PDA

View Full Version : Oscillococcinum???

easygoinmomma
01-09-2013, 08:03 AM
What can you tell me about it?

:popcorn

Carini
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm guessing you're looking for more than just what you can Google....

I took it the day after I started getting flu symptoms (I didn't have any on hand). I honestly think it (or something else I was taking) shortened the duration of my flu. I was also taking elderberry syrup, Emergen-c and Vit D, so who knows.

It comes in a little vial with tiny beads. I think you take one vial every six hours. They're mostly tasteless with just a little bit of sweetness. If I got the flu again, I would take it, or give it to my DD. I did read a study that said it was something like 20% more effective at reducing the duration of flu than a placebo. That seems like a pretty good indication that SOMETHING in there works. :shrug3

easygoinmomma
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
:yes Yes, looking for more then google can tell me.

Is it just for flu or colds too? At what age can you take it at? Does it expire quickly?

Carini
01-09-2013, 12:58 PM
My understanding is it's for "flu-like" symptoms. I guess that could include colds. I probably wouldn't take it for a cold due to the price, but I might if it was a bad enough cold.

I think it is for ages 2 and up and their website says it has a 5 year shelf life. This might help, too.

http://www.oscillo.com/cough-cold-flu/faq/

zak
01-09-2013, 01:05 PM
I buy big boxes of it from Vitacost. Hubby and I take it if we are exposed to anyone with a cold. I give maybe 5 of those tiiiiiiny pellets to each child every 30 minutes for a few hours too.

We seem to think it helps.

easygoinmomma
01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Thank you ladies.

Soliloquy
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
If stored properly it will never expire. Keep away from EMFs and strong odors like EOs.

Any age can take it.

It is for any symptoms that match the description on the label, it doesn't matter what you actually have.

It does not prevent sickness or fight pathogens, it helps the body in the process of healing. If you don't have the symptoms that match the proving on the homeopathic ingredients, it won't do anything.

I have used it for serious flu symptoms and noticed improvement very quickly. You repeat your dose as soon as your symptoms start to worsen again, don't dose by time. Don't take more than you need, either. If you have steady, rapid improvement, don't take another dose unless you start to regress. If your symptoms change to something not on the label, you'll need a different remedy.

Carini
01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
I knew an expert would come along! :)

easygoinmomma
01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Thank you Lisa. What are EMF's?

Soliloquy
01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Electromagnetic fields. Anything plugged in. Outlets, too. A sock drawer is a good place to store it. Or on a shelf in a closet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ECingMama
01-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I took it for my recent bout with the flu. I think it helped tremendously. I felt like my body was working hard to heal!

We start giving it to our kids between 1 and 2, but we also have a trusted homeopathic doctor. The package says 2, I think.

Mother of Sons
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
I took it the other day when I felt symptoms come along. I also took sambucol. Whatever I had never took hold. We do usually take it at the beginning of the flu season as a preventative though and it's always worked really well.

homesteadmama
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
In the last few days, all five of us have had the flu (DD, DS1, and DH all were puking last night). I dug out my box of this that is bought on VitaCost, and started dosing. I really think its helped all of us have a shorter flu. Mine only lasted about 12 hours, and the same with DD and DS1. I even have it to my (barely) 2yo, and it helped him. :yes

And they love it because its sweet, and tiny little balls. :)

Elora
01-10-2013, 09:47 AM
It seems to help. And I'm a skeptic, so to admit it even seems to help is a step for me lol. I'm not going to say that for sure it works every time. But it does actually seem to help.

sweetpeasmommy
01-10-2013, 07:10 PM
The last time I caught the flu, I did not have this but another homeopathic flu remedy. you know how if you've had the flu, been swabbed and told it's the flu you forever just *know* exactly how it feels. I went to bed mid afternoon and took the remedy every 15 min all day long. I woke up the next day good as new. :rockon this is what i had http://www.vitacost.com/source-naturals-wellness-flu-guard

Hannah Elise
01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
My understanding is it's for "flu-like" symptoms. I guess that could include colds. I probably wouldn't take it for a cold due to the price, but I might if it was a bad enough cold.

I think it is for ages 2 and up and their website says it has a 5 year shelf life. This might help, too.

http://www.oscillo.com/cough-cold-flu/faq/

I gave it to my ds when we had flu go through the house... he was 21mo.

Cheapest place is Amazon - I got thirty doses for something like $24. Significantly cheaper than twelve doses for $15 at Walmart, which is the cheapest I've seen it brick and mortar.

