PDA

View Full Version : Join me in The Great Declutter of 2013.

Pages : [1] 2

JJsMom
12-21-2012, 08:14 AM
I know I'm starting a bit early but I've been able to start decluttering. Join me! I'm going to keep track of bags and boxes as they go out to the garage. I'm hoping to schedule a Salvation Army pickup in the next couple months.
So far:
6 kitchen garbage bags of clothes!

I'm going to post before/after pics but not until after bc it's way too humiliating. How did I accumulate so much stuff? My basement looked like an episode of hoarders.

Mother of Sons
12-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Wow! That's great!

RiverRock
12-21-2012, 08:30 AM
I'll join you. I recently had a small garbage bag of packages and junk taken out of my master bathroom. It's amazing how much stuff I can fit in my drawers, but then the drawers are so hard to access. Now I can find what I am looking for without feelings of anxiety taking over. Pretty much every room and closet in my house could use a declutter. My biggest roadblock is to figure out my priorities in life. The stuff is there because I decided at some point to keep it, right? To decide not to keep a lot of this stuff is a big hurdle for me.

illinoismommy
12-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I need to have a garage sale next year and sell things like toys.

BestLaidPlans
12-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I will join. I have stuff in my bedroom (WHY is that the dead sea of my house?!) and a ton of stuff in the garage that need to be culled. Especially since we will be moving again in a year or so... if all goes as anticipated. If not, we may move sooner. :doh

JJsMom
12-21-2012, 08:54 AM
RiverRock, I struggle with that, too. What's helping me right now is that I've been imagining what I want my downstairs space to look like. If something doesn't fit into that image then it needs to go. It's hard though! Have you read any of the declutter books? They have helped me.
You are brave, Janet! I am not doing a garage sale. I keep having second thoughts bc I have some stuff that's brand new but nope, it's not gonna happen. I need this stuff gone!
And I just remembered that I might not schedule a Salvation Army pickup. WIMama05 has a little thrift store near her and she's willing to bring my stuff there. It has a connection with her church so I feel good about where it's going.

Carini
12-21-2012, 08:56 AM
I need to do this in our garage. Following along. :)

Katydid
12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
One of my goals this year is to get my house decluttered and organized, so I'm joining in here! :cup

StoryOfGrace
12-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Its time for another purge around here, for sure! :yes

:rockon Way to go for getting started already!

LoveIsGentle
12-21-2012, 09:35 AM
:cup Probably won't actually start until it really is 2013, but totally joining in!

blondie
12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I started by getting so fed up with my kitchen that I ripped it apart and got it all organized again. Then a friend sent me this link : http://www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/8-weeks-to-declutter.pdf and I've kind of been following it. I've added/changed things on it, and I'm about half way through. For me, it's less purging, and just more organizing...but I'm in!! I have quite a few big projects left, hoping to get them done within the next few months.

Johns_Gal
12-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh, yes please.

I am having a garage sale in April. We moved, had to clean out our TX house, my grandma keeps sending me huge boxes of stuff faster than I can process them... hoo. Yes. I'm in. :shifty

I want to finish decluttering DS's room before Christmas. Think I'll make DH take the child out tonight so I can finish without him coming in at the 90% done mark and knocking me back to halfway.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

:cup Probably won't actually start until it really is 2013, but totally joining in!

Never go to war without a strategy.

Lady TS
12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Count me in!

When we moved in here, it was the homestead house that had been in dh's family for a century. There is stuff everywhere--and the attic was about full with Family's Stuff But Not Ours when we moved in.

I think one of the reasons we haven't moved yet is because of the work to pick up and sell the place and leave. :shifty

Of course, it also wouldn't hurt to get rid of stuff so I can (maybe? someday?) tear out some plaster walls, put up sheetrock, and start over. Make the place Mine, kwim?

:popcorn

Blue Savannah
12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
:heart It's been a year and a half since my last Great Declutter, and we're already needing another. I don't know where it comes from. :bag But I have to fit another person in this house, and we're shuffling bedrooms, and I'm losing my craft room, so. . . . something big has to go down. :giggle

I'd personally prefer a less public forum, though. ;)

JenLovie
12-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm in. I need to purge and organize. I feel like I'm drowning some times.

tazmom
12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm in. I'm planning to officially start after Christmas, but I rearranged the kids' rooms to move Z out of T's room and into A's room and it turned into organizing and some decluttering also.

I don't have a lot that needs to go, but I'm sure I could do a couple loads to Goodwill. My plan is to go room by room, one day declutter/organize the next day deep clean. Including the laundry room, there's 9 rooms. I have 19 days between Christmas and the start of the new semester.

Starfox
12-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I NEED to. I'm following along for inspiration. :mrgreen

backtobasicsmum
12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
:yes We are doing some basement reno's (finally going to have a 4th bedroom!) and there is so.much.junk in our basement, even though we thought we did a huge purge a year and a half ago in preparation for a move.

Dh wants to hold onto a variety of stuff. I say if we have not taken it out of the box when we moved it into the basement 9 years ago....we probably don't need it. :no

justbreathe
12-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm definitely in. :yes We don't have that much stuff but I still need to declutter - I'm kind of in a minimalist mentality right now. I'm not intentionally being a minimalist, I've just found that I feel so much better mentally with less stuff.

Last week, I went through all of the kids toys and packed the entire back of my van with toys to give out at the local soup kitchen. I actually gave away more toys than we kept. And, it feels so freeing! :D

I'm struggling to keep the house clean and my theory is that this is a sign that I need to get rid of some stuff!

Earthmummy07
12-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm aiming for an 'after Christmas declutter' every year, so I'm in :D

illinoismommy
12-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I've been thinking and I might try selling through the second-hand kid's store instead. I have always had to keep things decluttered because we have a big family and small house, but we have some *nice* toys that need to go to leave just the best. I might catalog them in some sort of bin system where they have to check them out. :shifty 4 kids x toys = ridiculous.

mommychem
12-21-2012, 03:01 PM
I decided to declutter at about six this morning. I've gotten through two hall closets and have about five bags. :rockon I'm in! :yes
Posted via Mobile Device

LilacPhoenix
12-21-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm in:mrgreen I've donated one full load of stuff already, and have another box ready to go:rockon We have a store run by the Christian-owned crisis pregnancy center in our area, so I brought what I could there (:poke mommychem, let me know if you want the address - they take donations and sell kids' stuff CHEAP if you need anything!). The rest goes to Goodwill.

We have a goal of being able to get rid of our small storage unit (we have a large one also:shifty) by the 20 something of January. Don't know if that will happen, but hopefully by February at the latest:yes

crunchymum
12-21-2012, 04:06 PM
This is super timely, being that we just moved into a smaller home and all. :yes I *know* I have a ton of stuff I can declutter.

LadybugSam
12-21-2012, 04:27 PM
i would love to join you :popcorn

after christmas :yes

nessnco
12-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I will join. I have stuff in my bedroom (WHY is that the dead sea of my house?!) and a ton of stuff in the garage that need to be culled. Especially since we will be moving again in a year or so... if all goes as anticipated. If not, we may move sooner. :doh

So is ours, I decluttered half of it the other day and removed 3 rubbish bags of rubbish.

RiverRock, I struggle with that, too. What's helping me right now is that I've been imagining what I want my downstairs space to look like.

I've been decluttering for awhile and DH walked in the other day and was like wow. The thing is thats how it always looked in my head :giggle.

I'm definitely in for finishing my house, I still have the rest of our room, the spare room (which is now DS2's room) and the rest of the kitchen not to mention heaps of paper stuff in the lounge.

I have removed 4 huge sacks of clothing etc in the last 6/8 weeks. We have a limited amount of storage which makes it so much harder.

LoveIsGentle
12-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Well, I decided to go against what I said earlier and tackle ds1's bedroom tonight while he was gone. I only made it through half the room and haven't even started on drawers or the closet, and I have two garbage bags of trash.

chelsea
12-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Thank you for this thread! I desperately need to declutter! My problem is feeling guilt over getting rid of stuff we never ended up using... need to stop buying stuff in the first place! ;)
My goal is to be able to have friends over on a whim and not be horrified that someone will see the untidiness. Plus my 21-month-old is in the dumping stage, and it would be so much easier for me if he only had a bit of stuff to dump rather than a ton! Ugh!!!

marigold
12-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Count me in too :yes I really need to deal with my kitchen. I probably won't start till the new year though as this next week is really busy.

ArmsOfLove
12-21-2012, 08:55 PM
I cleared out a bunch of clothes when it was time to get out winter clothes--setting side only really nice ones that still fit even though they will likely not fit in 3 months when it's spring ;) I'm so excited that as the Bubbies get through each size we get to pass it on out of the house :rockon

With other things I'm down to decluttering good things that we might not use but that aren't necessarily things we're "done" with, yk? But I'm trying to widdle away to what we need :think

Happygrl
12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm in. We should be doing our next move sometime in 2013. My goal is to end up with less poundage than we had when we moved here (even if its just 1 pound less! :lol. Every move thus far we've gained poundage.

