PDA

View Full Version : HPV infections may not ever go away.

Rabbit
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Rather like chicken pox, HPV infections may go dormant, then flare up again later in life.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254101.php

MercyInDisguise
12-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Well that's just.... fun.

WI Mama05
12-14-2012, 08:43 PM
so....I guess the kids vaxed with HPV will need boosters?

3boysforme
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I thought this was common knowledge already? :scratch

Rabbit
12-14-2012, 08:56 PM
This is specifically news for women who had an infection in their teens or twenties that did test as gone. And then in their 50's, they and their husband are looking at an infection they hadn't seen in 30 years, and are wondering where it came from.

3boysforme
12-14-2012, 09:15 PM
This is specifically news for women who had an infection in their teens or twenties that did test as gone. And then in their 50's, they and their husband are looking at an infection they hadn't seen in 30 years, and are wondering where it came from.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. When I had my LEEP done my OB/GYN said that the HPV stays in your body, it is not something that is cured. She said I will always have to be diligent when it comes to paps and so on.

Are you talking about a different strain?

SilverMoon
12-14-2012, 09:18 PM
This has been my own experience, so I'm not surprised.

ArmsOfLove
12-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes--it is a real nasty thing to have. Once you have had it you have to list it on paperwork for the Gyno :-/ In fact, it can make all future paps come back abnormal--and when they come back abnormal they tend to just ignore it because of the previous HPV. And then you can have them miss things like polyps that need to be surgically removed by the time you figure out you have them :doh

MercyInDisguise
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes--it is a real nasty thing to have. Once you have had it you have to list it on paperwork for the Gyno :-/ In fact, it can make all future paps come back abnormal--and when they come back abnormal they tend to just ignore it because of the previous HPV. And then you can have them miss things like polyps that need to be surgically removed by the time you figure out you have them :doh

What Is the recommendation as far as this, then? I know I'm supposed to have 2 paps this year and every year thereafter, but I'm not sure about anything else. I do know the OB said that when my paps come back abnormal, I don't need to do another colposcopy, but I'm not even fully sure how I got this stupid thing or even if it was a false positive or what. :think

Thankfulforgrace
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I too thought that was common knowledge. Not fun, but true :(

ArmsOfLove
12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
What Is the recommendation as far as this, then? I know I'm supposed to have 2 paps this year and every year thereafter, but I'm not sure about anything else. I do know the OB said that when my paps come back abnormal, I don't need to do another colposcopy, but I'm not even fully sure how I got this stupid thing or even if it was a false positive or what. :think

IME common practice is to do all sorts of paps and then ignore that they are abnormal :doh

MercyInDisguise
12-17-2012, 01:13 PM
IME common practice is to do all sorts of paps and then ignore that they are abnormal :doh

I guess a better question would be... What SHOULD be done when a subsequent pap comes back abnormal?