PDA

View Full Version : homeade lotion/moisturizer recipes needed

greenishmama
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
If you have a recipe or link of just a quick list of ingredients of a homeade body moisturizer or lotion that you make and use and... that doesn't spoil or get moldy quickly and that you use or could use on your kids easily please share! :)
Thanks!

I want to add: I know I can "google" for a recipe and I have. But I'm really interested to find out what people are actually using and like, especially on their children. Something that doesn't spoil after a week or else how best to contain and apply a week's worth while the rest is in the fridge. Sometimes I wonder about recipes online- if those blogging or posting about them actually have used them for a while or continue to or if it's something they just found and invented and then posted about it with some great photos and then a few weeks later they realize it wasn't that great for one reason or another.

milkdud
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
:popcorn

MercyInDisguise
01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
I just use straight coconut oil. :shrug

greenishmama
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM

I have found it's actually not strong enough in the winter. It seems more like a dry oil. but how do you actually put it on? when I've tried it just crumbles and chunks fall on the floor and it's a real nuisance.

Elora
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
I have found it's actually not strong enough in the winter. It seems more like a dry oil. but how do you actually put it on? when I've tried it just crumbles and chunks fall on the floor and it's a real nuisance.
I can get it to "melt" in my hands, but I swear it stains my nice tops. It pools in my belly button or on my creases, and then absorbs into my tops, and ruins my blouses. Not -everything- so cotton tops and jeans it washes right out...but other materials :no not so much

HomeyT
01-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Have you used shay butter based creams before? I made myself one I like. Super creamy! I can dig out the recipe. But I think it's shay, coconut, some vit e, eos you choose...I believe that's it.

greenishmama
01-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Have you used shay butter based creams before? I made myself one I like. Super creamy! I can dig out the recipe. But I think it's shay, coconut, some vit e, eos you choose...I believe that's it.

sounds good. I haven't heard of shay butter. shea butter? is that something?

how do you put it on once it's made? scoop it out?

Annalou
01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
:popcorn I'm curious what other mama's do too!

I have used coconut oil with some EOs like TTO and Lavender for summer
but for winter I like to switch between Argan oil, and shea
they seem to moisturize differently, the shea is more like a heavy night time moisturizer

staceylayne
01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
I recently made hard lotion bars of equal parts shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax. (I also subbed cocoa butter for the CO in one batch and is smells like chocolate...heavenly!) I *think* if you reduced the beeswax then the resulting product would be less firm and maybe a bit easier to apply on a little one? The great part about experimenting from home is if your first try dosen't end up quite right you can melt it down again and mess with the proportions...add little more of this or that.

Maybe try searching "homemade lotion" on pinterest?

HomeyT
01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
sounds good. I haven't heard of shay butter. shea butter? is that something?

how do you put it on once it's made? scoop it out?

Lol yes Shea....I knew it was wrong but at the time my brain was not working!
I keep it in a jar in the bathroom, just scoop out some with my fingertips. It is a very heavy cream, so I only use it on very dry parts and at night on my face.