PDA

View Full Version : medicinal container garden

SewingGreenMama
12-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Has anyone grown a medicinal container garden inside an apartment in the winter? Or know any links with tips on growing one?
I'm moving into an apartment and really want a medicinal garden but it would have to be in containers and inside until spring then it will be on my prayerfully sunny deck.
My last apartment got a grand total of 1.5 hours of direct sunlight in 24hrs during the summer. Thirty to Forty minutes in the morning the same in the evening...sunning diapers was a pain.

Damselfly
12-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Aloe vera would be a good start. It's really easy to grow indoors, of course, and it is traditionally used for minor burns and skin care. You could also grow rose geranium (pelargonium). It's relatively easy to grow. I use the leaves as a poultice for cuts. It makes a fabulous honey which I use for the winter blues. Mint grows okay indoors. I use it in combination with other herbs for stomach aches and headaches. Other than those, I can't think of much I've been able to grow indoors in the winter which actually grew enough to be able to use. You could probably grow chickweed if you keep it moist and in a cool spot. It is traditionally used for cuts and scrapes and is a tasty salad green.

SewingGreenMama
12-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Great suggestions, I'm gonna do some research see what can be grown inside during winter and what needs either a light or summertime to grow. I'm excited and anxious. I can't wait...I want to have some things fresh but not in danger of going bad.

I'm also planning on growing some cooking herbs. Cilantro, chives, dill.