PDA

View Full Version : Tried and true cough remedies

hey mommy
11-25-2012, 10:26 PM
For an almost 3 year old

Sammy was diagnosed with a mild case of croup last week. But his cough isn't getting better. Its getting worse. It isn't croupy anymore. Its deep and icky sounding. And wet.
I'd like to try something natural(and cheap) before taking him back to the doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverMoon
11-25-2012, 11:18 PM
:bump

I've found Tiger Balm, applied like Vick's, helps break up the congestion in the chest so coughs are more effective. Delsym or another cough med like that helps, too.

Keeping the bedroom moist with a humidifier or a bowl of water on a heat register will help a little bit.

Just recently my daughter had a cough but refused to take anything to help. I brewed a cup of a cocoa tea I had on hand. I have no idea why or how it worked, and it took about 2 weeks, but her cough is finally gone.

hey mommy
11-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks. i can't afford a humidifier and the heat registers are on the ceiling.

I'll try some honey tea tomorrow. i know he likes it. not sure why i didn't think of it before.

Damselfly
11-26-2012, 07:37 AM
My son used to have a lot of trouble with wet, croupy coughs. I used mullein tea (steeped 15 minutes, strained really well and mixed with apple juice.) I'd give him sips of it throughout the day and it really seemed to help him.

3boysforme
11-26-2012, 07:50 AM
If you have eucalyptus oil, you can put some in their bath water. Or you can put it in some coconut oil and rub it on their feet and cover them with thick socks (I have no idea why this works but it does), if you can't get the Eucalyptus oil you can also use Vicks.

hey mommy
11-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks all. I do have eucalyptus oil. I'll see if he'll let me put some on his feet tonight.

I've never heard of mullien tea. interesting. Thanks!

shekinah
11-28-2012, 04:26 AM
If you have a store that sells homeopathics, you could get some Hepar Sulph. It's used for cough/cold, usually recommended for croup with the deep, wet coughs. There are three common homeopathics used for croup, one to administer within the first 24 hours, then another to address the croup, then Hepar Sulph at the end if it hasn't gotten any better by that point. Seems like it might be a good fit for where your son is at now. Dunno how cheap you are looking for, but it should be around $10 or so.

Hope he feels better soon :(

hey mommy
11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks. I am looking for dirt cheap, but a $10 homeopathic is better than a $30 copay. So i'll try that first.

allisonlindberg
11-28-2012, 09:57 AM
a spoonful of honey
humidifier in their room at night
sitting in bathroom with hot water running for about 10-15 min for steam inhalation

If it is getting worse, I would go back to the Dr.

LilacPhoenix
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Not a natural remedy, but I've found that ibuprofen helps coughs. It decreases inflammation/irritation and once they're gone, it's easier for the body to do what it's supposed to to heal itself:yes

mamajane
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks all. I do have eucalyptus oil. I'll see if he'll let me put some on his feet tonight.

I've never heard of mullien tea. interesting. Thanks!
I think I got mullein flowers in a baggie in the Mexican grocery store here for just a couple dollars.

saturnfire16
11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I put eucalyptus in a carrier oil (usually olive oil) and rub it in their feet and chests. Like someone else said, I have no idea why it works on their feet unless maybe it's an acupressure point thing, but it seriously stops them from coughing all night.

hey mommy
11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
I tried rubbing eucalyptus/olive oil on his feet the other night, and he freaked out. I guess he didn't want me touching his feet.

But i did get him to drink some tea w/lots of raw honey and he's been downing that for the past day or so. he loves it and begs for it.

I also got some of that Hepar Sulph. It was cheaper than Delysm and other stuff. Plus I know for sure that he'll take it and i won't waste my money on it. he loves homeopathics and hates reg. medicine. Smart kid.