Oh, andI discovered that regular osci and "children's" osci are thesame dosage and everything... just different packaging. Won't be ordering both next time. :p

easygoinmomma
01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I'll have to look, but I am guessing that amazon.ca doesn't have it and I haven't looked into what it cost here yet. I am a little scared too. :-/

Zooey
01-11-2013, 03:33 PM
If stored properly it will never expire. Keep away from EMFs and strong odors like EOs.

Any age can take it.

It is for any symptoms that match the description on the label, it doesn't matter what you actually have.

It does not prevent sickness or fight pathogens, it helps the body in the process of healing. If you don't have the symptoms that match the proving on the homeopathic ingredients, it won't do anything.

I have used it for serious flu symptoms and noticed improvement very quickly. You repeat your dose as soon as your symptoms start to worsen again, don't dose by time. Don't take more than you need, either. If you have steady, rapid improvement, don't take another dose unless you start to regress. If your symptoms change to something not on the label, you'll need a different remedy.
What Lisa said.

When I was first learning about homeopathy, I read a book by a woman who was a homeopathic doctor. Her grandfather, I think it was, was one, & she had some rarer remedies that had been his. He told her when she was a little girl, that a bottle of a remedy that is properly cared for, should be good for at least 50 or a 100 years according to his teachers.
The dates on the packages are required by law here in the US, & I imagine other places are the same. But they are only there to meet legal standards; you would never need to repalce it unless it were somehow contaminated.
Osccillccoccinum is excellent, IMO.

Iarwain
01-11-2013, 05:41 PM
It's awesome if it's the right remedy for what you have. Because it works by stimulating your body's own healing process it works best when taken early while you still have resources left to marshal. If you wait until you've been down for three days and your body is worn out with fighting the bug it may help some but won't be nearly as effective.

If you're familiar with standard homeopathic dosing you know that there's no need to use the whole vial. I usually fill the wider end of the inner plastic cap for a single dose so one package treats the whole family.

Soliloquy
01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
If you're familiar with standard homeopathic dosing you know that there's no need to use the whole vial. I usually fill the wider end of the inner plastic cap for a single dose so one package treats the whole family.

:yes And that makes it much more affordable. 2-4 pillules should be enough.

JenLovie
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Do you notice any issue with the lactose in it? I have some but avoided it when I got sick because I'm DF for DS2.

Soliloquy
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Do you notice any issue with the lactose in it? I have some but avoided it when I got sick because I'm DF for DS2.

I think you'd have to be extremely sensitive to react to it. Most people who need to df react to dairy protein, not lactose. It's the protein that can get into your milk, iirc. Fwiw, homeopathics on lactose are allowed on GAPS and SCD which are both lactose free diets.

You can also make your own tincture from the pillules or look for a tincture of "anas barbariae hepatis" although the potentcy is different for tinctures, there's not a 1:1 correlation to pills.

And the remedy is on the surface of the pillule. You can let it sit under your tongue for 30 seconds then spit it out. (It's an energy medicine.)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

easygoinmomma
01-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Starting at what age would you feel comfortable giving them this?

backtobasicsmum
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
I've had some good experiences with this, even though I totally don't "get" homiopathic stuff. :shifty :shrug

At Christmas time, I'm really positive that it is what kept W from getting sick. :yes

Don't buy it locally. It's super $$$. Try pricing it out at Vitacost.

Iarwain
01-11-2013, 08:23 PM

Any age. I might hesitate for a baby not yet on solids but then again if there is something nasty passing around the family I'd dose 'em anyway. :yes

Zooey
01-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Any age. I might hesitate for a baby not yet on solids but then again if there is something nasty passing around the family I'd dose 'em anyway. :yes
This.
And if you are nursing, your baby will get the remdy from you!!:yes

bclemons84
01-11-2013, 10:32 PM
So is this safe in pregnancy?

Zooey
01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I would want to check that with one of my books.....Actually, that is an excellent question.

Shutterbug
01-11-2013, 11:07 PM

I had the same question. Especially since they say it's for two and up.

saturnfire16
01-11-2013, 11:39 PM
It's great stuff! I take it when I'm nauseous or throwing up and it stops the puking in it's tracks.

Soliloquy
01-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Yes. :yes Homeopathic remedies are 100% safe in pregnancy. There are no actual molecules of the starting ingredient in a homeopathic remedy (unless you're using a very low potentcy). Here's a brief article about how homeopathic remedies are made (http://www.drmasiello.com/homeopathy/how-homeopathic-remedies-are-made/).

This.
And if you are nursing, your baby will get the remdy from you!!:yes

:think I haven't read anything to indicate this to be true. I would love to read more about this if you have some info to share.

