PDA

View Full Version : leg cramps- calcium or magnesium?

greenishmama
01-17-2013, 04:33 PM
My new dr told me to take magnesium. She was not concerned with calcium though I did tell her I don't eat enough greens. She thought it would help with the eye twitching I had for a while in the past (don't have it right now) and maybe my back. So I've been taking it for a couple days now and today I got a leg cramp. I got those when I was pregnant the first time and I thought it was due to not enough calcium. I just googled and did not get a clear answer. Some site and studies say that they are caused by low calcium and in one study pregnant woman had less leg cramps when they took calcium and other sites say leg cramps are caused by magnesium deficiency and to take that. I did not come across any studies that said Mg helped.

Any ideas or info you can share?

Lately there seems to be a bias towards taking lots of Mg and not so much Calcium. But I'm not really seeing scientific evidence for that. ??

Katigre
01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
What prevented leg cramps for me was one banana per day for potassium plus plenty of natural area salt which is high in magnesium.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

greenishmama
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
What prevented leg cramps for me was one banana per day for potassium plus plenty of natural area salt which is high in magnesium.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

I'll try the banana. :)I'd love an excuse to eat them- I often avoid due to the high sugar content (high glycemic index).

Codi
01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Cal/Mag COMBO.

:nak

greenishmama
01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Cal/Mag COMBO.

:nak

what does that mean exactly? I have to admit that when everyone here talks about cal/mag I'm not sure if they are referrin to a specific product or brand with that name or just the idea of taking both calcium and magnesium in one ratio or another.

Codi
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Just taking the right amount of calcium AND magnesium TOGETHER is what makes the difference. I dont have the ration on me, :nak hopefully someone will come along and share what ratio is best.

greenishmama
01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Just taking the right amount of calcium AND magnesium TOGETHER is what makes the difference. I dont have the ration on me, :nak hopefully someone will come along and share what ratio is best.

is it perhaps a diff ratio for diff people?

Codi
01-17-2013, 05:33 PM
No, just better ratios for absorption.