PDA

View Full Version : possible stress fracture ** update p. 6

The Tickle Momster
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
What can you tell me about stress fractures? Adeline injured herself at Kung Fu last Friday night. Saturday morning, instead of going to her next class I took her for x-rays. Nothing showed up. No swelling, no ligament damage, no fractures.

So, it's been a week. She is still having pain. They told me if it was a stress fracture it wouldn't show up on x-rays for a while.

We've kept her on light duty in classes this week. No running, jumping or certain stretches that aggravate it. The doc suggested crutches. I refused. In my house they would be a broken leg waiting to happen. :bag

SilverMoon
01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
I don't know anything about stress fractures, but I can recommend homeopathic remedies for broken bones. I imagine they would help her heal.
Symphytum is good for after broken bones/fractures to encourage healing. It's made from comfrey. It helps with bone pain, especially the gnawing type.
Eupatorium is used when bones feel broken and sometimes is given alternately with arnica to assist with pain relief. It can also be used when you have the flu to relieve that bone achiness.
Calcarea phosphoricum (3x or 6x strength) is useful to help bones heal by helping the body utilize calcium phosphate to form bone.
Ruta is major first-aid remedy for injuries to tendons and the covering of bones ( called periosteum).

My husband called symphytum "Skele-grow" because the description reminded him of the Harry Potter potion. I gave these to him after he broke his ankle, then had surgery.

Rabbit
01-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Go back to the doctor, and seriously reconsider the crutches.

Also, stay away from ibuprofen. It impairs bone regrowth.

The Tickle Momster
01-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Should we go back to the walk in or wait for Monday to see her ped? What would I need ask?

Thanks for the homeopathics too. I've got calc phos and arnica on hand and can get the other stuff easily.

Rabbit
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Your need somebody who does sports injuries, or orthopedics. The ped isn't set up to help.

The Tickle Momster
01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to update. She was in so much pain last Friday after her kung fu 'light' class, I went and got her some crutches Saturday morning. It helped remind her and me, :bag, that she needed to stay OFF. THAT. FOOT. The pain has been slowly improving. There are a few specific spots that still hurt randomly. She was able to do her KF class last night. I still have her restricted to no jumping or stomping. She was also instructed that if she had ANY pain, she was to stop and sit out the rest of class. Her instructor was fine with that. We've put the crutches away, for now, and will hope to see continued improvement.

If she hadn't shown improvement by yesterday I would have been calling the orthopedist today.

BearyBlessed
01-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm glad she's feeling better. :heart

milkdud
01-25-2013, 07:13 PM
I would find or make an ointment with comfrey. It is great for bone healing.

The Tickle Momster
01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I would find or make an ointment with comfrey. It is great for bone healing.
Would it be good for soft tissue damage as well? :think We're really not sure what damage was done. Also, where could I get comfrey easily?

milkdud
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Would it be good for soft tissue damage as well? :think We're really not sure what damage was done. Also, where could I get comfrey easily?

Yes, absolutely. Do you have any health food stores? Comfrey oil would prob be the easiest to find. I know amazon has it, if you can't find it in stores.

Codi
01-25-2013, 08:49 PM
dd slammed her finger in a door last week and it still hurts her even though X rays showed no break. The tissue around it is no doubt "hurt" though.

Sweet Life
01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Stress fracture will typically present as a very sharp and distinct pain in a single place that doesn't move around. You can palpitate somewhere right next to it and there's literally no pain, and then palpitate directly above where it is and it's excrutiatingly painful. As you've found it might not matter though, as both soft tissue damage and stress fracture require rest. Stress fractures, depending on location may take weeks to heal.