I've never had need to give Oscillo to a newborn but I have given other remedies to newborns. I would give Oscillo to a newborn if the flu was in the family but I would wait for the first sign of symptoms. (I would also be maxing out on vit D3 & chlorella, myself, to maximize the antibodies in my milk.) To give to a newborn you can crush the tablet, give it whole and remove it after about 30 seconds, or let the tablet sit in a teaspoon of purified (preferably distilled) water for a few minutes, remove the tablet, then give the water. I always just put it under their tongue and let it sit there. Hyland's and other brands that make the softer tablets dissolve instantly.

For anyone who wants to learn more, this site is pretty good.
http://joettecalabrese.com/
Here's a succinct blog entry Why Wouldn't a Mom Use Homeopathy? (http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-wouldnt-mom-use-homeopathy.html)

Iarwain
01-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I had the same question. Especially since they say it's for two and up.

Saying it's for two and up has more to do with labeling laws than anything.

Soliloquy
01-12-2013, 10:49 PM
As an example, Belladonna (the plant) is poisonous. A baby could consume an entire bottle of 30c homeopathic belladonna, or even 30x, and not in any way be in danger of poisoning, or even get an upset stomach (unless they're lactose intolerant, than the bottle of lactose pills might cause upset stomach). Because there's no actual belladonna left in homeopathic belladonna pills.

Here's another good page (http://www.naturalchoicesforyou.com/page/219657) I just stumbled upon, it explains, briefly, how the remedies are made, how to choose a potentcy, remedies for common injuries, constitutional remedies, and a few other things.

Zooey
01-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Yes. :yes Homeopathic remedies are 100% safe in pregnancy. There are no actual molecules of the starting ingredient in a homeopathic remedy (unless you're using a very low potentcy). Here's a brief article about how homeopathic remedies are made (http://www.drmasiello.com/homeopathy/how-homeopathic-remedies-are-made/).

:think I haven't read anything to indicate this to be true. I would love to read more about this if you have some info to share.
The lady who wrote the book I mentioned, who was a British homeopath, said that she treated nursing babies by giving the remedy to the mother. This was her empirical observation, that a nursling would receive the benefit as s/he received immunity from illness, through the mother's milk.....:shrug3 It seems to be completely logical.
Especially, as you point out, since remedies are so safe. They only work when you need them. (The nontoxic nature of homeopathy is what attracted me to this system of medicine in the first place).

I've never had need to give Oscillo to a newborn but I have given other remedies to newborns. I would give Oscillo to a newborn if the flu was in the family but I would wait for the first sign of symptoms. (I would also be maxing out on vit D3 & chlorella, myself, to maximize the antibodies in my milk.) To give to a newborn you can crush the tablet, give it whole and remove it after about 30 seconds, or let the tablet sit in a teaspoon of purified (preferably distilled) water for a few minutes, remove the tablet, then give the water. I always just put it under their tongue and let it sit there. Hyland's and other brands that make the softer tablets dissolve instantly.

For anyone who wants to learn more, this site is pretty good.
http://joettecalabrese.com/
Here's a succinct blog entry Why Wouldn't a Mom Use Homeopathy? (http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-wouldnt-mom-use-homeopathy.html)

PS: Lisa, :ty3
I am a :oreal amateur in this area. Totally self-taught. It is always a pleasure--and a relief--when you show up with your knwoledge.:rockon

Soliloquy
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
The lady who wrote the book I mentioned, who was a British homeopath, said that she treated nursing babies by giving the remedy to the mother. This was her empirical observation, that a nursling would receive the benefit as s/he received immunity from illness, through the mother's milk.....:shrug3 It seems to be completely logical.
Especially, as you point out, since remedies are so safe. They only work when you need them. (The nontoxic nature of homeopathy is what attracted me to this system of medicine in the first place).

that's really interesting, :ty It doesn't seem logical to me, though, since it is a nudge to your body's vitalistic force, an alignment in energetic resonance. It would be like giving the mom a reiki session to help the nursing baby. :think It's interesting to think about it, though.

sweetpeasmommy
01-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Homeopathic inoculation can work.too.

Soliloquy
01-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Homeopathic inoculation can work.too.

Do you mean by using a nosode?

sweetpeasmommy
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Not necessarily. some people take rhus tox once a month during summer to prevent poison ivy. or a flu remedy once a month during winter. a friend used hypericum to prevent the rest of her chickens getting marecks, which is supposed to be very contagious and always fatal. 2/3 of the affected ones recovered. :shrug