PDA

View Full Version : Neti pot troubles

ruhama
12-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Anyone have easily-opened eustachian tubes and have problems with neti saline getting up there? I'm using a squeeze bottle neti thing so I'm thinking that may be the problem. The very first time I tried it a year ago (with a teapot style) I gave myself a horrific sinus & ear infection from getting the infected mucus up into my ears. I've been super careful and cautious since. It's definitely when I'm trying to rinse that it happens - I feel my tubes fill up.

I'm sorta moving instead to just sniffing the solution to actually get it up there instead of the "in one and out the other" technique.

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice? I'd like to stop mouth-breathing.

And yes, I'm using distilled and pre-formulated saline mix. I'm okay right now and can actually "hold" my tubes open if they aren't clogged too bad - had to do that 2 nights ago to be sure everything drained out after the incident.

blondie
12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
:bump

Iarwain
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I definitely have that problem if I use a squeeze bottle (not an official one - in a pinch I have recycled a water bottle with a spout top), particularly if I'm tensed up or really plugged because then that becomes the path of least resistance. What helps me is to make sure the muscles around my nose and face are really relaxed and open and to face downward more and tilt my head to the side less if that makes any sense.

If the problem is that I'm really stuffed it helps to use some steam first (like a hot shower) or Vicks or Altoids to loosen everything up.

DancingWithElves
12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
honestly? it doesn't have to work for everyone. neti deal is wonderful, but we have to listen to our bodies. :hug
i react negatively to cod liver oil :lol what kinda crunchy person does that! ;-) not all good things are good for everyone.

steam inhalation is a better option for you.
also aerosol can of simply saline to provide a more superficial cleanse and moisture.

ruhama
12-06-2012, 01:07 PM
honestly? it doesn't have to work for everyone. neti deal is wonderful, but we have to listen to our bodies. :hug
i react negatively to cod liver oil :lol what kinda crunchy person does that! ;-) not all good things are good for everyone.

steam inhalation is a better option for you.
also aerosol can of simply saline to provide a more superficial cleanse and moisture.

I think the sniffing thing will work okay, but it's frustrating b/c everyone's always gaga over the neti pot. My parents encouraged me to just sniff saline to relieve congestion well before we'd heard of a special teapot for it.

Maggirayne
12-25-2012, 08:18 PM
I have friend that happened to. I wouldn't want to use it. Why not just pour instead of sniffing?

ruhama
12-25-2012, 08:36 PM
I have friend that happened to. I wouldn't want to use it. Why not just pour instead of sniffing?

b/c it doesn't go anywhere - that's how stuffed up my nose can get. The sniffing doesn't make it go up into my ears, though.

Thankfully, I think the very last of whatever this is has cleared out without intervention. Yay!