PDA

View Full Version : hard water?

abh5e8
01-13-2013, 10:34 PM
its bad. so what to do? pros/cons of a watersoftener?

and how do i clean the shower door? i scrubbed and scrubbed...no more soap scum but tons of the white scales. (i know squeegee after showers, but we just moved in and the build up is old).

any other thoughts? tips?

i've been using bottled water in the iron and steam mop.

tazmom
01-13-2013, 10:47 PM
After having to replace the dishwasher twice because hard water buildup seized the engine, we installed a water softener. I'm so glad we did it. I didn't like adding so much salt to our drinking water, so we used the potassium pellets instead. Dh would check the level once a week to see if it needed filling. That's all, so simple.

I like Lime Away for getting off the really bad hard water stuff. That stuff is amazing.

cbmk4
01-14-2013, 06:38 AM
We have hard water. It's also acidic. We have both a softener and a neutralizer. Those systems were already here when we bought the house. We would have had to install them otherwise, because the acidic water erodes through the copper pipes over time!

Lime Away works for the hard water stains/scales but I also have had good luck with Seventh Generation bathroom cleaner.

Auroras mom
01-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Vinegar can help with the mineral scale sometimes as well.

Softened water can do weird things to your skin and hair, but so does hard water. (Also, as ppp mentioned, don't drink the softened especially if you use the sodium systems, but even the potassium ones can be problematic if anyone has kidney problems or is on medication that already influences their potassium levels.)