PDA

View Full Version : cleaning groovy tile

houseforjoy
01-16-2013, 09:51 AM
and by groovy i don't mean super peachy keen :giggle i mean pitted/textured

how do you clean this without a toothbrush and a bazillion hours? i used a shark steam mop and hands and knees bucket and rag but unless i sit there scrubbing each groove it doesn't come clean

Amber
01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Our last house has some linoleum like that. The only way I found to really get it clean was on my hands and knees with a stiff brush :hug

MarynMunchkins
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Is your grout sealed? Grout is water soluble. If it was never sealed, washing it will eventually make grooves and pits.

The real solution is to regrout and seal. :duck

houseforjoy
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
how would i know if my grout is sealed? we just bought the house a few months back so no idea. and yes the grout does get super dirty, but the tiles themselves also stay dirty, like the dirt attaches itself to the crevices and unless you really scrub it out it stays dirty

MarynMunchkins
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Oh, you don't have smooth tile. :( I'd buy a scrub brush on a handle.

Grout has to be sealed after it's dried, so most of the time, it's not done unless the home-owner does it themselves or they pay someone to come back and do it.

houseforjoy
01-16-2013, 11:27 AM
well after some googling i am gonna try using the hands and knees method with some liquid dishwasher detergent--the eco friendly stuff that does NOT work in the dishwasher, but it works great on counters and bathtubs so i am gonna try floors!! and using a scrub brush and scrubbing in a circular motion to see if that gets it---if not new kitchen tile is getting put on the master list of "stuff to do" :shifty

so is there anyway to seal grout without redoing it? it is funny that you say that though because a few days ago i was going through all their old paint cans and came across a grout sealing kit-- however that package is not opened :lol good intentions by old homeowners probably:doh

MarynMunchkins
01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
You can still seal it. :yes It's better if you do than leaving it - eventually it will disappear with enough cleaning.

BestLaidPlans
01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
and by groovy i don't mean super peachy keen :giggle

I am absolutely NO help on this thread, but I just wanted to let you know that you are right - I read it that way twice before I realized you meant it had grooves. :giggle