My first motivating factor is that I want a treadmill. I'll have to keep/use it in the garage. And the two I'm looking at weigh about 185 pounds. I've set that I need to get rid of 125lbs before I can get the treadmill. First ten pounds go to magazines. :jawdrop And there weren't all that many of them, maybe 20 or 25. I was shocked at how quickly they added up!! I also have two large bags of clothes in our bedroom and two boxes of toys & household items in the garage. An old stick vacuum is in the garage and needs tossed. Then onto storage totes.

librarianjojo
12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
WOOOOO! I love decluttering! My pantry is in need these days and a post-holiday downsize never hurt anyone. ;)

Barefoot Bookworm
12-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I will happily join in!! I always do this after Christmas because I go nuts with the added gifts. :giggle

AdrienneQW
12-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Thank you for starting this thread!! :heart

I am SO in. My biggest problems are 1) motivating myself to do the work, and 2) keeping it simple - trash, recycle, donate, PERIOD. No garage sale, no Craigslist, no "Oh so-and-so would love this, I'll set it aside...", etc. The most I will allow myself is a separate donation bag for the nursery school (we donate our extra arts & crafts stuff to them) and a separate bag for Celeste's clothes (which go to her best friend). Other than that, EVERYTHING is trash, recycle, or off to our charity of choice (local pregnancy resource center where we volunteer).

:woohoo We can do this! :cheer

chelsea
12-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Thank you for starting this thread!! :heart

I am SO in. My biggest problems are 1) motivating myself to do the work, and 2) keeping it simple - trash, recycle, donate, PERIOD. No garage sale, no Craigslist, no "Oh so-and-so would love this, I'll set it aside...", etc. The most I will allow myself is a separate donation bag for the nursery school (we donate our extra arts & crafts stuff to them) and a separate bag for Celeste's clothes (which go to her best friend). Other than that, EVERYTHING is trash, recycle, or off to our charity of choice (local pregnancy resource center where we volunteer).

:woohoo We can do this! :cheer

Oh my word! That is SO me!! I have things sitting on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist type thing) that I really need to just get rid of! It is SO hard to resist saving up your old items for a "garage sale" (a garage sale that never happens) or online sales. *SIGH!

ozmummy
12-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Subbing.

I will be away for a big chunk of Jan, but want to do this.

Could we maybe have a monthly thread to renew our commitment regularly?

Virginia
12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
In!! :)

JenLovie
12-24-2012, 06:52 AM
We worked in the office yesterday and it's already lookin sooooooooooo much better. I didn't take a before picture but I'll take a pic before I start working in there again.

JJsMom
12-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Subbing.

I will be away for a big chunk of Jan, but want to do this.

Could we maybe have a monthly thread to renew our commitment regularly?

Oh, can I do it? I always wanted to be in charge of a monthly thread! Can we have a snazzy name or something? :mrgreen
I'm glad you guys are in! I'm really excited to do this! I have been picturing spring and how nice it will be to have things decluttered. I hope to get a lot done in the next three months.
I'm so bad about saving things for people, AQW. I have two big bins, one with swap stuff and one with gifts for people for the next year. And I have another pile for nice things that I want to give to *someone*. I have this really nice cookbook that my dad gave me last year. I looked through the whole thing and I didn't find one recipe that I liked and I have issues with my dad so I feel bad when I look at it. But it's a nice expensive cookbook! It would be nice to talk each other through those kinds of things.

blondie
12-24-2012, 10:57 AM
I can't wait for the holidays to be over, so I can get back into this!! Thinking I will use DH's day off/New Year's Day to go through our bazillion books/movies/games. :think

JenLovie
12-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Decluttering Divas? GCDeclutterers?

RiverRock
12-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Gentle Cleanse Mamas of GCM :shifty, ...or GCM Squared? I kinda' like the reference to a box with "squared"....except now I am thinking GCM Bagladies might be a good name. :giggle How about a monthly title of: Shut the front door! as a reference of getting things out of our houses?

JenLovie
12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
I like Bag Ladies.

Hannah Elise
12-24-2012, 12:42 PM
I know I'm starting a bit early but I've been able to start decluttering. Join me! I'm going to keep track of bags and boxes as they go out to the garage. I'm hoping to schedule a Salvation Army pickup in the next couple months.
So far:
6 kitchen garbage bags of clothes!

I'm going to post before/after pics but not until after bc it's way too humiliating. How did I accumulate so much stuff? My basement looked like an episode of hoarders.

I would love to join you in it, but first we have to close on our place and get moved out of my parents' farmhouse. :hunh :dohThat said, when we start unpacking everything that's in storage... well, I decluttered a bunch of stuff when we packed, but one thing that needs even more purging is clothing!

LoveIsGentle
12-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Something that's helped me a ton with getting rid of stuff lately is to skip Craigslist for things I'd like to sell and go straight to local Facebook for sale/trade groups. I've sold things so more more easily on there, no spam from Craigslist weirdos, and it makes it much more likely I'll get rid of something rather than hold onto it in the hopes that I'll make money off of it someday. I wish I had figured that one out sooner!

Earthmummy07
12-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I got through a lot of T's old toys today under the guise of 'tidying up to make room for the new ones'. 2 black bin bags gone and he's none the wiser :shifty I feel bad but he will not throw away toys that are broken :hissyfit

Have the 'new year itch' right now, want to get stuff DONE and TIDY and ORGANISED. Soooo not happening just yet, although DH is off this week so I can pursuade him to do all the manual labour

JenLovie
12-26-2012, 05:10 AM
I have the "itch" to clean, too, but it'll have to wait until my mom leaves as I can't expect DH to just hang with her and the boys while I clean.
I have been pinning a bunch of organization ideas on Pinterest and am ready to get going on them. I know we'll be able to keep everything clean easier if it all has a place to go.

AmyDoll
12-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Doing it!! Before Christmas dh and I cleared out the play room - 2 big black trash bags of games and outgrown toys went off to a thrift store.
I packed up a bag of duplos - but my 6yo asked to keep them (specifically to build patterns and towers) :/ so I'm going to go through them and keep a small box and a building board.
I sold one of my kid tables for $25 on a local facebook board and she's picking it up this morning.
I have a grocery store bag full of accessories and random stuff out of my room and closet!
I'm not sure what my goal is :think other than to have less stuff! I'd like to make my space more usable.

WI Mama05
12-26-2012, 06:08 AM
I'm in too. So much more needs to go to make this small house functional. I was planning on starting in the little girls room today.

tazmom
12-26-2012, 07:31 AM
I think I'm going to start with an easy room today. :think The master bathroom feels like it's doable. It's tiny and there's not much there. I could probably declutter and clean it in one day.

Fireside
12-26-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm definitely in. I decluttered & rearranged DS's room before Christmas...it looks SO much better in there! I'm at work today, but definitely starting another decluttering project tomorrow. Tomorrow's job will be the master bedroom closet.

Other projects I need to work on:
Game/craft closet
3 junk drawers in the kitchen :blush
the girls' bedroom (really need some inspiration to work in there!)
straighten/organize around the computer desk
laundry room
top of my bedroom dresser
under the kitchen sink
under the bathroom sinks

Added a few more things to my list.

silverlining
12-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I need to do this!

JenLovie
12-26-2012, 09:27 AM
How do you help yourself get rid of things you know you don't need anymore but can't throw away for some stupid reason. For example: make up. I don't wear it anymore. I haven't in almost 3 years. I keep thinking I should keep it because I may use it. I technically have the space for it. (And now this self talk has helped me know to toss it. :giggle)

WI Mama05
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
been working on the girls' room and have a BUNCH of clothes to get out! :rockon

LadybugSam
12-26-2012, 11:11 AM
i found this in my news feed (i love this blogger) Lots of decluttering tips :)
http://www.aslobcomesclean.com/2011/12/decluttering/

How do you help yourself get rid of things you know you don't need anymore but can't throw away for some stupid reason. For example: make up. I don't wear it anymore. I haven't in almost 3 years. I keep thinking I should keep it because I may use it. I technically have the space for it. (And now this self talk has helped me know to toss it. :giggle)

this is the shelf life of makeup: http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptrickstips/a/shelflife.htm

the summerize, you should really throw out all that old makeup.

crunchymum
12-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Doing it!! Before Christmas dh and I cleared out the play room - 2 big black trash bags of games and outgrown toys went off to a thrift store.
I packed up a bag of duplos - but my 6yo asked to keep them (specifically to build patterns and towers) :/ so I'm going to go through them and keep a small box and a building board.
I sold one of my kid tables for $25 on a local facebook board and she's picking it up this morning.
I have a grocery store bag full of accessories and random stuff out of my room and closet!
I'm not sure what my goal is :think other than to have less stuff! I'd like to make my space more usable.

:yes less stuff, more usable. I think that's my real goal, too.

We did some reconfiguring this morning (dh had some energy towards it because his brother is visiting from Denmark and is coming over tonight;)). I'm having a hard time knowing what to toss, since I don't know how this new house functions yet. Hopefully this is one step closer. :tu

I've got a big box of donations and 2 huge contractor bags of trash to go. :rockon

Katydid
12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
We're starting on the basement tomorrow! :rockon

MercyInDisguise
12-26-2012, 04:58 PM
We are hoping to move in 2013, so some major decluttering needs to go down here. :rockon

illinoismommy
12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
I am going to get rid of half of our Christmas decorations, we didn't use them all this year anyway. I like simplicity, and already most of my stuff is decluttered.

The most of what we have is toys, and I don't think I can get rid of all this new stuff :sigh so I am going to go buy some bins and organize a toy library where you check them out.

knitlove
12-26-2012, 05:39 PM
i'm in. we have to fit a new baby in here in the spring. I need to start with the corner shelves in the kitchen.

and part of me really wants a crystal ball if the baby is boy and we don't go to term I have so so so many clothes that could just go away.

