PDA

View Full Version : Can you look over my chores?

hey mommy
01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
This is what I have so far. I, of course, will be doing whatever is leftover. I'm thinking I need one or two more for Sammy.. Any easy ideas?

Moms chores:
dishes
laundry
vacuum
clean kitchen
homework

Cias' chores:
take out trash
Clean up both bathrooms(pick up stuff on floor, clean off counters)
pick up trash in living room
pick up blankets
homework

Samuel's chores:
pick up toys
dust

Transformed
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Did a search and found this: http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/age-appropriate-chores-for-kids/
might help?

Waterlogged
01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Do you have a dishwasher? Or are you hand washing?

K has been all about unloading the dishwasher.

She is also putting all her clothes away herself.

hey mommy
01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I want to start with something easy that is doable for both them and me. I don't want to add too much too soon.

Mum2Es
01-08-2013, 02:20 AM
:cup because I need to get Princess consistently doing more around the house.

Also, I never know and have never got around to asking - HOW to you pronounce Cias? I read it as "Chass". :shrug3

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Also, how do you make it happen with chores? Princess used to be responsible for feeding the pet rats. I got so sick of reminding her 356785 times then standing over her to keep her on task as she chopped vegies etc that I ended up announcing the rats were henceforth MY responsibility, and therefore belonged to me.

:think If I gave her a job like wiping over the bathroom sink or cleaning the toilet or sweeping the floor, would it be an "as necessary" job? ie. "Hey honey, the bathroom sink needs wiping over, now would be a good time for you to do it"?

She is actually quite helpful around the house with things like packing away toys and games and helping her little sister with stuff, but regular chores that are assigned to her...not so much.

hey mommy
01-08-2013, 06:24 AM
It's pronounced Ky-us. :) Crazy, I know.

I told Cias no tv/video games until he did his chores. Since TV/video games are his life and nothing gets done when they are on, it is a great motivator for him.

allisonlindberg
01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
I would teach Sammy to sort laundry by color to help you out. My 3 1/2 yo DD like sot do it and likes to pick the clothes into the dryer and start it or put the soap into the washer.

hey mommy
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
The dryer is on top of the washer, so he can't do that anymore. And the soap is on top of the dryer. Plus I do laundry on weekends when they are at their dads.

AdrienneQW
01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Each person's list will vary given their needs of course - we don't vacuum because we have no carpet in our home, but we do LOTS of sweeping with all the hardwood and tile. :yes

When my kids were Sammy's age, some of the family work they learned to do included:

- sweeping (neither of mine could handle the dustpan independently at that age, so if I wasn't available to help w/the dustpan I just had them sweep into the corner for me to finish up)

- putting clean silverware away

- putting their own clean laundry away

- folding washcloths, dish rags, dish towels, and hand towels

- mating and folding socks (at that age I just have them stuff one sock into the other)

- clearing & wiping the table after a meal

- emptying the small trash bins throughout the house into the large family-size trash can

- washing baseboards and light switches (come to think of it, now that I don't have any little kids anymore, my baseboards look like crud... think I need to find a preschooler to borrow once in a while :shifty)