PDA

View Full Version : Minimalists in theory

Carini
12-12-2012, 08:32 AM
So I'm a minimalist in theory but not so much in practice when it comes to my decor/furniture. I keep our closets and storage areas relatively clear but I love to decorate. Any one else have that problem? I want areas to be clear but I also like rugs, end tables that are functional but also just "pretty", wall decor and home accents.

I guess my question is, has anyone else paired down their decor in the name of minimalism, and did it make your house easier to keep clean?

librarianjojo
12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Yes I am a minimalist. Yes I have gotten rid of most purely decorative items. And yes it does make cleaning easier.

I have very little in the way of just knick knacks, mostly because I hate dusting. All but one of my picture frames are hanging on a wall in a photo gallery of my family. I keep vases around for flowers, which I love. Many of my displays are of practical items, such as mason jars of food, fruit bowls, books that I'm reading, etc. I have even made wall art of beloved travel souvenirs (For instance, if you look at my avi, you will see a tiny brown thing right above my head. That is the brim of a hat my husband acquired in Peru, which makes a masculine and unique bit of wall art for above his nightstand). But I love clear horizontal spaces, so I am not tempted by tchotchkes. My apartment is very cozy and inviting, not at all an ugly, sterile space.

I have been a purger/minimalist since I was about 11. I remember my first big purge and I've just kept going ever since. I literally always have a donation bag going. I don't know how, but I just keep finding more stuff to give away!

Go through one preholiday knick knack purge now. I promise you that once you get used to the open spaces, other knick knacks you don't love will start glaring at you with an almost audible "TAKE ME TO GOODWILL!"

Emerald Orchid
12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I guess I fall in that category. :think I live in a small house and I feel like I always have too much stuff, although I have very little decoration going, for lack of space.

I think plants are nice decoration and can definitely work with minimalism, since the are useful. I also like the idea of pretty useful things, like mason jars. My sugar/coffee/tea canisters are pretty and needed.

Carini
12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Yes I am a minimalist. Yes I have gotten rid of most purely decorative items. And yes it does make cleaning easier.

I have very little in the way of just knick knacks, mostly because I hate dusting. All but one of my picture frames are hanging on a wall in a photo gallery of my family. I keep vases around for flowers, which I love. Many of my displays are of practical items, such as mason jars of food, fruit bowls, books that I'm reading, etc. I have even made wall art of beloved travel souvenirs (For instance, if you look at my avi, you will see a tiny brown thing right above my head. That is the brim of a hat my husband acquired in Peru, which makes a masculine and unique bit of wall art for above his nightstand). But I love clear horizontal spaces, so I am not tempted by tchotchkes. My apartment is very cozy and inviting, not at all an ugly, sterile space.

I have been a purger/minimalist since I was about 11. I remember my first big purge and I've just kept going ever since. I literally always have a donation bag going. I don't know how, but I just keep finding more stuff to give away!

Go through one preholiday knick knack purge now. I promise you that once you get used to the open spaces, other knick knacks you don't love will start glaring at you with an almost audible "TAKE ME TO GOODWILL!"

I'm kind of that way too with knick-knacks. I only keep what I love. And I LOVE clear horizontal spaces as well. I think I just need to REALLY pare down to the bare minimum for it to make a difference for me. We purchased a house that is larger than our last and it is quickly filling up. I think I need to quit shopping for the new house as well.

Emerald Orchid
12-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm kind of that way too with knick-knacks. I only keep what I love. And I LOVE clear horizontal spaces as well. I think I just need to REALLY pare down to the bare minimum for it to make a difference for me. We purchased a house that is larger than our last and it is quickly filling up. I think I need to quit shopping for the new house as well.

We are looking to buy a house 2.5 times larger than our current one and I know I'll have to keep the same philosophy in a larger space!

librarianjojo
12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
ITU the need to fill up a larger space. Nature abhors a vacuum. I had to get rid of a trunk I had in the corner for 2+ years. At first I was thinking about what I needed to get to fill in that space. I guess through sheer laziness and apathy I haven't done it. Now that I'm used to that empty space, the thought of putting something in it would make the walls close in. Maybe give yourself some time to get used to the empty space.

JenniferJuniper
12-13-2012, 08:26 PM
:popcorn

PeanutbutterandJelly
12-13-2012, 08:35 PM
I would love to live in a little bungalow on the beach with no electronics or stuff! DH on the other hand is an electronic engineer and loves his gadgets and toys! I am always giving stuff away to the goodwill because I can't stand clutter and stuff! I am a minimalist hubby is not so we meet in the middle :)

librarianjojo
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: Electronics hubby: Is it just me or shouldn't "they" be able to come up with electronics that don't completely ruin the aesthetics of a room? :giggle I know these things are available, but I don't want to replace working stuff just because I hate the cord nest under our desk.

JenniferJuniper
12-14-2012, 07:25 AM
RE: Electronics hubby: Is it just me or shouldn't "they" be able to come up with electronics that don't completely ruin the aesthetics of a room? :giggle I know these things are available, but I don't want to replace working stuff just because I hate the cord nest under our desk.