Johns_Gal
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
I am about to go attack my third bedroom. It is supposed to be a study/den/etc. What it is, is the room of unfiltered crap my grandma keeps sending me, old photo albums, and a pile of craft stuff. :doh

Also, our pet rats live in there, where they are safe from a prowling cat and enthusiastic little boy, and I have *got* to do something about them throwing their shavings out of the cage. :/ Such a pain. Love our girlies, not loving their cagefetti thing.

abh5e8
12-26-2012, 05:55 PM
yes....i'm in. i took my old vaccum to salvation army today. a new one was our big christmas gift, for dh and I. i did consider keeping the old one "just in case" but i do know that is one of the cardinal rules of deluttering and simplifying, so off it went!

i thought i did a lot of decluttering before we moved, but now that we are unpacking, i'm realizing how much more i need to get rid of.

LadybugSam
12-26-2012, 06:54 PM
i posted a notice on facebook saying that i'm decluttering my baby items and if anybody wanted anything to message me. whatever is not taken will be donated to a local charity shop on feb 1st. in the meantime i plan to declutter other areas of the house so i dont get stuck

librarianjojo
12-26-2012, 07:09 PM

In case your pep talk didn't work, it is also probably a bacteria colony. ;)

To answer your question for other items, I usually grit my teeth and get rid of it. I've done this countless times and literally cannot remember one thing and don't regret any of them. Because I can't remember if I regret it. :shifty

mummy2boys
12-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm in!

crunchymum
12-26-2012, 07:26 PM

The most of what we have is toys, and I don't think I can get rid of all this new stuff :sigh so I am going to go buy some bins and organize a toy library where you check them out.

That is a fantastic idea!!!

Johns_Gal
12-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Third room halfway done.

I have a problem that I am so stuck on though; my grandmother sent me all these old family albums. My FOO is either dead or toxic crazy, but it wasn't always so.

So I have a huge box full of photos of people that I love, but have no contact with because they are dangerous, dead, or distanced themselves from the crazy when I was just a kid. I cannot just throw photos of my late mother, grandpa, etc in the trash. But these things are bulky and heavy and super dusty. I hate looking at them, so display = :no

WWYD? Shunting them into the tiny attic is looking like the least awful/encumbering.

blondie
12-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I put away a bin of clothes that the girls outgrew a few months ago that has just been in the way of our homeschooling room. :rockon

Tomorrow, I'm HOPING to get a chance to go through their closets/dressers and pull out other things that don't fit.

I also pulled out the 4T/5 bin of clothes for O. :happytears My baby is growing up.

Fireside
12-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Declutter/organize the master bedroom closet is today's project. It's pretty bad in there. :bag

knitlove
12-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Third room halfway done.

I have a problem that I am so stuck on though; my grandmother sent me all these old family albums. My FOO is either dead or toxic crazy, but it wasn't always so.

So I have a huge box full of photos of people that I love, but have no contact with because they are dangerous, dead, or distanced themselves from the crazy when I was just a kid. I cannot just throw photos of my late mother, grandpa, etc in the trash. But these things are bulky and heavy and super dusty. I hate looking at them, so display = :no

WWYD? Shunting them into the tiny attic is looking like the least awful/encumbering.

I would scan them keep the pictures in a digital form - that way you have them but they take up way way less space.

mamaKristin
12-27-2012, 07:17 AM
:raise We're also looking at a 2013 move...and we've FILLED this house. I'm going to do a massive yard sale in the spring too. I'm done with having so much *stuff*. I can't do much in January, as I've got a theatre production that month, but I'm getting ready to roll (things out of my house).

WI Mama05
12-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Maybe work on the basement today with the girls? I dunno. Down with a fresh cold and I'm pretty wiped.

Tandem mama
12-27-2012, 07:27 AM
:popcorn ill be back.

librarianjojo
12-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Third room halfway done.

:hug2 I would pick out the best few of each person I love and miss and then put them into an album. Then I would put the album on a bookshelf and only look at it when I feel up to it. If there are pictures of people that make you sad, but you don't want to get rid of them, load them into the album as well, but with the back of the photo showing. Or you could just send them to a scanning service and have them scan the good ones for you and send you the files. I think when you start looking through, you'll see that many aren't worth keeping at all due to the poor photography or age of the photo.

WildFlower
12-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm in, I need to declutter too. I have a stack of stuff I need to get rid of but my problem here is always thinking that I could get some $ out of the stuff instead of just donating it. Especially stuff I bought but then didn't use. :doh I'd love to have a yardsale, but I can't. We literally have no place to do one, because we live out in the country, down a long one way lane in the woods. I've done one with my mom in the past and it's always so complicated I swore I would never do one again with her, , well maybe once I am done having babies and need to sell all the baby gear. I try really hard to sell stuff on craigslist or ebay but it takes FOREVER and I only end up selling 1 or 2 things. Maybe I need to find someone else to have a sale with this summer.:scratch

bolt.
12-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Third room halfway done.

I'd dust them well, pack them solidly into a box or tote with a lid, close it up, label it clearly, "Extended family photo albums, xyz's side, (year) and previous." Then that box/tote would absolutely go in the attic storage.

JenLovie
12-27-2012, 09:02 AM
DH and I have plans for our downstairs coat closet organization. Sometime in the next few days we'll be buying a bunch of bins and other organizing tools. I'm excited.

WI Mama05
12-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I called, processed and packaged a return...one I drop that off it counts, right? :jump

Aisling
12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I need to do this, too. This week, I'm resting. :cup Next week...I'll get all crazy -eyed and go for it. :giggle I'm gathering energy.

knitlove
12-27-2012, 10:21 AM

I'd dust them well, pack them solidly into a box or tote with a lid, close it up, label it clearly, "Extended family photo albums, xyz's side, (year) and previous." Then that box/tote would absolutely go in the attic storage.

before putting them in the attic think about the how hot and cold it gets and whether that will turn them in to trash in a couple of season or not.

May be it is just growing up in South TX but: boxes of pictures + time in the attic = boxes of trash in the attic because the heat destroyed them all.

bolt.
12-27-2012, 10:51 AM
I just cleared the clutter mountains on top of three dresser/shelf units in my master bedroom. Also, my mini shelf unit is now organized with containment units. It feels much more peaceful in there now.

Fireside
12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Finished cleaning out the master bedroom closet! Two bags of stuff for the thrift store, two bags of trash that I burned (old receipts & Christmas cards, etc.). :rockon

I want to tackle another decluttering project today, but sweet DD2 only took an hour nap, so unless she goes down for a second one, I may have to wait until tomorrow.

tracierowe
12-27-2012, 11:14 AM
I need to purge and reorganize too. I'm not committing yet... Just subscribing ;)

LadybugSam
12-27-2012, 11:22 AM
has someone posted this 2013 items in 2013 (http://www.nourishingminimalism.com/2012/12/2013-in-2013-decluttering-challenge.html)? :D

Llee
12-27-2012, 11:24 AM
has someone posted this 2013 items in 2013 (http://www.nourishingminimalism.com/2012/12/2013-in-2013-decluttering-challenge.html)? :D

Great minds and all that. ;)

LoveIsGentle
12-27-2012, 11:26 AM
:heart That's my doula's blog. Yeah yeah yeah. I'm in. But you're going to have to poke me a bunch and motivate me! :giggle

Llee
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Oooh! I get to poke Sarah! :rockon

:pokea:whistle

LoveIsGentle
12-27-2012, 11:34 AM
:eyebrows

tazmom
12-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Yesterda was crazy and weird so I got nothing done. I'm hoping some shopping today to get us out of the house will give me a mental kickstart and I can start.

Johns_Gal
12-27-2012, 11:57 AM
before putting them in the attic think about the how hot and cold it gets and whether that will turn them in to trash in a couple of season or not.

May be it is just growing up in South TX but: boxes of pictures + time in the attic = boxes of trash in the attic because the heat destroyed them all.

We live in a temperate area. Not much humidity, etc, so I think we'll be fine. I kind of needed the attic seconded because space is at a premium up there, but- I don't want to look at them, I don't want to touch them, I just can't throw them out. Yet. Into a tote and up they go.

I am caffeinating and about to go finish the third bedroom. Found a super cute reading nook idea I want to incorporate for DS, so that's keeping me motivated. I got rid of a bunch of shoes, books, and a box of broken toys that I sorted and hid in there until trash day a few months ago. In the boxes of albums was an unlabelled box of clean clothes, from our move in... June. :bag So, win. Even if it is a win of shame.

Oh, and know what makes a husband happy? Finding his small box of video games, and handing him the stack of them to occupy the free time he's currently bored with. :grin

LadybugSam
12-27-2012, 12:03 PM
i have several boxes full of baby clothes. do i count the box as one item or the clothes individually? Maybe i'll count each box as 5 (even though there is WAY more than 5 outfits in there) to help motivate myself :think

baby swing moved to garage so my cousin can take it away for me when he comes by. if its not gone by feb its out, but at least its not in my livingroom anymore. Lily can roll out of it now so we haven't used it for a while.

crunchymum
12-27-2012, 01:35 PM
6 little kids running around and my BIL have thwarted any decluttering efforts today. :giggle but I'm committing to unpacking 1 whole box in its entirety today. Girl Scout's honor.

Oh, and we have a party tonight. :doh

shaslove
12-27-2012, 01:48 PM

I am in. We are moving most likely in March, and I want to bring less to the next house!

blondie
12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
I haven't gotten anything done today, but I have good vibes going from getting all the outgrown clothes put away last night. I need to pull out the rest of what they don't fit anymore.

