PDA

View Full Version : What small gift can I make for 14 women?

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I want to do something special for the single moms in my church this Christmas. It turns out there are a lot more of them there than I realized! I have about 14 on my list now. I can make small jars of lotion to give them, that would be fairly easy to make a lot of and I believe most women would like it. But I'm trying to think what else I can make.

Please give me your best ideas. Id Like something that I can sew up easily but would be special. The only thing I can think of right now are heat packs with EO in them. :shrug3 That would kinda go with lotions, I think. :think

I may paint ornaments too :think Im feeling a little bit overwhelmed.:nails

Keeper-of-Mr.Monks
12-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Love the lotion idea do you make lip balm also? Haven't met a woman that don't like lip stuff :) kind of like a mini beauty kit for their purse :)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Love the lotion idea do you make lip balm also? Haven't met a woman that don't like lip stuff :) kind of like a mini beauty kit for their purse :)

I haven't tried lip balm yet but its on my list "to do." I have all the ingredients I would need...I was planning to order tubes but maybe I could put them in tiny contianers. :think I've seen one ounce or smaller ones at the dollar store, I think.

MegMarch
12-04-2012, 07:38 PM
You could round it out with scented bath soak with a mix of powdered milk, epsom salt and fragrance oil. If you use pots for the balm you could make it a lip and cuticle balm (I have dry cuticles this time of year.) I'd skip the ornaments. That's a very sweet idea but a ton of work I think.

What a kind heart you have to remember these ladies!

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
oooh, I just remembered I have a 40% off coupon to Michaels and I could buy a melt and pour soap kit...:think Those look very easy but very pretty, then I could use the snowflake shaped molds I have.:think So that, with a bath soak might be really nice. :rockon

Makes sense about the ornaments being too much work. I don't want to stress out over this!

I got the idea to do this from another thread on this board. I thought it was a great idea!:heart

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Okay, but lets say I'm nervous about my lotion making abilities. :shifty And went a totally different route than the bath stuff. (Ive been doing okay with them, but sometimes water separates a little, not sure if that's normal or not?)

I found this tutorial for making fabric covered journals:
http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-week-covered-notebooks.html

and I can make beautiful pens pretty easily with polymer clay (I actually have a TON of clay I need to de-stash!)

What else could go with that sort of gift?

MegMarch
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
oooh, I just remembered I have a 40% off coupon to Michaels and I could buy a melt and pour soap kit...:think Those look very easy but very pretty, then I could use the snowflake shaped molds I have.:think So that, with a bath soak might be really nice. :rockon

Makes sense about the ornaments being too much work. I don't want to stress out over this!

I got the idea to do this from another thread on this board. I thought it was a great idea!:heart

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Okay, but lets say I'm nervous about my lotion making abilities. :shifty And went a totally different route than the bath stuff. (Ive been doing okay with them, but sometimes water separates a little, not sure if that's normal or not?)

I found this tutorial for making fabric covered journals:
http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-week-covered-notebhttp://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-week-covered-notebooks.htmlooks.html

and I can make beautiful pens pretty easily with polymer clay (I actually have a TON of clay I need to de-stash!)

What else could go with that sort of gift?

I want snowflake soap! :heart The link did not work for me but I think some herbal tea would be great with the journal and pen. A little afternoon ritual of reflection and self-care in a kit.

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
12-04-2012, 07:58 PM
fixed the link...herbal tea is a good idea...I think I've seen it sold inexpensively at a few shops....:think

Dovenoir
12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
You may be able to mix your own with a bulk herb order as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

raining_kisses
12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
A small candle would go with the journal. So would pretty stickers. The T1 in me loves pretty stickers.

What a sweet idea. :heart

Prism
12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I like the journal idea. Another fun and pretty thing would be a sleep mask.

allisonintx
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Peppermint Epsom salt soaks are cheap and easy.

Fireside
12-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Just wanted to say I think it's so sweet that you are remembering the single moms at your church in a special way. :heart

Marielle
12-05-2012, 10:56 PM
I love the idea of a sugar or salt scrub. It kind of makes the efficient go getter in me pretty happy. Exfoliant and moisturizer all in one and done quick and dirty in the shower. I've seen some really easy recipes online and you could make them faintly scented or more herbal/unscented in case someone has a sensitivity to strong scents.

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
12-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Okay, thankfully I bought most of my supplies yesterday (before I found out DH lost his job) so I can use the things i have now but I dont want to spend much more at all at this time. :-/

What I have is the supplies to make the covered journals and fancy pens. I also found some beautiful bookmarks with scripture on them.:)

I also bought a pair of "anti-stress, revitalizing foot gel" for each lady. I was planning on making a foot or bath soak for each one but I dont know if Ill have the money for that. Specifically for the jars to put it in, and I think Epson salt is a little pricey. :think

I wanted to do a little box of fancy chocolates but I for sure wont have the funds to do that. :-/ Maybe the single moms ministry at the church will be interested in helping with that part.

:pray4 I have enough fabric in my stash for all the cloth covered journals.

lenswyf
12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I was a single mom for 10 years, and it blesses me to know that you're doing this.