We minimalists by choice, but also by necessity,
Our living room, dining room, play room is all just one small room.
We have a galley kitchen, one tiny bathroom, and two bedrooms (only one closet) and no entryway, hallway etc.

I hate cords!!! HATE!
They're ugly and annoying and shoved behind all types of furniture - drives me nuts!

Peace,
- Jenny

HomeyT
12-14-2012, 08:39 AM

they have...it's called 'apple' :) lol!
we love our iMac desktop...seriously only one cord!! well 2 since i like to have a back up hard drive for pictures. looks great and simple in my livingroom and seconds as our tv.

i think the key is to only have things you absolutely LOVE in your space. function and love - 2 things i am learning to use to filter out 'stuff' in our home (i'm just learning that i am a minimalist at heart - so i am a newbie although have 'felt' the pull for a long while). so yes, my kitchen decor are storage jars and baskets with storage to keep everything looking neat and tidy. i have rugs for practical reasons. keeps warmth, and they are cozy for floor play with the kiddos on our hardwood floors! other decor i have are candle holders on the wall, since i have no surfaces to set the candles on! and they are there incase the power goes out. i also have a few art pieces and pictures up. but it's simple and blends well with the space.

librarianjojo
12-14-2012, 10:46 AM
they have...it's called 'apple' :) lol!
we love our iMac desktop...seriously only one cord!! well 2 since i like to have a back up hard drive for pictures. looks great and simple in my livingroom and seconds as our tv.

i think the key is to only have things you absolutely LOVE in your space. function and love - 2 things i am learning to use to filter out 'stuff' in our home (i'm just learning that i am a minimalist at heart - so i am a newbie although have 'felt' the pull for a long while). so yes, my kitchen decor are storage jars and baskets with storage to keep everything looking neat and tidy. i have rugs for practical reasons. keeps warmth, and they are cozy for floor play with the kiddos on our hardwood floors! other decor i have are candle holders on the wall, since i have no surfaces to set the candles on! and they are there incase the power goes out. i also have a few art pieces and pictures up. but it's simple and blends well with the space.

:giggle I have a MacBook. I :heart it. DH is a PC man and his is several years old. We have a circa 2007 cord nest happening. It really isn't that bad since we got rid of the printer and he has a wireless mouse.

I think that although I was a purger by nature, moving to our current 1bdrm apartment has made me a minimalist. Letting stuff creep in would quickly overwhelm us. After a bit, it starts to be fun to see how little you actually need.

Emerald Orchid
12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Carini, thanks for starting this thread, it's JUST what I needed! I was having a pity party this week because my small house isn't selling. Then I was reminded of minimalism and today I went on a decluttering spree (all closets). I got rid of 5 garbage bags worth of stuff to throw or donate! :woohoo

Carini
12-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Carini, thanks for starting this thread, it's JUST what I needed! I was having a pity party this week because my small house isn't selling. Then I was reminded of minimalism and today I went on a decluttering spree (all closets). I got rid of 5 garbage bags worth of stuff to throw or donate! :woohoo

Glad to help! :giggle

I paired down all my Christmas decorations that I couldn't keep dd from bothering anyway. It really physically reduced my stress. It's kind of odd but I think having just the Christmas tree, Jesse tree and our candles is much more simple and they shine without all the extra fluff.

JenniferJuniper
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Mm, I had serious issues with de-cluttering my Christmas stuff.
We just literally did NOT have the space for all my Christmas "stuff" - so we have one (fake) tree, lights outside and a Fresh Balsam candle I light! :giggle:

That's about it!

Hubs and I are doing a HUGE purge of the basement after Christmas. The clutter down there has been driving him nuts, so we're on a mission!

Peace,
- Jenny

HomeyT
12-15-2012, 08:04 AM
i minimized our christmas decorations drastically this year too. having a one year old helped put me on that path ;) although i am loving it! and considering giving away my large nativity that was gifted to me. also, using natural decorations around my yard, means i don't have to store them and they are free! lol!

Emerald Orchid
12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
i minimized our christmas decorations drastically this year too. having a one year old helped put me on that path ;) although i am loving it! and considering giving away my large nativity that was gifted to me. also, using natural decorations around my yard, means i don't have to store them and they are free! lol!

One day I want to make this wreath, it's so beautiful! http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-holiday-wreath-181266

librarianjojo
12-15-2012, 11:58 AM
I find that it doesn't take much to make a place feel festive for Christmas. I have a table top tree, poinsettias in my white pitcher, and a pile of presents for the nieces and nephews around the tree. Feels a lot like Christmas to me!

I'm thinking of donating my table top tree for next year. Our local healthy food store sells rosemary bushes in the size and shape of a tabletop Christmas tree. I thought that it could double as an excellent Christmas gift.

Carini
12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I've realized I think I need to pare down my kitchen utensils. I have SO many but only use a few regularly. I will get rid of some and the ones I rarely use (turkey baster, veggie masher, etc) in a jar in my pantry and just leave a few in my draw. Baby steps....:yes