LilacPhoenix
12-27-2012, 02:43 PM
I have the motivation today but no energy... Being sick is sucking it all out:pout

crunchymum
12-27-2012, 03:07 PM
:hugheart

I did it! Unpacked 1 box. :mrgreen :phew

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Scratch that, I actually did 2 boxes. :yes the second was small, though. :giggle

Johns_Gal
12-27-2012, 03:26 PM
i have several boxes full of baby clothes. do i count the box as one item or the clothes individually? Maybe i'll count each box as 5 (even though there is WAY more than 5 outfits in there) to help motivate myself :think

baby swing moved to garage so my cousin can take it away for me when he comes by. if its not gone by feb its out, but at least its not in my livingroom anymore. Lily can roll out of it now so we haven't used it for a while.

You count those as several. :yes I can't sort and count individually because I get all sentimental and stupid about it. :rolleyes :giggle So, box of old baby stuff= 10 points here.

I have a floor in the Doom Room again. :grin Getting excited about the possibilites for it.

However, this sinusy thing I have going on is not being helped by the dust from all the shifting, sorting, and purging going on. :tired Do you have any idea how sick I am of someone in my family being constantly sick?

LilacPhoenix
12-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Neti pot is a must when decluttering:yes

tazmom
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I went through both bathrooms because it was easy. Tossed a half dozen things we don't use anymore. I've decided deep cleaning isn't going to happen, but I did do a once over of the spots that don't get touched often like the inside of the medicine cabinet and the little lip on top of the mirror.

silverlining
12-27-2012, 06:02 PM
I managed to throw away a couple of semi-sentimental Christmas decorations that really needed to go, and put a few others in the donate box. It's not much, but it's something.

AdrienneQW
12-27-2012, 07:09 PM
i'm in. we have to fit a new baby in here in the spring. I need to start with the corner shelves in the kitchen.

This gave me a fit of the giggles... I think a corner shelf in the kitchen is a great place for a new baby. :giggle :heart

WI Mama05
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been cleaning today, not deep-decluttering, but culling as I go at the surface. I think I've taken out three bags of garbage :bag. Neither DH nor the garbage man are going to be happy :giggle .

movinforward
12-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm in. I gave a big bag of girl's clothes that my step-daughters have outgrown to the neighbor girls. I gave a bag of 3T boy clothing and toys to a co-worker who has a 3 year old boy. My biggest thing to tackle is our basement. When we moved into our home and "combined families" - all the "extras" went into the basement. There is lots and lots that need to go.

Anyone in Ohio who needs a changing table? I have a nice one I would like to give to someone who could use it.

tazmom
12-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Today is park day so I've done chores but I'm not going through stuff today. I am going to throw some stuff in the trunk and drop it off at Goodwill on the way. I threw out a pair of dd's shorts that had holes in them while folding laundry. That counts, right? ;)

chasingbutterflies
12-28-2012, 11:17 AM

I'm in. Slight chance we may be moving this year...which helps with motivation. ;)

backtobasicsmum
12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Cleaned out my sock and underwear drawer. Cleaned out my closet of things I was hanging on to "just in case". Super bulky bathrobe that I haven't worn in probably 5 years....gone! All those sweaters that have shrunk and no long look flattering on me at all...gone! 2 garbage bags full!

JenLovie
12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Make up is in the trash. I made a run for some containers to sort and store stuff. I need to do some cleaning before friends come over so That will be all I do today.

Fireside
12-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Cleaned under the kitchen sink today. Yick!! But it's done now!

Bagged up two bags of thrift store stuff in the girls' room today. Time for a little break with my book. :)

jmom1984
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm in! Our twins are coming around Easter and I have got to clear out as much clutter as I can just to remain sane! Definitely going to hit it hard in January, before I get so big I can harly move! :giggle

I've already done the girls' closet and the bathroom closet. More to come! Hubby is loving it and willing to cart anything I pack up off to Goodwill or resale. Toys are getting a total overhaul. I'm spending Christmas money on storage/organizational stuff. I'm actually really excited about it!

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Oh, and I cleaned out my underwear drawer the other day, just pitched everything that doesn't fit and I don't (or shouldn't!) wear. Now that will force me to buy some new, which I really needed. It was incredibly satisfying to toss those small things.

Tandem mama
12-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I just did a lot of decluttering. I can do more. I want to do deep cleaning, organizing, and painting. Can that count?

LilacPhoenix
12-29-2012, 07:52 PM
I wasn't planning on doing any decluttering today, but I have three more boxes packed for donation, and added to the box of clothes for my nephew:) Don't know when I'll be able to bring the three boxes (two different destinations), but they're ready!

WI Mama05
12-29-2012, 08:31 PM
I did a bit in my room today. Not as much as I would have liked, but the kids found me :shifty

Llee
12-29-2012, 08:41 PM
I went through all our videos and Dressy and I went through the girls' videos. Got a lot that are going bah-bye!

FlyingBlueKiwi
12-29-2012, 08:44 PM
My decluttering goals for January are

(1) a box of 'stuff' that is in my bedroom and,

(2) the school bookshelf, which needs to be cleaned up, decluttered, and updated

(3) kids vids that DS has outgrown

abh5e8
12-29-2012, 08:49 PM
so who's going for garage sale and who is sending it all to goodwill? I'm slowly filling some boxes, but still wavering on their destination.

Llee
12-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I listed mine on our local FB garage sale sites. If they don't sell by the end of next week, off to MIL's house or Goodwill they go.

librarianjojo
12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm a Goodwill girl. Mostly because I know good and well that I will absolutely never get it together enough to have a garage sale. :shifty I have good intentions but I have better things to do with the Saturdays that I am off. I will attempt Craigslist for lots (like a bunch of clothing) or large items that I know sell well (electronics, furniture, etc.) but I price it to sell - like $10 for a DVD player or $25 for a couch. However, I have a strong affinity for the work Goodwill does in job training for people who have mostly slipped through the cracks, so I try to donate *good* stuff that I know they can sell.

In other news...pantry is decluttered. WOOT! I'm going to do another once through on my kitchen.

Garland
12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I love de-cluttering. Well, okay, not really. But I LOVE it when I'm done with a de-cluttering project!

I have lots to do. One.small.task.at.a.time.

Johns_Gal
12-29-2012, 10:39 PM
You guys, my third room is an actual room again! :woohoo :giggle Need to figure out how to organize craft stuff; all my scrapbooking things, kiddie crafts for DS, DH's drawing stuff... that stuff is so awkward to store and still be able to use it easily.

Oh, and I live in a neighborhood where people have huge garage sales every nice weekend. We are where everyone comes to browse. :giggle You betcha I am having a yard sale! We're scheming on April, a few weeks before a trip we have to take. I have a huge aquarium that won't fit in this house, and I am trying to talk DH into letting me get rid of the extra fridge living in our garage. We just don't need it, though he likes it for beverage storage. Two big ticket items right there.

I need to reorganize the master closet, but that isn't too bad.

tazmom
12-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Dh has a 5 day weekend, so I told him we're attacking the house. I want to start with the Room of Doom aka the office/schoolroom/artroom/storage space tomorrow.

I need to figure out how to get the stuff separated and out of the house without triggering A's anxiety and having her meltdown over each and every item for days on end. :think

JenLovie
12-30-2012, 05:46 AM
I prefer donating but our LLL needs to make some money so we're planning a spring garage sale. I'll keep decent stuff for that.

WI Mama05
12-30-2012, 06:10 AM
As i was making dinner last night I somewhat decluttered the top shelf of my cabinet --- all of the snacks are now compiled in a way where we can actually get at them and, well, SNACK on them! :lol

I also now have an empty shelf :tu I can finally move more of my kitchen stuff from the basement to the kitchen :jump

mipennsn
12-30-2012, 07:08 AM

I want to be able to park in the garage this winter. When we moved last fall a lot if boxes ended up in the garage. We still have items missing. :bag

I want to sort things out and get rid of them instead of just hauling to the basement. I have boxes still from when we moved to this area 5.5 years and 3 houses ago that are still packed. :bag Time to sort and go. Most of my stuff will go to goodwill or Salvation Army.

JJsMom
12-30-2012, 08:36 AM
I cleaned out two smallish kitchen drawers last week. They both had hot pads and stuff spilling out. My hot pads are a running joke with dh's family bc mine are so old and just awful. So, I got three new ones for Christmas. So, now the old ones are gone and I cleaned out the drawers enough so that they fit in one drawer (which closes without a fight) and the other drawer is empty. :tu I think I'm going to use it for my dh's work stuff that has taken over that counter.
Yesterday, I got 5 more garbage bags filled for donating and one big box. Plus, I filled two bags of garbage and broke down empty boxes. I can actually walk to the laundry area. :woohoo
But I'm feeling discouraged. There is so much to go through. I'm overwhelmed. I am starting to think that I can't ever have the space I can see in my mind. I have this clear image of what it will look like but it means decluttering at least half of the stuff down there. I have not really done a big declutter since 2008. It's bad.
Encourage me?

tazmom
12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
You can do it! :cheer

ArmsOfLove
12-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I've been cleaning out my closet :yes

Beth1231
12-30-2012, 09:18 AM
A received a BUNCH of arts sets and supplies this Christmas so I went through her art bin and art bag and sorted/reorganized. And I put the new stuff in gallon size bags.

