PDA

View Full Version : What's Worse... Soy Milk or Dairy?

chelsea
12-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm horrified by the stuff I read about both! It's so hard to know which info is true and what is put out there by competition to both industries. I'm ashamed to admit this but I'm addicted to Starbucks (it's my one guilty pleasure) and if I'm going to have one on a fairly regular basis... I'd like to at least know which is the lesser of the evils to choose for milk (that is, if they are both as bad as the stuff I hear.)
Thoughts?

Domina
12-21-2012, 03:12 PM
I have no idea, but coconut and almond milk are delicious. :wink

chelsea
12-21-2012, 03:23 PM
I have no idea, but coconut and almond milk are delicious. :wink

I love almond milk too! (Especially home made!) but unfortunately it's hard to find when you're looking for a coffee away from home! :(

cbmk4
12-21-2012, 03:29 PM
I guess it depends on who you read and who you believe. Personally, I don't believe that either one is evil, but soy milk makes my mouth and throat itch, so I never drink it. We drink cow milk and almond milk around here or occasionally coconut milk.

Aerynne
12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I think dairy is way worse! But I do think almond milk is better (I know starbucks doesn't have it, though)

ValiantJoy07
12-21-2012, 03:31 PM
I think raw milk/dairy (which is a living substance) is way better than soy milk...but that ORGANIC non-GMO soy is better than conventional soy. Conventional milk isn't ber digestable for even tolerant individuals. Soy milk is quite processed.

I think they come out even. We do use organic soy in baking- we don't really like almond or coconut milks :O

houseforjoy
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
you could always switch between soy and dairy each time :shifty:giggle

i am a raw dairy lover myself tho;)

mwwr
12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't have big feelings about milk either way, except for my lactose intolerant dd. But I'd get raw cow's milk if money were no option. It at least comes from a mammal.

JoannaV
12-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Depends where Starbucks gets their milk from, I guess.

teamommy
12-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I too prefer almond milk. Next best would be fresh organic soy or at least organic soy with no additives. I've never been a big dairy drinker, and now I don't have it at all, so that would be my answer.

As far as what as healthiest. None? :shifty I'd say soy all the way, healthiest for the cow, anyway. I'm pretty sure Starbucks uses non-GMO soy, but their soymilk has a ton of sugar in it. And they used to give soy free if you have one of their cards, but they just stopped doing that, sow now it is 60 cents extra.

marigold
12-21-2012, 09:00 PM
According to Nourishing Traditions soy that is unfermented is nearly toxic - and it bonds to minerals that are already in your intestines and prevents their absorption as well.:sick

DancingWithElves
12-29-2012, 09:44 PM
i know what you mean :hugheart

let me tell you right now: EVERY BLESSED EDIBLE THING out there is said to be poisonous, dangerous, cancer-causing, full of toxins, hard on the gut, hard on the liver, unethical, etc. etc. etc.
i am *not* saying that it's all hype, it's not. but if we only eat what the People of the Interwebs approve of, we'll eat nothing at all ;) :hug

so, remember that it's only a small amount in your java. neither one is ideal nutrition. but you aren't going to Starbucks for ideal nutrition, are ya? :giggle

allisonlindberg
12-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Even if it is not the best...I am a hardcore dairy lover. We drink organic cow's milk. I can't stand soy or rice milk. I have never tried almond or coconut.

I am kinda scared of eating or feeding too much soy to my children. The potential hormonal effects worry me.

MercyInDisguise
12-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I am kinda scared of eating or feeding too much soy to my children. The potential hormonal effects worry me.

This. I don't love dairy effects, but I think they are minimal (for people who don't have intolerances or allergies, obviously) compared to soy. :shiver

SewingGreenMama
12-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Soy aggravates my digestion issues which by the way I've only realized we're unusual since coming here and reading about gut health.
I plan on switching to raw milk when we are no longer feeding 3-5 adults all who love milk.
We can't afford it on $470 a month grocery budget For 5-7 people.

Sent from my iPhone (ahem...powerful magical brain) using Tapatalk (ahem...Jedi mind tricks)