PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this?

jewel97
01-13-2013, 09:40 PM
So I was just on pinterest and saw 10 best Christian parenting books and in the picture was grace based parenting. So I open it to see what all it has to say and of course its a link to a blog and I can't find the list of books but under the parenting section of her page someone asked her about discipline and this is how she starts

" God put Jonah in a divine time-out in the belly of a whale for 3 whole days! So clearly – removing our child for the situation and giving them a quiet place to think about their choices is a wise method to bringing our children to repentance and change."

She then goes on to say how to do time out. Stay calm, tell them to think about why they did what they did and why its wrong, and set a timer, and walk away, blah, blah, blah.... ( I stopped reading:) )

But what about her comparison to Jonah in timeout? I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Sonata
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Hmm. I kind of thought we were NOT supposed to be like Jonah!

charla
01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
I thought the big fish was a picture of grace, of salvation. Without it, Jonah in all probability, would be dead.

jewel97
01-13-2013, 10:26 PM
I thought the big fish was a picture of grace, of salvation. Without it, Jonah in all probability, would be dead.

Oh yeah... Your right, thank you. Because something bad would have eaten him:)

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

Hmm. I kind of thought we were NOT supposed to be like Jonah!

True, but I don't think that was her point... It was more that God gave him a time out...

MegMarch
01-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I'll start calling big fish "naughty steps" right away.

I think taking one example of a grown man in a fish to mean children need corners/steps/rooms to get towards repentance is a stretch. Did God really tell Jonah "now I want you to think about your behavior and feel good and bad about it for a few days now" or was something else going on?:-/

duckwithoneleg
01-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah... Your right, thank you. Because something bad would have eaten him:)[COLOR="Silver"]

Or he would have drowned? Or frozen to death? Isn't ocean water supposed to get pretty cold where it's super deep?

jewel97
01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
I guess too that we are not suppose to be like God. We are suppose to be like Jesus, right? Jesus didn't put his disciples in time out lol

Starfox
01-14-2013, 07:00 AM
God told Jonah to go right. Jonah went left. God had Jonah in the belly of the whale and had him go right. :giggle

To me the story is not a "time out" but more of a "gentle redirection." :giggle

Titus2Momof4
01-14-2013, 08:42 AM
God told Jonah to go right. Jonah went left. God had Jonah in the belly of the whale and had him go right. :giggle

To me the story is not a "time out" but more of a "gentle redirection." :giggle

:yes

Also, please do not confuse ME with the aforementioned blogger.:doh I have no such nonsense on my blog. :(

Sonata
01-14-2013, 01:11 PM
:yes

Also, please do not confuse ME with the aforementioned blogger.:doh I have no such nonsense on my blog. :(
:hug I can see how this would be distressing to you!

I think it's really great that you are bringing this up here. It sounds to me like it kind of rubs you the wrong way, but you would like a discussion to understand your feelings and logic better. I think GCM is a really great place to bring up ideas and get a sense from other people about them, in order to refine one's own opinions and understanding. :tu

*I* have learned new ways of looking at the Jonah story already!

Titus2Momof4
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Me too... I've never really given much thought to it before but definitely don't agree with the viewpoint in the OP. :no

jewel97
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one... I didn't like it either.

Little Forest
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Yes! It is a very good example of making things happen and redirection!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rabbit
01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Making it happen and redirection is my interpretation as well. He insisted on going the wrong way, all the way to sea, where turning around is not nearly so easy, so God put him in a fish that carried him back to where he was supposed to be, and let the boat go on about its business.

I've carried many a toddler out of situations, in my mean mean arms.

HadassahSukkot
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
you might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsAcI4dXK48

Traditionally, Jonah is read during Yom Kippur. The main things touched on:
1. No one is out of reach of God's hands, anywhere.
2. Mercy is available if you do teshuva...
3. Atonement is collective, AND personal...