Next up is making homes for C' s New toys. And mine and Hubby's. I purge A LOT so there is very little that I can get rid of (unfortunately).

librarianjojo
12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
I cleaned out two smallish kitchen drawers last week. They both had hot pads and stuff spilling out. My hot pads are a running joke with dh's family bc mine are so old and just awful. So, I got three new ones for Christmas. So, now the old ones are gone and I cleaned out the drawers enough so that they fit in one drawer (which closes without a fight) and the other drawer is empty. :tu I think I'm going to use it for my dh's work stuff that has taken over that counter.
Yesterday, I got 5 more garbage bags filled for donating and one big box. Plus, I filled two bags of garbage and broke down empty boxes. I can actually walk to the laundry area. :woohoo
But I'm feeling discouraged. There is so much to go through. I'm overwhelmed. I am starting to think that I can't ever have the space I can see in my mind. I have this clear image of what it will look like but it means decluttering at least half of the stuff down there. I have not really done a big declutter since 2008. It's bad.
Encourage me?

:cheer That is incredible for a week! Just think if you do that every week in 2013. That would be over 250 bags for donation! Just commit to doing a little each day or even each week and it will be gone before you know it! It didn't get that way in a day, week, or even a month so be patient with yourself. You'll get there in the end. :thumbsup

ETA: Is anyone else really grateful that organization bins are all on sale right now?

Johns_Gal
12-30-2012, 11:37 AM
ETA: Is anyone else really grateful that organization bins are all on sale right now?

It's like they KNOW. :giggle :shifty

LoveIsGentle
12-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I went through my living room and dining room the other day! There wasn't much left, because I did it before Christmas, but I got rid of a few things. I did a little in the kitchen and bathroom too. I have some big areas coming up that I'll get loads of points for that challenge...if I ever get to them! :giggle

JenLovie
12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
It's like they KNOW. :giggle :shifty

It's actually considered a retail micro season per DH (he used to work for Lowe's). I'm just glad that there are lots of good deal right now. Dollar Tree has some good things, but they are pretty flimsy. We picked up some bins at Costco today. Hopefully I'll get some time to fill them tomorrow.

AmyDoll
12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I filled the back of my SUV up with STUFF and I'm taking it to the thrift store NOW.
WooHoo!!

I want someone to organize my kitchen stuff!

tazmom
12-30-2012, 01:23 PM
I pulled 70ish books from the bookshelves. 48 of those are on old library set of states books I got for free.

Dh is sitting down with the girls and making the build-your-own Build A Bears that have been sitting on a shelf for years.

I've got a half dozen craft kits on top of the bookshelves. I think I need to make an effort to bring down one each weekend and let the kids have at it.

knitlove
12-30-2012, 02:20 PM
So does any one else DH not on board with a deep decluttering?

tazmom
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
My dh is on board. He has convinced himself that we don't have much to get rid of since we've done this many times before. :no Foolish man.

I've lined the hallway with stuff to give away from the Room of Doom. The closet is almost half empty in there now and the piles of clutter is shrinking.

I'm trying to convince the kids that they don't need the play kitchen, shopping carts, and doll stroller anymore. They do not agree. :lol

Johns_Gal
12-30-2012, 04:27 PM

Mine wants to keep broken toys because "they can help DS's imagination!" and rescued a pair or his old, holey running shoes from the trash. He's sort of on board. :lol I overrule him with things that don't belong to him (like broken toys) though. Love him. Can't have boxes fof broken bits hanging around for ten years. :giggle

In other news, kitchen junk drawer de-junked. One more to go.... mostly batteries, flashlights, things like that, but I need to o through it an clean/organize the contents.

Llee
12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Last night we went through our video stash and Dressy and I went through their video library. Found close to 50 things (I miscounted, if you read my 44 status update) and sold them today. :rockon

LadybugSam
12-30-2012, 06:46 PM
i worked on my backyard today. i thew out the plastic toys that had been in the sun too long, the cat shelters that looked too raggedy, the toys that were victims of the lawnmower (we haven't mowed since july), and the small wading pool that had been on out back porch since the last time we mowed...

and also the halloween pumpkin from the front porch :shifty

very productive day. I'm not done back there, but the recycling bin is full so i will have to stop until next week.

LilacPhoenix
12-30-2012, 06:49 PM
DH is TOTALLY on board... with me doing it:lol Had a sick kiddo this morning who only wanted to be in mommy's lap, then once he was back to normal, I had to scramble to get things planned for our get-together tomorrow. No more decluttering till at least Wednesday...

Llee
12-30-2012, 07:39 PM
A load of book and random boxes are going to be outta here by 11:10 tomorrow morning. :rockon

mipennsn
12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
We did a big pick up/decluttering in the living room. I think I took 5 bags of trash out (a few were bags that hadn't been taken out yet).

Now to get the rest of the house picked up.

crunchymum
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
You guys are inspiring!

FlyingBlueKiwi
12-30-2012, 09:22 PM
My decluttering goals for January are

(1) a box of 'stuff' that is in my bedroom and,

(2) the school bookshelf, which needs to be cleaned up, decluttered, and updated

(3) kids vids that DS has outgrown

OK, number one above is now DONE, and it's not even January yet!!!

:rockon >>> me!!!!

Teribear
12-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm in. I've finally gotten around to feeling emotionally able to deal with the flood boxes - TWO YEARS post flood. I didn't realize how traumatizing that experience was at the time but clearly the fact that it took me this long to be able/willing to deal with it says otherwise.

Llee
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
So if I buy dishes, does that mean I need to erase dome squares? :shifty

JenLovie
12-31-2012, 07:36 AM

He is and isn't. I'd love to pare down kid toys, but DH would rather hold on to them just in case the boys want to play with them. I will compromise by getting rid of stuff we won't use and organizing stuff we're keeping.
We organized the shoes in our coat closet. I need to pull stuff off the shelf and organize/remove that stuff.

tazmom
12-31-2012, 07:37 AM
We snuck the play kitchen into the trunk while the kids were sleeping last night. Dh intends to drop off everything this morning.

Next is my closet. EEK!

Tandem mama
12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
I need to go through clothes. I think that'll be first on my list.m

Tomorrow we are taking down Christmas stuff provided no children are sick.

Llee
12-31-2012, 07:59 AM
The girls have been really good this year about "giving other kids toys to play with" or "let's sell them to buy X". It's been good to go through and get things done with them, instead of having to sneak around like last year.

LilySue
12-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Yes, he says that all we need to do is get good storage and organise what we have.... I don't agree and I'm trying to be graceful about this without losing my mind!

ReadingMommy
12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
I did a huge declutter last year, but we've been given lots of stuff the past few months (mostly kids' junky toys with lots of little pieces...ugh) and it's time to do more! I'm also taking things a step further because our house is so small and because we are hoping to move this coming summer: A lot of stuff we don't absolutely use all the time, but that I'm not quite ready to just get rid of is getting packed up into boxes and sealed shut. I'd much rather deal with a stack of boxes in my room than a bunch of *stuff* that just gets spread all over the house by the kids. I figure this is a good test, too. When we move, if it doesn't find a good place in the new house (or we realized we haven't really missed it), it can go at that time.:yes

Elspeth
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Pretty much every room and closet in my house could use a declutter. My biggest roadblock is to figure out my priorities in life. The stuff is there because I decided at some point to keep it, right? To decide not to keep a lot of this stuff is a big hurdle for me.

Me too. I'm signing up because my house desperately needs to be decluttered, but I also need to figure out a way to organize things without spending a lot of money and somehow make it look good in the process. We moved into our house 2 years ago when I was pregnant with DS2, then DS2 was born, and I never really got everything in order before he was born. Definitely didn't have it under control after he was born, and now, I dread having company over. I always apologize for how messy the hosue is. It's just embarassing, and most of the "mess" is stuff that has nowhere else to go but stacked on the floor or jammed in a corner/bookshelf. My craft room is packed with junk. It's not functional as a craft room right now, and a good bit of what's in there is meant for a future yard sale.

LoveIsGentle
12-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Got close to 100 things to get rid of/donate this morning...then the toddler got sick so I'm snuggling with him now. :( Poor baby.

ReadingMommy
12-31-2012, 01:06 PM
DH just got back from the store with my boxes!:rockon Can't wait to start boxing up all this STUFF and see some clean and empty spaces!

knitlove
12-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I think part of my dh's issue with it is when we moves a year and a half a go we got rid of a third or more of all of our stuff.

That and he thinks I am irrational when pregnant and will get rid of stuff that we need.

abh5e8
12-31-2012, 01:27 PM

dh is not in board, in the sense he is not going to go through things with me to get rid of, but really, the stuff is not anything he will notice/miss. its dishes/kitchen stuff, kids and my clothes, books, toys.

blondie
12-31-2012, 02:05 PM
My DH is so on board, but is good at holding down the couch when I need him to help with bigger stuff/stuff that is his. :giggle

Today I FINALLY got through O's dresser and pulled out everything that is too small. I've had that on my list for a few weeks now. I still need to do it in her closet, H's closet, and H's dresser.

I also cleaned out the fridge, which is less of a "declutter", but I'm still super proud. :grin

Hoping to get to the book shelves tonight. IDK what to do with books we don't want anymore other than donate them. I wish I could get some $$ out of them.

chasingbutterflies
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
My DH is very on board. Although even if he wasn't I'd still be doing it, because right now I do far more of the cleaning around here than he does and I'm going batty :shifty with him on board means he can do his stuff too though, which will be nice!

I do think we may end up having a bit of a conflict on yard sale vs. just donating. He is talking about a yard sale but IDK. It'd be a lot of work. I think I may do an 'online yard sale' thread here and anything that doesn't sell/is too big to ship, just donate.

