PDA

View Full Version : Help me know where to start...

MamaCare
12-27-2012, 12:48 PM
So our family eats pretty much SAD. We try to do lots of veggies/fruits, minimal refined sugars, etc., but the truth is, we get the bulk of our food from WIC and a food-warehouse program, and we get what they provide.

Over the years, I think about doing a massive diet overhaul, because I *know* it would benefit us so much... but I get overwhelmed at the whole thing, there are so many options, y'know?

I have one on meds for depression, one on meds for anxiety (he also has sensory issues, ADHD, and gets really aggressive), and my youngest is tearing up his skin, waking crying and screaming from eczema. I am convinced that dietary changes would help us in all of these areas.

I have got to do something. Can you point me in a direction to start?

shaslove
12-27-2012, 12:51 PM
If you are not sure what to cook, you could try emeals-they have a natural/organic and clean eating option-the food is pretty kid friendly.

Punkie
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Do you have a gut feeling about what changes might make a huge difference? Cutting out or greatly reducing sugar? Cutting out dairy (common for anxiety and eczema) ? Reducing/eliminating refined grains? Adding more variety of veggies? Using higher quality meat? You can always start in a place where most of the "healthy diets" agree. It obviously depends on what you can work out with your food supply. :think

HadassahSukkot
12-30-2012, 06:15 AM
There are several threads with GAPS and Paleo diet recipes. Were it me (and it kinda is in some way :giggle) - would go read some of those recipes, print a couple and every day just add something very healthy once a day and work up to two times a day. As you go, see how you like it and just add in more things until you've comfortably revamped enough that you have it down pat and are ready to research and move forward again. Just making bone broth to make gravy is a good start. It is not the greatest considering - but it is less SAD, and is healthy. Add in some coconut oil for your soups and broths, and maybe making your own tallow instead of using saturated fats and that's an awesome beginning. Then slowly buying more local organic fruit/veg that is in season... The GAPS/PALEO/PRIMAL tend to all be gluten free. The goal is gut healing and good nutrition, so any/all of those recipes are generally tried and true and tasty as "oh my goodness please give me more." :heart I don't tell the kids I'm changing anything. I just change it and surprisingly they have noticed and said almost everything we have done has been awesome. No complaints unless we have certain things back to back for evening meals. So... you never know. For me, getting a cheap (mid-range function but it was incidentally cheap!) rice cooker was a life saver. It has a steamer function and I can just drop in whatever frozen veg, sprinkle with some unrefined sugar, herbs and some salt, put water in the bottom and let it steam for 20 minutes on a counter while I have the stove fired up for the rest of the meal and something in the oven. It has changed how DH perceives veggies, and he's giving more things a try since he has learned vegetables have flavor and texture and aren't squishy yucky things on the plate. I think the biggest help ever was people really emphasizing baby steps and not burning yourself out. :heart sorry for formatting issues. I'm still learning my new laptop and it has some bugs. :bag