PDA

View Full Version : Quick help from fermenting mamas pls!

Buela
11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
So, I tried my hand at fermenting for the first time last week -- turnips from the NT cookbook

It said to leave at room temperature for 2 days but I left it for 4 (my house is REALLY cold)

The liquid looks a little cloudy and pink from the small amount of beets I put in there. The lids were puffed out under pressure. When I opened it an strong smell seemed to fill the room, before I even got the lid off :scratch. It doesn't smell horrible or anything. Just really strong.

Dare I taste them? I was really looking forward to pickled turnips both to try fermented food but mainly because I absolutely love the pickled turnip that I get in Shwarmas from our local take out place.

I really really want to get into fermenting but I'm so scared of poisoning myself :paranoid

And I was just thinking that I should get into Kombucha because I just saw a friend of mine has posted pics of hers on facebook and I could grab a SKOBY from her.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

:bump

Anyone?

Glitterfish
11-27-2012, 02:15 PM
From what I understand, if a fermented food is BAD, it's obvious. Like, mold and awful stank :sick so if the smell is strong but not BAD, I'd say they're safe to try. I made lacto fermented dilly carrots and the fermented green beans, and they all have that fermented taste to them.... it's distinctive.

And I just got into kombucha too... go for it! It's easy and fun (and the kids are getting used to it.... starting w/ the youngest and going up to the oldest :giggle)

Buela
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
:shifty Maybe I'll get dh to try them first :giggle

Glitterfish
11-27-2012, 02:27 PM
:shifty Maybe I'll get dh to try them first :giggle

:yes :giggle

I actually make my kids try stuff first, so if I have a bad facial expression they don't pick up on it and not try it :shifty