PDA

View Full Version : The Daniel Fast

lmd0137
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
DH and are looking into different fasts to try. We have never done fasting before either for health or prayer. We came across The Daniel Fast (http://www.daniel-fast.com/) while doing some online research. Has anyone done this fast? What are your thoughts?

blondie
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
I've done it, but I have to run. I'll be back tonight.

:cup

allisonintx
01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
I did it. I did it for a very long time actually. It was very enlightening. What questions do you have.

Starfox
01-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Barefoot Bookworm
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
I did it two years ago and it was awesome. I think we're going to do it again in a few weeks.

joystrength
01-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I've done it. I felt so good on it, too, especially when I went HEAVY on the veggies/fruits and lighter on the carbs! We will be doing it throughout this month starting Monday -- maybe longer, as well. :pray4

blondie
01-04-2013, 10:06 PM
I liked it. I've done it several times because I didn't want to straight up fast while nursing.

lmd0137
01-05-2013, 05:27 PM
I did it. I did it for a very long time actually. It was very enlightening. What questions do you have.

Mainly ,I was wondering if you found it challenging. Also, I wanted to know if you found it beneficial both spiritually and physically. We really need to start off the new year in a way that will rejuvenate DH and spiritually, mentally, and physically. This last year (2012) has been a difficult one for us. We have been stuck in a rut as far as our health (spiritual, mental, and physical) is concerned. We are hoping to make some big changes this year and have both decided that fasting and praying would be a good place to start. The problem has been that there is too much information and it can get confusing. The Daniel fast looks like a good choice, but I really wanted to know what other people's experiences have been, both good and bad, to help with the decision.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Also, I would like to know if anyone has any special tips that help someone doing this fast for the first time. What have you learned that helps or hinders process, things that have or haven't helped, etc. Thanks so much. :)

Luciola
01-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Bonnie
01-05-2013, 06:03 PM
:popcorn

mamahammer
01-05-2013, 07:23 PM
:popcorn

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Barefoot Bookworm
01-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Susan Gregory's cookbook and blog were awesome when we were doing this. I was praying specifically for a baby boy (or two. ;)). We now have Malachi Daniel who was conceived in the middle of the fast.

This is her blog link: http://danielfast.wordpress.com/

Beth1231
01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
We do this once a year together (this yr will be the fourth time). As to the difficulty, imo it depends on what you normally eat. The first year was grueling physically because we mostly ate convenience food and I didn't know how to cook. The Daniel Fast is what opened our eyes to that actually. Spiritually it was rough because I had a wish list and came ready to barter. :blush And we broke the fast with a steak dinner :doh (stomach- ache).
The second year was wonderful because I had learned how to cook and knew a lot of veggie meals already. And spiritually, I was little more prepared for what happens during fast. The clutter gets cleared away. You can hear and see clearly the junk in your life. God changes you. So I wasn't so angry and disappointed that time. I broke the fast with bagel and cream cheese :doh Not Smart!
Last year was powerful. It was three months before we made our cross- country move and God pointed out some junk that would have seriously hindered us otherwise.
We grew as a couple each time. It built our unity. I learned New,healthy recipes ;)
I highly,highly recommend. :yes
Oh, and break your fast with something light incorporated into a usual veggie meal. :shifty

blondie
01-05-2013, 11:41 PM
It wasn't TOO hard for me. The worst part for me was no sugar.

joystrength
01-06-2013, 10:24 AM
but I really wanted to know what other people's experiences have been, both good and bad, to help with the decision.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Also, I would like to know if anyone has any special tips that help someone doing this fast for the first time. What have you learned that helps or hinders process, things that have or haven't helped, etc. Thanks so much. :)

We had a great success (completed our time goal, if you call that success) on it. Here is what helped me/us (DH and I):

-- doing it TOGETHER! We are associate pastors at our church, and with that comes loads of stress and challenges for our marriage, time, parenting, etc. This is one thing that we focused on and did together.

-- having snacks READY to go! I found I was very and intensely SUDDENLY hungry on this fast. IF I could grab something right away, it was easier to NOT reach for the "off limits" stuff.

-- PUSH THE PROTEIN!! Seriously, this and EATING REGULARLY (like every couple of hours) really helped me. I was so used to reaching for a slice of cheese or something when I started feeling that "need to eat" feeling, and I was kind of at a loss for the first few days, when it wasn't available. SO, I encourage you to plan your proteins!

-- Spiritually, it was a good time, as I also fasted all books/media except my Bible and journal. That said, I did check my email once a day, and the news once a day (because Web news is our only news source in this house). I had more time to focus on scripture reading, etc. :heart:heart:pray4

Tandem mama
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Amahoro
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Our old church did it as a community wide thing about 4 years ago.

Can't say it did anything spiritual for me; and I now have issues with how our old church handled this kinda thing (ie. the pressure that those who were 'right' would be doing whatever the church was asked to do by the pastors); but the fast itself was good & I felt much healthier on it.

allisonintx
01-08-2013, 10:25 PM
The first time I did it was with my church, and it was crazy, because people were driving all over the place to find foods that felt like cheats but that we're technically "right" when I did it for fasting, I did only fruit and veggies and whole grains. No bread, meat, dairy or sugar.

After the weeks of doing it with the church, I knew that I would be fasting in prayer over something else, and I went into it very prayerfully. I left GCM during the fast, as well.

It was because of this fast I finally understood that no nutritional change was going to fix my brain, because the problem wasn't in my gut-brain. I finally copped to the fact that I needed to figure out a workaround for my lack of dopamine receptors. I had several revelations about the relationships in my family. It was a good thing all the way around.

believer
09-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I am considering doing this.
Can you do it if you have very little time to prepare meals?

allisonintx
09-28-2013, 06:04 PM
since you mostly eat only veggies, it's very easy prep. Steam and eat.

Seems like I did steam and eat, or blend and drink (I did loads of smoothies) for months and months. It took more thought in the grocery shopping department, because I bought a LOT more fruit and Veggies.

FaithnPraise
09-28-2013, 06:26 PM
How'd I miss this thread? :doh

I did it about 6 years ago with my church, it was AWESOME!!! I'd love to do it together with a body/community, I don't know that I'd get the same effect from it just going it alone :shrug3

But yes, very easy with little prep time because there's nothing heavy duty to cook. Steam some veggies (or eat them raw), pop open a can and nuke it if you have to. The longest thing would be if you baked a potato...but still you can do other things while it's actually cooking; KWIM? ;)

peekaboomama
09-28-2013, 07:20 PM
I didn't find it any harder than usual cooking. And in a lot of ways it was easier - I didn't have to invest as much thought. We ate lots of oatmeal with diced fruit, or rice and beans. I liked getting in the mindset of "food is nutrition, not entertainment."

Little Forest
09-28-2013, 08:49 PM
I am very interested to read up on this when I can. Good thing people aren't trying a St John the Baptist fast instead! :phew :lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Abibigail
09-28-2013, 09:25 PM
I am very interested to read up on this when I can. Good thing people aren't trying a St John the Baptist fast instead! :phew :lol
Posted via Mobile Device

:spit :roll