PDA

View Full Version : RV Living?

Prism
01-09-2013, 10:16 PM
I know a couple of people here have done this.... How was it?

DH is currently in school to become a respiratory therapist, and will graduate in 2 years. We are seriously considering buying an RV and going the "traveling" respiratory therapist route, at least for a year. The reason we are considering this is because we really don't want to live where we are now AND to top it off the respiratory therapist who DH shadowed Tuesday said that it was a good thing we wanted to move because jobs here were scarce.

Traveling for a year or two would get DH a lot of experience, and we would be able to see a lot of the places we have thought about moving to without having to commit right away, or move only to find out there are no jobs available.

Currently we only have DD, who is 6. By the time he graduates she will be freshly 8. I really hope to have a baby before then, but with the fertility complications I am having, I may not be able to get pregnant on my own, in which case we would pursue fertility treatment after he graduates. We would be in each place 8-12 weeks. So, 8 year old, and a 2-newborn-TTC baby, plus the both of us. WDYT? Oh, we do homeschool, so that wouldn't be much of a problem. I assume we would keep our current residency until we actually "settled" somewhere. So we would just keep following our home state laws, correct? (Not to mention, i think it would be amazing for her!)

We are brats of course, and would be aiming for places we want to live, as well as trying to get close to attractions we want to see. :shifty

thomer
01-09-2013, 10:20 PM
We live in an RV! :jump

We don't travel though, we're just stationary. And it's late so I can't write a long post, but I'm glad to talk about it! :)

I also blog about it sometimes and my DH really blogs about it - there are lots of good RV blogs out there.

We love it, btw. :mrgreen

Prism
01-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Great! If you want to link me to your blogs, i'd be happy to read them! :D

thomer
01-09-2013, 10:29 PM
www.life-awesome.com (http://life-awesome.com/) is me

www.howiwreckedmylife.com (http://howiwreckedmylife.com/) is DH - he links to a lot of other blogs too. :)

Prism
01-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Thank you! :D I got curious and clicked on your name, which took me to your blog. It was easy to find his from there too. *lol* But i do appreciate you coming back with links! :heart

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

One thing his post have me convinced of... try to stay in warmer states during the winter. :giggle

Autumn
01-09-2013, 10:45 PM
:cup Just reading and following along :heart

Vipers_Princess
01-09-2013, 10:46 PM
In 2 years (or less, pending family commitments) we will be FOTR. Dh and I plan to do a bit of workamping, as well as put our skills and degrees to use. We are currently working to build a bit of dwonpayment/expenses/repairs fund.

Have you visited http://www.familiesontheroad.com/fotr.html yet? The page in the link is page 1 of the blogroll. The rest of the site is super useful as well. Budget outlines and real world budgets from families of all sizes, forums (though their FB moves a lot faster) tips thoughts advicie of all sorts. There are a couple of traveling nurses on there already as well.

mountainash
01-09-2013, 10:46 PM
We are currently saving for an RV. :popcorn

These facebook groups are excellent resources. I'm sure you'll get lots of insight if you post your questions there.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/nomadicmama/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ftrving/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/FulltimeFamilies/

Vipers_Princess
01-10-2013, 06:19 AM
We are currently saving for an RV. :popcorn

These facebook groups are excellent resources. I'm sure you'll get lots of insight if you post your questions there.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/nomadicmama/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ftrving/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/FulltimeFamilies/

Thanks. I can't ever get FB groups to link right. I don't post to nomadic mama anymore but it def has some good resources. Are you on the ones for future RV people?

mamacat
01-10-2013, 06:42 AM
We did for a couple of yrs including one very cold winter in NH. Totally doable.Was freezing in our RV but people next to us at campground were quite warm in their 5th wheel. If had it to do over would get a 5th wheel type trailr and a sep. truck so dont have to unhook whole rig or have RV and sep vehicle.Many of the RVs now have bunks for kids which are nice and queen or kingsized beds which I woul recommend even if you co-sleep right now it is nice to have the bunks to use.We knew a family with 2 little girls and one on the ay who were also fulltiming and both girls slept on bottom larger bunk nd used top for their toys and things.I miss it and pray the Lord will heal me to get back to that again.

Vipers_Princess
01-10-2013, 06:52 AM
One thing to consider when determining RV + Toad (towed vehicle) vs truck and 5th wheel is intended journey. If you will be doing a lot of high wind areas, mountain passes, and questionable weather areas, wind and weight resistence become a factor witth a 5th wheel or travel trailer. With a claa A or C with a Toad in the 4 down setup, you can drive the toad seperately in those areas/conditions and have fewer issues.

mamacat
01-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Just took a quick look at your blog Tracy andmade me omesick for our RV days - well some of them anyway. Looks like you have a newer one than ours is so probably better insulated and that sort of thing. Loved pics of visitors.We were travelling for a time with a family and a single guy and our RV was the main meeting place so on a regular basis we had 5 adults & 6 kids in there. 2 adults sitting in front seats that turned - 3 or 4 on couch and one in arm chair across fom couch .Kids would usually sit in dinette and play games or be back on the big bed watching a movie . 2 youngest were baby/toddler age and would be worn(baby) or passe around while toddler usually ran up and down playing from where older kids were back to adults. It was comfortable

Prism
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the information!

I won't be joining any facebook groups. My mom will freak and it's too soon for that. *lol* We don't even know if this is the route we will choose. We are going to pray and research a lot!!

mandieolivia
01-11-2013, 05:25 PM
yes, please!

