PDA

View Full Version : What is that smell?

Charlie U
01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I bought a much "coveted" bag at Goodwill today. :grin It's larger than my current purse, is better structured than my last fabric purse, and has a zipper. All musts in my purse list.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

I took a whiff of it before I started transferring my stuff. I had just looked at it to make sure it was structured how I wanted. It's stinky. Like old, musty perfume stinky. It's on the couch about 5 feet away from me and I can smell it.

Now. I will not put it in the washing machine. I'm pretty sure it's not machine washable anyway.

Tell me, how do I get the stinky out? :help I mean, I'm ready to banish it to the garage to air out. :shifty I'm afraid the wildlife around our house will DIE because the stinky is taking up all of the oxygen.

WildFlower
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
you could try sprinkling baking soda inside and zip it up for a while or put it in another bag to seal it up. Then use the vacuum to clean out the baking sode afterwards. You said it's fabric, why won't you wash it?

Charlie U
01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
I didn't think I could. I just looked it up, and you can wash these in the washing machine with vinegar and hang it to dry. Just remove the cardboard insert. Of course, that will still be smelly. I think I'll give it a whirl.

houseforjoy
01-15-2013, 01:02 PM
yep a good heavy sprinkle in baking soda let it sit for 24hours, then shake it out and air it out, then repeat as needed

librarianjojo
01-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Could you replace that cardboard insert by cutting another piece of cardboard to the same size? That way you won't be putting a stinky piece of cardboard back inside a clean purse.

Charlie U
01-15-2013, 07:31 PM
The insert is wrapped in fabric to match the purse. One trip through the washer with vinegar did nothing but brighten the fabric. I want to wash it again, but with laundry soap, I think. (One site said regular laundry soap is okay and the other said vinegar only.)

I'll either wash it again tonight or wait until tomorrow. Depends on whether or not I can stay awake. :shifty

RiverRock
01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Can you leave it outside to air for a few days? I've never bought the stuff, but apparently unscented Febreeze works to remove odours--who woulda' thought, right?

Charlie U
01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I think I may put it in the garage. Outside isn't doable. :( I did buy some fabric refresher. I usually don't use the stuff, but I thought if a second wash doesn't work, I would try airing it out in the garage, then spraying.

houseforjoy
01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
if the washing doesn't work the baking soda will --- try it!! :poke

Charlie U
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I washed it with detergent last night. :yes I haven't sniffed it today, but it seems to have worked. :shifty The vinegar helped the colors and the detergent may have eliminated the smell.