PDA

View Full Version : so my couch smells like death

Tandem mama
12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't know why and I don't know how to fix it :help

mamacat
12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Is it microfiber? If so I take cushions off and vacuum stuff under there and whole couch and then take a pan of soapy ater - just a teenty amount of dish soap - and then an old towel and dampen in the soapy water and wipe it doen like you were claning off a table surface.Dont get it all soaked and wet just clean surface

Tandem mama
12-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Not microfiber. It's some terrible fabric. All sorts of rough and burlap-like

Serendipity
12-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Woot...I feel another death hole thread coming on! :popcorn

Have you unzipped the cushions?

Tandem mama
12-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I haven't unzipped the cushions.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

What might that do?

LadybugSam
12-27-2012, 09:25 AM
was milk/juice spilled on it at some point?

mamacat
12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Would still try the wiping down thing with that fabric.Can you unzip and rezip and wash cushion covers in washer - cold watert- no dryer and sun and air the foam? We have found foody crumbs down in between back of couch and part that cushions sit on can take crevice tool on vac and suck out

Serendipity
12-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I haven't unzipped the cushions.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

What might that do?

Perhaps there is a rotting dead rodent corpse inside?

DOes it smell like actual death? Or my kid peed on the couch, eww gross smell?

Stiina
12-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Dang, HOAN beat me to it. Once, our couch had a dead mouse in it. We burnt it. :shiver

Tandem mama
12-27-2012, 02:03 PM

:shiver :sick we have mice.....ummm ew ew ew ew ew excuse me while I swear over here. :sick :shiver. I'll :sick look.

I don't think it smells like actual death....I think I was exaggerating
we thinkit's mildew from DD spilling water on the carpet near it.
:sick

allisonintx
12-27-2012, 02:12 PM
check under it for cracked eggs :duck :bag :hiding

Tandem mama
12-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Or food...We eat in the living room :shifty

ok ok when I get home I'll clean. massively

blondie
12-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Am I allowed to giggle while I read this thread ? 'Cause if not, I'll just stay away.

One time, something in our old apartment smelled HIDEOUS. Hid.e.ous.
Turns out, I had stashed a bag of potatoes deep in the cabinet for a rainy day. :shiver Bad news.

Tandem mama
12-27-2012, 02:17 PM
You may laugh. As long as you cry with me if I find something especially nasty. or dead.

LadybugSam
12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Turns out, I had stashed a bag of potatoes deep in the cabinet for a rainy day. :shiver Bad news.

:yuck I've done that too Once found an old potato in the toy box too :sick

Stiina
12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I vote mouse. It's a horrible thing with an indescribeable smell and yes I will cry with you. I get irrationally angry when I see think about mice. SICK.

ChristmasGirl
12-27-2012, 02:56 PM
:popcorn

Serendipity
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
:poke

kwisie
12-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Am I allowed to giggle while I read this thread ? 'Cause if not, I'll just stay away.

We discovered a stashed bag of rotten potatoes when the kitchen started smelling horrid, and then something gooey started oozing out of the cabinet. :shiver :sick

blondie
12-28-2012, 09:43 PM
:bump

:shifty

mollobe
12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Ew, I swore we had a dead mouse in the kitchen somewhere until I found the one rotting potato in the bag...smelled exactly the same as dead mouse. :sick

Starfox
12-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Rotting potatoes are the worst. That happened to me once. :shiver

I had a friend who had a nasty nasty smell in her kitchen and come to find out a whole raw chicken had been left out on the counter behind something. They found it weeks later. :yuck

Amahoro
12-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I was going to suggest you send it to HOAN for use in the death hole... :shifty

Seriously though - I would pull it apart. I would think possible mouse nest or something?

:hug

Niphredil
12-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Our love seat has dual recliners and on the back there are Velcro pouches. Oh man. :shiver once it was cheese sticks and apple cores. :yuck

Assuming there isn't some sort if biohazard in there :giggle I vacuum really well, baking soda over night, vacuum, febreeze. Add in urine naturalizer as needed. :shifty

jenny_islander
12-29-2012, 02:42 AM
We had a death couch for a while and yes it was a squished mouse. We ended up ripping the fabric off the bottom of the couch to get rid of the smell.

Zooey
12-29-2012, 04:28 AM

I have had:

Dead mouse under the mattress. (It was the cat's hiding place).:doh
Dead robin in the cellar. (Still trying to figure that one out; it was January & the laundry is down there, I should have found it long before).:scratch
Dead squirrel in an upstairs closet. (Came down chimney & scratched/chewed through plaster).:-/
Dead vole under the dishwasher. (I have no idea).:shrug3
On not one, not two, but three different occasions, we had a car smell of death & there was a litter of dead baby field mice in the heater pipe. (In the winter. And the heat blew the :crazy2smell out into the car, or you could freeze to death).:sick:sick:sick
Dead starling in the attic. :jawdrop
Dead:yuck skunk under the back porch.:sick2:hissyfit:sick2
:eek
I think I must attract all the dead & dying varmints in the county.
:sigh

Tandem mama
12-29-2012, 05:32 AM
It stopped stinking while I wasn't home. I'm 99% sure it was the carpet next to it. I spilled chocolate almond milk and leaned it up. But it wasn't drying. Our carpet was NASTY from the last family that owned he place and we've made it worse. It is being replaced in the spring. I put rubbing alcohol on it and it went away :shrug

Now if only I cold get my husband to stop making the bed smell so terrible

ChristmasGirl
12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Now if only I cold get my husband to stop making the bed smell so terrible

:yes

4MKfam
12-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Woot...I feel another death hole thread coming on! :popcorn

...:paranoid You totally read my mind. I was going to suggest it as an accessory in the Death Hole.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I had a friend who had a nasty nasty smell in her kitchen and come to find out a whole raw chicken had been left out on the counter behind something. They found it weeks later. :yuck

:scratch Short of something Hoarders-worthy, HOW on EARTH do you just ...lose an entire raw chicken :hunh :lol? Maybe I'm not as bad a housekeeper (at least in my kitchen) as I thought :lol???

Okay. Derailment over. :shifty

:shrug I'd try -in this order- checking cushions and under the couch, sprinkling with baking soda and vacuuming, febreze.

FaithHopeLove
12-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Bac out is also good for what ails ya. Well, carpet/couch type stuff, not one's person.

Glad the smell went away.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Not that I'm saying your person smells or anything.

Oy, shouldn't post so late at night! :crazy

Tandem mama
12-30-2012, 06:05 AM
:giggle

Barefoot
12-30-2012, 09:11 AM
DH and I helped friends move, they had a freezer in their garage that had been defrosting, but they left it closed, and forgotten to clean out the bottom compartnent (hidden behind a little door) when we tipped it up to carry it, it oozed out sludge, oh my word, that was the worst smell in the world, I managed to clean it out by myself while the big burly blokes were dry retching.

Serendipity
12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I feel like we need to write a little jingle about things smelling like death.

:to the tune of farmer in the dale:

My house smells like death
My couch smells like death
That random patch in the carpet smell-el-els like death

The fridge smells like death
The trash smells like death
The soiled pants in the laundry room smell-el-els like death

:shifty

FaithHopeLove
12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
I managed to clean it out by myself while the big burly blokes were dry retching.

Replayed the world over as women clean up vomit, awful diapers, etc., etc., etc. . . . and their men stand by . . . !

Rock on, mama! Well done! :rockon