I cleaned out the sidebar/cabinets in our dining room today :tu

Auroras mom
12-31-2012, 02:34 PM
I am lugging a load to Goodwill now, taking mroe to a garage sale fundraiser this week, and donating computer stuff to a local place that fixes them up as well. Also, we donated an old car last week.

I have a ton of books to go through, pack up, purge, etc.

And, I have 3, yes 3, totes full of dd's clothes that are outgrown. I need to sell them, and have not been selling fo hte past year or so much. I vow to list what I can of the spring and summer stuff, and take what does nto sell to consignment and donate what is left this first quarter.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

** I also have a purse collection problem, and vow to list at least 4 of them or donate/sell at consgnment this month as well.

Tandem mama
12-31-2012, 03:06 PM
My DH is so on board, but is good at holding down the couch when I need him to help with bigger stuff/stuff that is his. :giggle

Today I FINALLY got through O's dresser and pulled out everything that is too small. I've had that on my list for a few weeks now. I still need to do it in her closet, H's closet, and H's dresser.

I also cleaned out the fridge, which is less of a "declutter", but I'm still super proud. :grin

Hoping to get to the book shelves tonight. IDK what to do with books we don't want anymore other than donate them. I wish I could get some $$ out of them.

Well, you don't want the couch floating away....

I refuse to start til 2013 starts. :snooty

blondie
12-31-2012, 06:58 PM
DH is helping me! :heart He helped me with the upstairs freezer, and now he's organizing the two deep freezers for me. I get too cold. :shiver
We threw some old stuff away. :rockon

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I threw away all of my grandma's old VHS Disney movies. :sob

It's gonna be okay...........It's gonna be okay...........................

Llee
12-31-2012, 07:01 PM
I sold our old vhs tapes. :shifty

blondie
12-31-2012, 07:04 PM
DH doesn't think I'll get any $$ for them. Where/how/how much did you sell them/for? :think That made sense while I was typing.

cro
12-31-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm in. We cleaned out our basement last summer, but somehow the boxes of stuff have piled up again. And the rest of the house ...I don't have one clear room. :( The kids donated a bunch of toys to hurricane Sandy victims, bit there's still so much more. And clothes and papers and..... :sigh

Llee
12-31-2012, 09:14 PM
DH doesn't think I'll get any $$ for them. Where/how/how much did you sell them/for? :think That made sense while I was typing.

On our local FB online FB garage sale site. $1vhs $2/dvd or all of the box for $10. Buy two boxes for $15. Sold in 20 hours.

crunchymum
12-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Holy cow, I made huge progress in the basement today!! :woohoo some of it was rearranging boxes, but I unpacked several and broke down the boxes, threw out 2 huge contractor bags of garbage and one huge bag of donations. :grin

tazmom
01-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Lots of progress in the master closet today. Dh pulled out everything except the clothes and piled it in our room. I've been through boxes of stuff from my childhood, the box where I packed my desk when I quit my job 8 years ago, bags of clothes people gave my kids, and boxes and boxes of papers.

Hoping to finish sorting and putting it back together tomorrow.

JJsMom
01-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm gonna start a January thread later. I just can't think straight right now.

mamaKristin
01-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Un-doing Christmas today. Taking down all the decor, and weeding out some stuff to our big yard sale pile of boxes. Once Spring really hits here, I'm doing a massive sale :yes

WildFlower
01-01-2013, 12:26 PM
I really want to find someone to do a sale with. I wish I could just do a sale here. I am thinking I might just take the plunge and start donating things, and trust that God will provide when we need something. Maybe thinking of it as a donation to that charity, the money I would have made selling it. We just live too far out and no practical way to have a sale here at all. Unless I haul my stuff in town, multiple trips with a toddler, then I'll just have to haul whatever doesn't sell and sit at a sale all day. I may as well haul it once and donate it, what I cant' sell online.

I need to start sorting something. Maybe I'll start with the kitchen.

silverlining
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Just cleaned out a large dresser that was being used for storage. One bag to the trash, one ready for Goodwill, a couple of rediscovered clothing items I might actually wear again, and three empty drawers. Not bad for an hour of work. It's not much compared to what some of you are doing, but I do best with short bursts of work so I don't get overwhelmed.

mamaKristin
01-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I got distracted this morning and washed a great big load of water :doh Must be more focused.

chelsea
01-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I got distracted this morning and washed a great big load of water :doh Must be more focused.

Hahahahaha!! :roll That totally made my morning!! :D

You ladies are totally inspiring me to declutter, even just reading this thread motivates me! Yesterday I was lounging while baby napped, reading this and all of a sudden I was so motivated that I got up out of bed and completely cleaned an area that was clutter filled. So thanks all of you!!

blondie
01-01-2013, 02:17 PM
I planned to do stuff today, but then I didn't. :haha

RiverRock
01-01-2013, 02:25 PM
I have been accumulating a donation pile in the garage, but I wanted to wait until 2013 to get rid of it. This week it is going...after I take photos. I think I am going to take a walk through of my home and compare photos with the end of the year. I have really big decluttering and re-organizing plans, with a few minor decor changes in mind that will hopefully have big impact. It seems a little counter-productive with the decluttering challenge, but I've recently been buying solid wood furniture to paint and refinish. One piece has been refinished, with four more to go. I'm really excited for this year in so many ways! I want to streamline our belongings while injecting more personality in our home.

Teribear
01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Ok...I did the math and 2013/365 is 5.5 items a day...so my goal is to clear out no less than 6 items a day. Today's items include a popcorn popper that takes up far too much room, the extra coffee pot that hasn't been used since we got our kurieg last Christmas, a painting I bought last year at goodwill for the frame before I realized it was far too large for the painting I wanted to put in it, a stack of home improvement books I bought during the flood recovery and no longer need. Off to goodwill.

knitlove
01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I asked if DH would get rid of one of is hats (it doesn't fit I don't know how it managed to get move with us) and he said yes. This is a rather big deal here.

ozmummy
01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
:rockon

To all you decluttering queens.

I am on holidays, hoping to maintain my motivation when I get back....

Starfox
01-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Dh and I tackled the hall closet tonight. Two huge bins to donate. :rockon

Tomorrow: the crap on top of the fridge and the papers on the counter. :shiver

Sparrow
01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I started by cleaning out all my drawers. My problem isn't so much outward clutter....

OK, so you know that episode of Friends, when Monica has that crazy cluttered closet. That is every closet in my house. And every drawer. And every cupboard. :shifty

So..... I've done all my own dresser drawers. One large garbage bag full of stuffs gone. And the hall closet. Board games stacked, reorganized. Excess linens donated.

One huge bag full of clothes for charity.

I can do this, can't I? For me its not tackling it that is the problem. I'm such a big P I just don't know HOW to organize - like what to do with it.

WildFlower
01-01-2013, 04:41 PM
I feel so overwhelmed I don't know where to start. Theres so much general pickup that needs done, I don't know how to keep motivated to actually declutter:doh

Sparrow
01-01-2013, 04:45 PM
My MIL taught me a good trick. Start with the least stressful place and pick a corner of that room to work on. It works :yes Normally I'd get stressed. I'd start in the kitchen and find a stapler that belonged in the office. Then in the office I'd find toys. Then I'd put the toys away and find a roll of toilet paper in that room. Then I'd take it to the bathroom and notice the mirror was horrible. I'd clean the mirror and decide to scrub the toilet. I'd go to the kitchen to get the cleaners and then I'd remember that I was going to load the dishwasher.

Very If you give a Mooose a Muffin :shifty Seriously. xNFP can relate to that book. Its about me :D

crunchymum
01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
You can do it! :yes :woohoo organizing can be broken down into simple steps, there are basic principles. Getting rid of clutter is a great start. :yes

WildFlower
01-01-2013, 05:13 PM
My MIL taught me a good trick. Start with the least stressful place and pick a corner of that room to work on. It works :yes Normally I'd get stressed. I'd start in the kitchen and find a stapler that belonged in the office. Then in the office I'd find toys. Then I'd put the toys away and find a roll of toilet paper in that room. Then I'd take it to the bathroom and notice the mirror was horrible. I'd clean the mirror and decide to scrub the toilet. I'd go to the kitchen to get the cleaners and then I'd remember that I was going to load the dishwasher.

Very If you give a Mooose a Muffin :shifty Seriously. xNFP can relate to that book. Its about me :D
That's exactly what I do, the Moose a Muffin thing. I start out in one room and end up feeling very scatterd and ADD:giggle I will try to find a low stress corner and just start. I "think" having a bag or box for things to go that go in other rooms might help so I am not constantly taking things to new rooms.

Sparrow
01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
That works for me. And I don't home it when I go in, or I get distracted.

