PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Gluten is everywhere!

Serendipity
01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Is there a really good website with a list of hidden gluten in what would seem like unsuspecting ingredients?

I've been gluten free for 15 days now...and have not experienced a single headache or migraine and *boom* got one this evening...I thought the homemade fried rice I made was gluten free but didn't think to check the soy sauce label:doh

Now I have a headache :(

ArmsOfLove
01-15-2013, 05:21 PM
all soy sauce has gluten unless you use Wheat Free Tamari :( :hugheart

This is the safe list http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

The same sight has, I believe, a danger list

Serendipity
01-15-2013, 05:27 PM
apple cider vinegar..really?

:sigh

Well I thought I had been gluten free for 15 days but I see that I've been getting more in my system than I realized.

I think I'm just sensitive too it not allergic. Maybe trace amounts don't bother me?

----------
Oh goodnes I feel stupid...I'm reading the safe list:phew

BriansLovie
01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Sorry :hugs. It is evil stuff. Watch for barley malt, it's gluten

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Apple cider vinegar is safe

marbles
01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
It gets better. At first it feels like everything is poison, but then you start to see all the things you can have and it's not so bad.

dakotablue
01-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Bragg Liquid Aminos is gluten free (its soy sauce...I mean I think its something else but really its soy sauce.) We use it all the time ;)

Its in everything. Most sad about chicken broth (some do some don't) and soups...gravy

You'll get used to checking labels :hug2

Annalou
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
apple cider vinegar..really?

:sigh

Well I thought I had been gluten free for 15 days but I see that I've been getting more in my system than I realized.

I think I'm just sensitive too it not allergic. Maybe trace amounts don't bother me?

----------
Oh goodnes I feel stupid...I'm reading the safe list:phew

I know ACV like Braggs is just apples, maybe just cheapy ACV?

Serendipity
01-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I went gluten free from october first all the way until thanksgiving (so I guess I have some practice under my belt). I was running at that time so I credited most of my feeling better to the running but when the holidays hit I was pretty much cheating 3+ times every week between tgiving and xmas. I also stopped running at this time because it got cold out...So I blamed the depression/headaches on the lack of exercise because mentally I just can't chalk up depression and migraines to one of my favorite ingredients on the planet:snooty

I've had ct scans, allergy pannels, blood tests off and on since I was 14 trying to figure out the mystery migraines that appeared after puberty and doctors always concluded it was hormonal. So I've always just given into the fact that there is nothing that can be done.

I think I've found that the answer is gluten and it really annoys me

1)It seems to be a diet trend right now...what is up with that:scratch ? Anytime I mention to people how I've switched over to GF they react as if I'm on the atkins diet or something.

2) I'm a soup/salad/sandwich kinf of a gal and I'm really craving a sandwich right now.

dakotablue
01-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I went gluten free from october first all the way until thanksgiving (so I guess I have some practice under my belt). I was running at that time so I credited most of my feeling better to the running but when the holidays hit I was pretty much cheating 3+ times every week between tgiving and xmas. I also stopped running at this time because it got cold out...So I blamed the depression/headaches on the lack of exercise because mentally I just can't chalk up depression and migraines to one of my favorite ingredients on the planet:snooty

I've had ct scans, allergy pannels, blood tests off and on since I was 14 trying to figure out the mystery migraines that appeared after puberty and doctors always concluded it was hormonal. So I've always just given into the fact that there is nothing that can be done.

I think I've found that the answer is gluten and it really annoys me

1)It seems to be a diet trend right now...what is up with that:scratch ? Anytime I mention to people how I've switched over to GF they react as if I'm on the atkins diet or something.

2) I'm a soup/salad/sandwich kinf of a gal and I'm really craving a sandwich right now.

Udi's bread is really really good :hug2

:) (Gluten was the issue with my hormones, skin, asthma, and weight gain...and technically I've never tested as 'actually' being allergic)

AmyDoll
01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Target Brand soy sauce is Gluten Free and so is LaChoy soy sauce :tu

milkdud
01-15-2013, 06:13 PM
It frustrating that it's so hidden.

