PDA

View Full Version : EOs in diffuser - safe for infants?

delightedmama
11-26-2012, 05:57 AM
The question: Are there EOs I should not be putting in a tea candle diffuser since I have a 3 month old? If so, which can I use?

Background: when DD was young I discovered tea candle diffusers here in China and bought a couple essential oils based on how nice the scent smelled (lavender, cinnamon, sandalwood) or because I'd heard they're good for cleaning (tea tree oil, sweet orange). I've put all those 5 in the candle diffuser at various times just to freshen things up (or the tea tree oil if we seem to be coming down with colds).

We got back to our home here in China a couple weeks ago and our house was really musty from being mostly unused for 7 months... we're having all sorts of allergy problems (congestion and such) and have found some grey mildew on fabrics (now laundered) and the underside of antique cabinet we had in our bedroom.

SO, I'd heard about thieves oil for cleaning indoor air when there's a mildew problem (treated the mildewed stuff itself with water/vinegar/tea tree oil spray) and was just about to buy the ingredients (clove, lemon, cinnamon, rosemary, eucalyptus) when I started noticing that some of the sites had warnings about not using certain EOs with children under 3, not putting cinnamon in a diffuser (I've done it recently) when children 2 and under are in the home, rosemary not being safe for children, etc. etc. Is this just disclaimer stuff that's going overboard or should I not be using some of these? Thanks for any advice!

marbles
11-26-2012, 06:19 AM
:cup this would be good for me to know