And crunchymom has some really pretty organization ideas that's she's pinned.

crunchymum
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
I feel so overwhelmed I don't know where to start. Theres so much general pickup that needs done, I don't know how to keep motivated to actually declutter:doh

:hugheart itu. When things were really really bad, before I had my friend come help me (she's a professional organizer), I literally had one while room that was just *trashed* and I would throw stuff into it to get it out of the way. :bag

It was several weeks of sorting and prep before my friend came to help. I invested in a bunch of white banker's boxes, and started working through one room at a time. First I had a big bag for trash, a big bag for donations, and a box marked "elsewhere" - that was for things that didn't belong in the room, to be sorted and put away later. Then I would put post it's on the bankers boxes set around the perimeter, to sort and catagorize. :yes Like with like. Some of my common catagories were: kids, paper (included books, receipts, etc), and then whatever fit with that room (so if it's the bathroom, some categories would be haircare, skin care, hygiene, etc). The nice thing about the boxes is that once I was done for the day, I could put the lids on the boxes and stack them neatly out of the way. :)

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

:lol exactly! Thus the "elsewhere" box. ;)

ReadingMommy
01-01-2013, 05:52 PM
So I now have a stack of boxes in the corner of my bedroom containing books, some decorative items and my wedding china (which I posted about a long time ago on GCM trying to psyche myself up to get rid of it, but in the end, couldn't bring myself to do it.:shifty) Maybe that's not ideal, but it's far preferable to being spread clear and wide across my house! Some of it I may be getting rid of later, but some of it I probably won't. It's nice to have the pressure off for the time being, knowing I can make the decision later, after we move, and after I've lived without the stuff for a while to see what I miss.:rockon

I also totally pulled all the junky stuff I'm not crazy about from my kids' toy collection and stuck it in a box high up in my closet. We'll see if they ask about any of it or not in the next few months. If they don't, I have a feeling it will just magically disappear from our lives forever.:giggle

The best part of all...clean surfaces are emerging everywhere!!! It's wonderful!!!:D

crunchymum
01-01-2013, 05:54 PM
:woohoo

macksmom
01-01-2013, 06:05 PM
I planned to do stuff today, but then I didn't. :haha

lol...same thing here :shrug3. But I'm in starting tomorrow!
We did a major declutter/downsize when we moved a little over a year ago. But after living in a tiny space for awhile there are certain areas that need mastering again :dohHow does the stuff pile up?

librarianjojo
01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
This thread is more inspiring than a Hoarders marathon. :shifty

AdrienneQW
01-01-2013, 06:48 PM
It was several weeks of sorting and prep before my friend came to help. I invested in a bunch of white banker's boxes, and started working through one room at a time. First I had a big bag for trash, a big bag for donations, and a box marked "elsewhere" - that was for things that didn't belong in the room, to be sorted and put away later. Then I would put post it's on the bankers boxes set around the perimeter, to sort and catagorize. :yes Like with like. Some of my common catagories were: kids, paper (included books, receipts, etc), and then whatever fit with that room (so if it's the bathroom, some categories would be haircare, skin care, hygiene, etc). The nice thing about the boxes is that once I was done for the day, I could put the lids on the boxes and stack them neatly out of the way.

That's AMAZING... I have EXACTLY the same system! It's almost like we used the same professional organizer or something!

:giggle

crunchymum
01-01-2013, 07:00 PM
That's AMAZING... I have EXACTLY the same system! It's almost like we used the same professional organizer or something!

:giggle

:roll :giggle

AmyDoll
01-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I passed along my stroller and my play kitchen and all the accessories to a little girl in our co-op! :cheer

The thrift store wouldn't take my toys :doh I think I can dump them in the goodwill bin up the street. I'm going to read the side of that tomorrow.

bclemons84
01-01-2013, 07:17 PM
I think we are going to declutter our stuff whenever we move into the house we are buying in a month or so. I don't think we have much to declutter though because we already purged a lot of stuff this fall. I'll be 37 weeks pregnant when we move, so I don't feel like dealing with it right now. :cry

blondie
01-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I think the January thread should have more pictures. :think

ReadingMommy
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
I would post pictures in a different forum!

Starfox
01-01-2013, 08:56 PM
We got the top of the fridge drone and the one small counter by the coffee maker! :rockon. I'll totally take before and after pics tomorrow. Where is the January thread?

blondie
01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Doooo it. :poke

JJsMom
01-01-2013, 09:51 PM
I started the January thread. It's not in this forum but close. It's where we can also post pics.
:grouphug

tazmom
01-01-2013, 11:46 PM
I didn't finish the closet stuff yet. I got a couple more boxes sorted, but it's hard because most of the stuff is memory boxes and I keep going down memory lane.

walkwallfall
01-01-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm subbing. I just got rid of a ton of shoes and got rid of a bunch of old toys. I'm trying to have a clean home.

chelsea
01-02-2013, 01:49 AM
A tough part for me is feeling like decluttering is taking away something I should maybe be keeping around... in case I need it, or just because it's a "nice" item and I shouldn't get rid of "nice" things. I just read an article that finally brought home the point to me that giving away items means you are "keeping the space". So I've created a new mantra for myself: "I'm not losing an item, I'm gaining space."

crunchymum
01-02-2013, 07:10 AM
:tu I love that! I also like to think that someone else will be able to enjoy that thing I'm passing along. :yes

mipennsn
01-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Dh and I surveyed the garage last night and made a little plan. It is going to be work, but I like the plan. Between cold and kids it is going to be short bursts. I'll have to go find the Jan thread to post pictures for motivation to get our vehicles in the garage, and get the snow blower out when we need it hopefully. Our goal then work on the rest of the house.

walkwallfall
01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
A tough part for me is feeling like decluttering is taking away something I should maybe be keeping around... in case I need it, or just because it's a "nice" item and I shouldn't get rid of "nice" things. I just read an article that finally brought home the point to me that giving away items means you are "keeping the space". So I've created a new mantra for myself: "I'm not losing an item, I'm gaining space."

My dh has this problem too. He has trouble throwing away items that have potential use. Problem is that the random things we are keeping that we never use keep us from having space and make us feel sort of stressed out. Its been a battle but I think he's gotten it after I just had to force him to deal with his hoarding tendencies lol.

I think the two things I'd like to get uncluttered is the closet where are storage space is. It's disastrous. And also we have too many books that we never read. But that's spmethig I'll never get dh to get rid of lol.

knitlove
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
And also we have too many books that we never read. But that's spmethig I'll never get dh to get rid of lol.

The prospect of moving cross country and paying $$ per box of books is what helped us to go through them. We still have way more than most people (I think we are easily at more than a thousand physical books not counting the nook books) but we left a third. But we have the ones that we have read and will reread and the ones we want to have for Early Bird.

WildFlower
01-04-2013, 01:36 PM
so when cleaning out makeup, how do you know what to throw out? I have more than what I need of colors I "like" but I only realistically use a handful of them. I have a whole small basketful and some are really old. I have lipsticks that, I have no idea how old they are and I don't like lipsticks. I am tempted to throw them all out. But a couple look brandnew, only tried them on, but I know I can't sell them and they do breed germs right? I feel guilty throwing away makeup that's barely used since it's so expensive. But no point in keeping it if I'm not using it right? Tell me it's ok to throw away?:nails

I did clean out the whole downstairs bathroom,cleaned and decluttered and went through all the drawers and wiped them out and put back only what belongs and what we use. Now working on the upstairs bathroom which is harder because thats where most of my stuff is. I got through one drawer, Now working on the makeup drawer. After that it won't be quite as hard though.

Earthmummy07
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
It's ok to throw it away :yes

Llee
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Be free of the bondage of not for you make up!

knitlove
01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
i try to only buy make up in very very small portions. because I will buy it for a specific event and then neaver use it again. by the time I want to use it again it has normally pased the time you are suposed to keep things like lipstick or mascara, so I toss it all and start over.

I have read that. ineral make up is difrent and that it doesn't expire but havt wanted any make up sence I read that so I havt gotten any.

tazmom
01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Throw out any makeup you don't LOVE. Throw out the mascara or lipstick that is more than a few months old and you don't LOVE.

Decluttering is on hold because life is happening all around me. I'll get back to it when things slow down or when I get sick of my bedroom being a mess. Whichever comes first.

jmom1984
01-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Packed up 3 bags to give away or go to resale today, in addition to getting clothes/shoes ready that get passed on to my nieces. It feels sooooo good to see a big load going out!

Johns_Gal
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Tons of crud out of DS's room. My storage tote overfloweth. :giggle

WildFlower
01-05-2013, 07:04 AM
I threw away most of the lipsticks and some of the eyeshadow. I am going back to throw the rest away after breakfast:giggle It felt so good to just throw them away. I filled the bathroom trashcan with junk and stuff. I realized I wasn't keeping track of how many items I was throwing away, so I'll just have to guess. I wanted to do the "get rid of 2013 things in 2013":)

Llee
01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I bet it was 23 items of make-up stuff you threw out. Go ahead--mark 23 on your chart. ;)

bolt.
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM
2 pre-holiday clutter boxes dealt with so far.

Plus, today is dis-en-decoration day -- so putting things away for next year will be a satisfying way to build momentum.

librarianjojo
01-05-2013, 10:58 AM
You ladies rock! Look at you with your decluttering selves. :giggle I am going to go back through our file box today. It is time to get everything together for tax time anyway, so today is a good time to get started on paper clutter!

WildFlower
01-05-2013, 07:09 PM
I cleaned out 8 drawers in the master bathroom. I still have 4 to go (2 of which only need wiped out and things replaced, washcloths and toilet paper)

DH's drawer was the most interesting! Condoms that are long since expired from back in the day when we were first together. 2 expired in 2006 and the rest expired in 2002:jawdrop I showed them to dh and said, we don't need to keep these do we? And he says " :jawdrop, well they are probably really just fine....." I said "No....you aren't supposed to trust them after they expire" I suppose we could have just let him find out of they are still reliable if he wants. :shifty But I threw them away.