Vipers_Princess
01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Going to the winter RV show tomorrow. Soo excited. These models will be out of our price range but its fun to look, and als get a feel for the dealerships.

Prism
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
The RV price is something that holds us back. DH mentioned keeping our apartment, but then that would soak up a lot more money then we would want. Plus $600 a month for an apartment we will only be living in part time sounds like blah. I could also see us being an easy target for theft doing that.

mamacat
01-16-2013, 01:00 PM
because of economy is a buyers market right now for RVs

thomer
01-16-2013, 01:40 PM
The RV price is something that holds us back. DH mentioned keeping our apartment, but then that would soak up a lot more money then we would want. Plus $600 a month for an apartment we will only be living in part time sounds like blah. I could also see us being an easy target for theft doing that.

Yes, that was one of my conditions too. I told DH there was no way I was going to have to do upkeep on TWO houses, much less the money aspect of it.
We owned the RV for about 6 months before moving in. It probably would have been sooner but we bought it right when winter started.

Vipers_Princess
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
There are some really good recent year used models to be had for less than $50k. With a 2 child family, you could buy a former rental for around $25k which would make the payments $200-$400 a month.

Tracy, did you have a thousand trails or PPA membership to offset campground costs?

thomer
01-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Tracy, did you have a thousand trails or PPA membership to offset campground costs?

We have Good Sam which is insurance but also gets you some campground discounts. DH said that if we camped more we'd get Passport America.

macksmom
01-17-2013, 09:15 PM
We have been in a fifth wheel full time for just under two years. We were hoping to hit the road but hubby's job evened out and I started work among here at the place we are staying. Winters in MI aren't the greatest, but it's been great for us! I don't know that we will do this forever...but I'm so happy we have so far.

Prism
01-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Macksmom, that's awesome!

you could buy a former rental for around $25k which would make the payments $200-$400 a month.

That is great! How do you go about buying former rentals? Do you contact rental companies and just ask if they aer selling?

ALSO... DH was looking at RVs on Craigslist. This is not a man who looks up things "just because" This might actually happen. We decided that we would buy and pay off the RV and save $5,000 in case it broke down we could fix it with out the fear of being stranded. We found some 80s models for $5,000 here. It wouldn't be the best, but if the RV broke down so badly that we couldn't fix it, maybe we could find another one to get into.

KLin
01-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Ww looked for two years, wanted a Class C. Found a used Newmar Class A that was 10+ yrs old with minimum miles and a great maintenance record. Got the RV and a tow car for less than $25K. We stripped all the carpet and put in spray in bed liner for cab and side stairs and laminate wood floors for easy cleaning and to keep dust down. Replaced all belts, hoses, tires and fluids.

We took it around the state, Up the Cal coast and ended up buying a chunk of land in the Mountains. Now the RV lives on the property with a well and solar power. We took it to Cal for DH business trip and Thanksgiving the last two yrs.

We have two boys, they were 7 and 5 when we started and now are 10 and 8. I homeschool and they do great on the road. DH lost his job last year so we cancelled our cross country trip this year. Maybe next yr.

Hope you find what you need and have a great adventure. We have the National Park pass each year and can dry camp with the generator when we want. We also are Good Sam members.

We would love to be on the road more. We spent most of the warm months in the RV in the Mountains, the guys go a few times in the winter to Skii/snowboard. We feel at home in the RV.

Vipers_Princess
01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Cruise America lists theirs on their site on the left hand side toolbar. Others likely have the same system, they're just a huge nationwide one with sales offices everywhere.

Prism
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Someone who lives in an RV should give a video tour of their home. :giggle I am especially interested in toys/toy storage. I feel like DH and I are fine being minimalist, but DD on the other hand... :shifty I'm thinking about maybe getting one with bunk beds. Then she could sleep in one and have her toys in another one. :giggle

I am also curious about newborn living in an RV. What would that set up be like?

Yes i know i need to go read through some of those blogs. :giggle

mamacat
01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
We have an older class A Eurocoach and it has solid wood inside much sturdier than some newer models so if could find an older luxury inits day kind for cheapo can be a plus just maeke sure no hidden leaks which ours had trouble with. Bunk is good place for toys. Our friends hsd 4 kide jn an RV and they had a mini o sleeper for NB and a pack n play set up for toddler in frknt area and 2 olderboys slept on a futon kn front part. We had no bunks but hwd bkg and many storage bays outside and each dc had a smwller one ofr their toys.Our sofa bed hwd a drawer underneath for linens but kept bookw and homeschool supplies in there. We had small overhead cabinets over couch qnd dinette so each dc had 3 and all of their clothes were fo,ded and kept there.We had a walk thru bathroom that hqd a c.oset for washer dryer and th3n a largish closet which we kept clothes on hangers in http://for-sale.yakaz.com/euro-coach-rv this is a sorter version of ours which is 38 ft so has more of the outside storage compartments

Prism
01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
lol i bet you typed that on a phone huh? :giggle

Prism
01-25-2013, 11:36 PM
So.... i guess we are telling people. :shifty DH has told his BIL and I briefly spoke to his mom about it. This means it will be circulated through the entire family before morning.

DH even explained that we would want a bigger one so we'd have room for DD and another baby. :rockon

Ladies... I am 99% sure this is going to happen!

Vipers_Princess
01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Congrats! I am almost jealous. I say almost because we can't leave until my daddy passes and even thouggh I know he's feeling poorly and in decline memory wise, I can't be anxious for that day....