When we were gf, we liked udi's for sandwiches. :)

marbles
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
I read something, it was on CNN I think, that said since the 70s the wheat we've been eating has had a new protein in it, giadin(?), and the dr guy who wrote it said he thinks its really that new protein that is affecting people and that's why we're seeing such a huge rise in the number who people who can't eat it. He said there are thousands of people cutting out wheat and losing significant amounts of weight, becoming disease-free and regaining neurological normalness. Interesting theory I thought. He recommended that everyone cut out gmo wheat.

dakotablue
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
I read something, it was on CNN I think, that said since the 70s the wheat we've been eating has had a new protein in it, giadin(?), and the dr guy who wrote it said he thinks its really that new protein that is affecting people and that's why we're seeing such a huge rise in the number who people who can't eat it. He said there are thousands of people cutting out wheat and losing significant amounts of weight, becoming disease-free and regaining neurological normalness. Interesting theory I thought. He recommended that everyone cut out gmo wheat.

:think I have thought there might be something like this going on. Whether mold, pesticides or processing that has made my body react to it, rather than a true allergy. Kinda allergy training if you will.

HadassahSukkot
01-16-2013, 05:41 AM
Hidden gluten is so hard. This is why, when people ask me what to do or what we did - I mention that it is so much easier if you just commit to shopping in a C shape in the grocery store. C being the shape you'll make when you walk in, go to produce, dairy/eggs, frozen goods, then your basics area and get out without looking at anything in the center area that is all "SAD" processed stuff.

I wish someone had talked to me/us about Paleo and GAPS long before now, because honestly - that would have helped loads more than just tailoring gluten free to a SAD-esque diet. We are adding more Paleo and GAPS recipes to our diet, and I'm really enjoying it. I used to eat a lot better, but we fell into SAD while I was very sick and unable to do a lot of the cooking. DH's diet is very, very processed and I'm having to help undo over 30 yrs of damage. It's hard, hard work and he has many health issues, most of which tie down to the processed diet and his refusal (and his mom's) that some of his behavioral issues and ezcema issues = diet.

I'm revamping our pantry, and while there are some items in there like bread and pasta, I've been limiting them a lot. I can't think when the last time was I had pasta. The kids have had it for their lunch, but I've not had any lately. I've been doing spaghetti squash instead.

Hidden gluten is practically in anything you could ever process. So label reading will have to become second nature if you get a lot of processed items. Otherwise, making your own and canning/freezing will become your reality.

Sometimes I am simply amazed at where gluten can be hidden (et tu frozen veggies?? et tu??) - and I have noticed that sometimes store brand items will be less "squidgy" than the name brand stuff. I can get frozen veggies from 2 different store brands on several things that will have no gluten. If I go name brand - gluten every single time.
On other things, I have to go name brand, because store brand has gluten every single time. I would can, except my counter top is ceramic and I'm still looking for a pressure canner. Looks like I'll have to get one in the USA and ship it here. I've literally looked everywhere and people just say "Yeah, we don't do that any more."

There's a book out there, if you're interested in making your own stuff that is an older book. SOME of the items are very gluten stuff, but she has alternatives for making your own mayo, ketchup etc - and if you didn't want to do GAPS, her recipes do work and have sugar vs. honey. The book is called "Cheaper and Better (http://www.amazon.com/Cheaper-Better-Homemade-Alternatives-Storebought/dp/0060960574/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1358337852&sr=8-6&keywords=cheaper+is+better)" Her recipes for making up herbs and sauces and such, for the most are gluten free. If you ask what you can sub for items and such - I'm pretty sure all us GFers could put our heads together and help you out.

AFA the difference in the wheat of today and the wheat of 50 years ago, this might help:
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/on-the-evils-of-wheat-why-it-is-so-addictive-and-how-shunning-it-will-make-you-skinny/
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/hybrid-wheat-not-the-same-as-gm-wheat/

Depending on your genes, what you are eating, how it was grown and HOW you are eating it - will depend on whether wheat, barley, rye, oats and even corn are good for you.

Gliadin and Gluten have always been there in the grain. It's how those two things have changed, and how our diets have drastically changed in the last 50-100 years that has seen more and more people getting sick, not just Celiacs.

WI Mama05
01-16-2013, 05:50 AM
I'm beginning on this journey again :cup

Katigre
01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
To be clear, it's not "gmo wheat" but "modern dwarf wheat" that is the problem. I think it's evil :shifty

It's becoming trendy because it's hotting a critical mass of people trying gf out and feeling better plus marketers making gf labeled products.

Ita that paleo recipes are great for doing easy gluten free that tastes good.

You can do coconut aminos in place of soy sauce too.

Hint: www.vitacost.com and amazon subscribe and save will be indispensable for getting gf stuff for cheapest.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)