 6 weeks if this schedule keeps up.
Oh and we have to be out of our current place by mid march. With money etc this move is in such a tight schedule.

It has been highly stressful. I'm just glad that homeschooling has made it so I don't have to worry about staying in a certain favored school district.

Not buying but still stressful. I can't imagine the stress in buying. Though I do dream about our own place later in our future.

ShangriLewis
01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
I found a house that is not in the area I prefer. But, I love what they did with it. It is a split level which we are considering because of how well it would fit for us. Fenced yard. Close to shopping and library and freeway. Cul-de-sac, too. Just a little high in price. Added it to my prayer list.

And, no work. Everything is done.

BearyBlessed
01-22-2013, 09:16 AM
That sounds pretty great! :pray4

We have a split level and while I super dislike it aesthetically, the layout inside works really well. :yes
It being on a cul-de-sac and needing no work sounds fantastic! :yes

Cat
01-22-2013, 09:40 AM
I'll add that to my prayer list, too! :pray4:heart

3boysforme
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi!

We are starting the process of house hunting :mrgreen. We are looking to move to an area that we are not very familiar with so we spent the day yesterday there looking at neighborhoods and trying to get an idea of where in the town we would like to live.

We are looking specifically at a certain school district and won't be able to buy until the end of the year at the earliest, but it is fun looking!