PDA

View Full Version : Balancing housework with physical limitations

Transformed
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I have some physical limitations that make it difficult to maintain my house. I'm working on reducing the amount of stuff we have so there's less cleaning to do, and DH or BIL have the jobs that are near impossible for me to do. I'd like to know how others with physical limitations get it done. For me it's a pelvic issue that stops me being able to walk at times. Long term, either the Dr will find the problem and fix it, or I'll be able to get an allowance that will cover help around the house until DH is working full-time. In the meantime, I'm a bit stuck :/

BlissfullyEsther
01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Would really short bursts of work be possible? I often set an interval timer app on my phone for the amount of time I think I can cope with and then a rest period. So when I'm not in much pain I do a 20/10 (20 work, 10 rest) but other times I do a 5/10 (5 work, 10 rest) or whatever combination I think I can do. Then I might do another set in an hour or half an hour or whatever works that day. So if short bursts are possible then that might work for you.

I also alternate things which require standing with sitting. Eg, I'll pack the dishwasher and then sit on the floor to fold clean washing. Or I'll put away the folded washing and then sit in front of the bookcase and put away all the books the kids have dragged out.

I hope you're able to get some help soon. I've been thinking about getting someone in to clean my floors (I can't vacuum or mop at all due to pain) but I live in the middle of nowhere so it's unlikely.

Transformed
01-07-2013, 11:11 PM
I can get some work done that way, by spacing things out, but I still struggle to get everything done, and floors are just out of the question - I can sweep up the kitchen once a day into a corner but someone else has to stoop down to sweep it up. Though, now I think about it, I might be able to get a decent dustpan and brush with long handles to make that easier.
Anyway, handling the vacuum cleaner or mop bucket & mop is not on my jobs list because I just can't get them done :/ I'd love to get a robovac, but that's not in the budget for now.

BlissfullyEsther
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Are there specific tasks you'd like to brainstorm solutions for?

librarianjojo
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Probably less than helpful: Get a dog to pick up all the crumbs in the kitchen. ;) I almost NEVER have to sweep. :shifty

Transformed
01-09-2013, 02:57 AM
Lol, we do that occasionally!

Well, my main chores are the dishes, and the laundry. So far I've been getting rid of everything we don't need so I have fewer dishes and clothes to clean. But I still struggle doing that. I'm also meant to keep the lounge room, ensuite and DD's room clean, and the only one of those I keep clean is DD's room. When BIL moves out, I'll also have to keep the main bathroom & toilet clean, along with the room he currently uses, and all of DH's jobs so that he does the floors.