DH's draw was full of nail clippings in the bottom. :yuck

We did get the tree taken down and put away and the ornaments put away. But there's a still a few christmas things I need to pack away.

crunchymum
01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
:giggle no way would I trust an expired condom, either. :giggle

I slept in today. :shifty so I felt like nothing got done. :sigh We did, however, take down the tree and put away ornaments and decorations. We also bought a wardrobe for dd so she has someplace to put her clothes (no closet). Depending on how motivated I feel after the littles are asleep, I was hoping to sort through all of my "bathroom" boxes from moving. :think

ArmsOfLove
01-05-2013, 07:43 PM
:tu I love that! I also like to think that someone else will be able to enjoy that thing I'm passing along. :yes I've worked to redo the tapes in my head . . . I now remind myself that God brought these things to me when I needed them and will bring them to me again if I need them again. For now, all I'm doing is keeping them from being in the hands of someone else who needs them :doh

I started by cleaning out all my drawers. My problem isn't so much outward clutter....

OK, so you know that episode of Friends, when Monica has that crazy cluttered closet. That is every closet in my house. And every drawer. And every cupboard. :shifty

So..... I've done all my own dresser drawers. One large garbage bag full of stuffs gone. And the hall closet. Board games stacked, reorganized. Excess linens donated.

One huge bag full of clothes for charity.

I can do this, can't I? For me its not tackling it that is the problem. I'm such a big P I just don't know HOW to organize - like what to do with it.

My two favorite books are:

Too Much Stuff: Decluttering Your Heart and Home
Organizing for the Creative Person

Carini
01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Woo hoo! We made major headway in the garage today. I might even get to park my car in there before winter ends. :)

Johns_Gal
01-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Pinterest has amazing ideas for organization. Like whoa. Want.

I have gotten rid of so much crud. I went through DS's room and outgrown toys/never played with stuff/broken vehicles are gine. I kept the schliech animals I bought him that he never touches.... seriously, someday somebaby of mine is going to treasure the silly things. :giggle

Tomorrow I have to go grocery shopping, and then I think I'll come home and go after a closet.

Oh, and my vacuum died on me forevermore today. :( I am saving for an irobot, so may swing by goodwill for a standin for a few months. I had to do my floors (HAD to, DS got crumbs all over the place) with the shop vac tonight. :giggle

ArmsOfLove
01-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Pinterest has amazing ideas for organization. Like whoa. Want.

links? :popcorn

crunchymum
01-06-2013, 09:40 AM
links? :popcorn

Here's my organizing board: http://pinterest.com/ladyjenevive/organization-junkie/

I think you could do a search, as well. :)

LadybugSam
01-06-2013, 10:00 AM
8 weeks to a less cluttered home (http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/06/8-weeks-to-a-less-cluttered-home.html)

30 days of decluttering ideas (basically telling you which drawer to go through, etc.)

you know, for those of us who don't know where to start once you get rid of the obvious stuff :shifty

Elspeth
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Ok...I did the math and 2013/365 is 5.5 items a day...so my goal is to clear out no less than 6 items a day.

Good idea! For me that sounds like an achievable goal. :yes I desperately need to sort our clothing and get rid of seasonal things we don't wear/can't fit.

Earthmummy07
01-06-2013, 02:05 PM
I just threw out some stuff I didnt know what to do with while taking the Christmas decs down. I feel so much lighter :dance

blondie
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Having a hard day. Hoping to go through the TINY stack of magazines I have left and throw them away. I could just throw them...but I feel like there might be good things in them...but that's what Pinterest is for. :doh

chasingbutterflies
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Having a hard day. Hoping to go through the TINY stack of magazines I have left and throw them away. I could just throw them...but I feel like there might be good things in them...but that's what Pinterest is for. :doh

oooh. this may have just been a lightbulb for me. :think

movinforward
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Feeling much lighter after our declutter during Christmas break. We got rid of: a pool table, a game machine, an old Christmas tree, a TV, a vaccuum sweeper, a shark (broken) steam mop, 5 bags of clothing, 5 bags of various other things. I went through all 4 of the kid's keepsake boxes, plus DH and my keepsake boxes and threw away items that were not worth keeping - that made another 2 big bags of trash.

Just got done reading the book "7" by Jen Hatmaker. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Really makes you think and want to simplify!

CCmomma
01-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I am joining in this one! We just moved (last week!!) and I thought I had donated/sold/thrown out a lot of stuff. I was WRONG!!! I can't believe how much stuff we still have that we never use, are never going to use or just don't need. Period.

And we are renting our house so we will for sure have to move again eventually. I really really want to cut our clutter and stuff that we have boxed up and never use down a lot. It is the perfect time since we are new and don't know people or have too many commitments yet!:D

jmom1984
01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Went through the girls' sock drawer today and gathered all the small ones to pass to nieces. The drawer isn't overflowing now! A small victory is still a victory. :)

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I am joining in this one! We just moved (last week!!) and I thought I had donated/sold/thrown out a lot of stuff. I was WRONG!!! I can't believe how much stuff we still have that we never use, are never going to use or just don't need. Period.

And we are renting our house so we will for sure have to move again eventually. I really really want to cut our clutter and stuff that we have boxed up and never use down a lot. It is the perfect time since we are new and don't know people or have too many commitments yet!:D

:yes Same thing happened to me when we moved a couple years ago. I felt like I had gotten rid of so much in the process, and yet I am still finding boxes of things that I can't believe I bothered to bring at all! No more though, out the door it goes!

MercyInDisguise
01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Went through a few various toys that are broken and don't go with anything anymore and threw them out. :tu Our playroom should be finished in the next month or so, and I'll go through everything in a big way then.

Tandem mama
01-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Did you find any puzzle pieces? ;)

I've gotten 75 things out of my house. The bummer is more has come in :doh but it's sunshine's presents and most fit in one of her collections.

tazmom
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I still haven't finished the last of the stuff from my closet. :doh

However, I did just clear all the junk from on top of my nightstand. Some things just needed putting away and others were trash. I even found a TRU gift card I'd forgotten about.

AmyDoll
01-14-2013, 04:57 AM
I can't easily close my dresser drawers, I bought another 100 hangers at Target and I still don't have enough. I have a lot of clothes. AND I wear them all. When is that one dress challenge? :shifty

I need to clear them out - again. But first I need to eat breakfast, put Christmas away, and school the children. :sigh

WildFlower
01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
I can't easily close my dresser drawers, I bought another 100 hangers at Target and I still don't have enough. I have a lot of clothes. AND I wear them all. When is that one dress challenge? :shifty

I need to clear them out - again. But first I need to eat breakfast, put Christmas away, and school the children. :sigh

are you SURE you wear them all? I have heard that a good trick is to turn all the hangers around and then when you wear them and wash and put them away put them on the hangers right. Then by the end of the year or whenever you'll know which ones you really didn't wear.

Starfox
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
We got the Christmas stuff put away this morning!

jmom1984
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
On Saturday we put all the Christmas stuff away, and when we did I went through it all and got rid of everything we didn't set out this year. Into the van it went to go to Goodwill. Then yesterday, the girls went home from church with my inlaws and Dh ad I CLEARED the basement. We moved in 1.5 years ago, and our basement is unfinished, just studded. So there is a storage room, laundry room, and we set up on of the "bedrooms" as a playroom and one as a craft/office type room, even though the rooms aren't finished. Well, Dh has decided that now is the time to work on it and everything down there has to be moved into the storage room (which will remain unfinished) to be able to drywall everywhere else. So we LOADED the van full of stuff to get rid of, and piled everything that is staying into the shelves in the storage room, and moved bookshelves and a desk in there. We got rid of so much! I'm really excited that he's going to try to finished the basement before the twins come. Having that space will be awesome!

ArmsOfLove
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
We were sick this whole weekend and we didn't get anything done :(

blondie
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Organized my makeup drawer, tossed a few things.

Decluttered O's room again. She's a little hoarder. :hearts It's cute, but I need to stay on top of keeping her things put away so we don't go crazy.

Aisling
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
you guys finally got me...I was looking through pics where we were living in a smaller space and had the clutter much better under control, and MAN, I want that back!

My rules:

-if we haven't used it in the past 6mo and it's not seasonal, it gets tossed!
-I must get a tax return sheet when I donate this time. Must.
-Just go for it. If something's iffy, I keep it. If something obviously dust covered and neglected, it goes! (For instance, I have a nice kitchen aid and DON'T need a hand held mixer anymore. I also don't need the beater sets cluttering my utensil drawer! Gnahhhh! :bag)

So far, I've gotten three boxes out of my kitchen and pantry. :jawdrop

Earthmummy07
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
We just threw out a load of wrecked dvds and cds :cheer

Aisling
01-14-2013, 03:00 PM
That IT. All hard copies of books on CD are getting converted and saved as MP3s and taken to the used book store. Having them all in the cabinet is INSANE. :shiver

MercyInDisguise
01-15-2013, 05:58 AM
are you SURE you wear them all? I have heard that a good trick is to turn all the hangers around and then when you wear them and wash and put them away put them on the hangers right. Then by the end of the year or whenever you'll know which ones you really didn't wear.

Oh! That is an awesome idea! :idea

RiverRock
01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I took a big mangily load of stuff to the thrift store that was accumulating in my closet. I also went through dh's sock drawer and tossed about half of them because of holes. :shifty

blondie
01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Cleared off the top of one of our upright freezers. Baby steps...

mipennsn
01-16-2013, 05:06 AM
Dh got the bike hooks up, cleared off the countertop in the kitchen that is the total catch all.

I've been at work.

Love how dh is working hard to get the house declutered. There is a good chance this week we could get both vehicles in the garage. :jump2

Tandem mama
01-16-2013, 05:17 AM
I have done nothing since Monday :bag

Teribear
01-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Down sick but will catch up as soon as I feel up to it