PDA

View Full Version : If your planning to get rid of a lot of stuff

greengirl19
01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm hoping to do some major decluttering and simplfying to our possesion. Some stuff i know what to do with (clothes to goodwill., etc) but some not so much. I hope to have lots of toys, still in good condition thst we just don't need. And kitchen appliances. A yard sale is out of the question. What a good way to get rid of stuff that is efficient and charitable?

BlissfullyEsther
01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Do your thrift shops accept toys and kitchen appliances (i assume they're small ones, not an oven :giggle)? Over here they accept toys, furniture, clothes, soft furnishings, books, and yes, kitchen appliances. Pretty much anything in good condition.

cbmk4
01-06-2013, 02:46 PM
We have Community Aid, Salvation Army and Goodwill. All take household appliances and toys. If you itemize deductions for income tax purposes, you can get a receipt for all your donated items. The IRS has guidelines for how to figure the value of donated items. (Turbo Tax has a worksheet built in for this.)

My kids have found nice toys and gifts for each other at Salvation Army, so I like donating our unwanted but nice items to them when I don't have any friends who could use the them.

Aerynne
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Yes, donating to thrift stores is probably easiest. Around here Big Brothers Big Sisters will come get your stuff, as will Purple Heart.

If not, you can try Craigslist or freecycle, but those can be a pain to deal with (you stay home for someone who wants your mixer but they don't show, etc)

Carini
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
I like using the Veterans pick up service so I don't have to lug the donations anywhere. They have an online request system for pickups and will give you a tax receipt as well. It might be worth checking if they pick up in your area.

2sunshines
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
I donate or sell on craigslist. :yes

ArmsOfLove
01-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Goodwill here accepts everything (well, not *everything*, but ykwim ;) )

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

I like using the Veterans pick up service so I don't have to lug the donations anywhere. They have an online request system for pickups and will give you a tax receipt as well. It might be worth checking if they pick up in your area.

we just got a thing from them and I'm planning to give our donations to them in the future :yes

librarianjojo
01-07-2013, 08:52 PM
If you have larger pieces or just a LOT of stuff, call some smaller local thrift stores, not just Salvation Army and Goodwill. Some have pick up services you can schedule and they'll send a truck and some people to pick up. We've done this before moving and they hauled away a dresser and a futon free of charge. :rockon

bclemons84
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
DH and I will be moving in the middle of February and plan on donating a bunch of furniture to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Both of them are literally down the street from us. I know that Goodwill will come and haul it away. DH didn't believe me when I told him that lol. :giggle

Kiara.I
01-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Women's shelter. Take a look around. Some will come pick up, or have a dropoff location that's in a storefront somewhere. They'll take furniture too.

It's not quite as efficient, it's true, but it definitely helps somebody! We've given a table and chairs, some dressers...plus pots and pans and stuff. I bet appliances would be welcome.

MegMarch
01-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Ask people in your area who does pickups. It's so easy. I generally do boxes on the porch so someone isn't coming into the house.

greengirl19
01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
We're kind of rural and no one does pick up :( There is a little thrift shop down the road that supports a great cause that we usually give everything too but they don't always take toys and I haven't seen appliances in there. The goodwill in town probably does take small kitchen stuff (so far I have a blender, food processor, etc).