PDA

View Full Version : Vit D3 recommendations?

swimming with sharks
12-14-2012, 08:30 AM
So I got a bottle of Carlson's d3 drops with a 2000 IU/drop last year. I need to order more and can only find a 4000 IU. Is this because of all the research on how we're all deficient in vit D? Is 4000 too much for the kids though?? :think Any links or research you know of? :ty2

Katigre
12-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Carlson has lower drops. I give my kids 1000/day.

Sent from Katigre's Galaxy S3

Blue Aurora
12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
:popcorn I was about to ask the same thing.

mezzogirl
12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
I had this question, too, and ironically on Tuesday night at a Christmas dinner, sat by a lady from our church, who is a nurse at a doctor's office. The doc also happens to be a naturopath, so I was interested in what they their offices prescribed re: Vit D, as compared to traditional doc's recommendations. It was quiet different for a daily dose.

I was Vit. D deficient, even after living in Denver for 5+ years. Shortly after we moved back to Seattle, I was tested, and couldn't believe after all that sun exposure, I was Vit. D deficient. I took 50,000 IUs for 8 weeks and felt like a new person. I didn't realize how lethargic I was, until I wasn't anymore. After the mega dose my traditional doc told me to only take 2000IUs, but I had heard conflicting reports.

This nurse said in their offices, they suggest kids take no more than 2000 IUs/day (Unless they have been tested and are deficient). Adults can take 5000IUs (again unless they are deficient). She, also, said if you are getting a cold to take as much as 50,000IUs for three days and it will knock it out.

We give our kids the drops, but we take capsules. Mine are 2000IUs, she suggested taking 4000 every other day and 6000 the other days.