PDA

View Full Version : Help me like my home again.

greendelight
11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
So I loved my home. Then we had tons of super costly repairs. And then the honeymoon was over. We can't move and we can't afford to spend anything else. There are things I would love to do if we had lots of money. Paint the outside. Replace windows. Stuff like that. But replacing the heating and AC and duct work and fridge and dishwasher took precedence. So here I am. Not too happy with my house. Any advice?

Garland
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Hmmm, I can relate. We had to spend a bunch on our place too. And also the market turned so we ended up owing more on the house than we could sell it for, so moving isn't an option.

When there isn't money for projects or decorating, but I'm feeling the need to change things up to make me like my surroundings more, I re-decorate with stuff I already have.

So maybe that might help you too? Move furniture around a bit? Re-arrange things? Get out the holiday decorations? If you already have some paint and such, even painting a piece of furniture can make a room feel new and happy. :)

greendelight
11-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Great ideas! I'm sorry you're dealing with this too. :hug

marbles
11-26-2012, 08:14 AM
I rearrange a room when I'm feeling dissatisfied. Redesign a room in my head and see what I can do now towards that redesign

Garland
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
If you feel like posting any photos of rooms or areas that you'd like to change, I'd be glad to look at them and share ideas. :)

rcsmom
11-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I haven't lived in a "finished" house for oh about 6 years now so I can totally relate to the not being happy with your house. For me the things that have helped are
- declutter and clean, I feel like no matter what the physical house looks like I feel better about it if it is clean and neat
- interior paint, a can of paint can be relatively cheap especially if you go to Walmart or something and the paint is decent. Paint your interior walls whatever color makes you happy :) I have always had very colorful interior colors.
- curtains for the interior- you can even make your own relatively easily and cheaply
And I agree- post pictures :popcorn

Teacher Mom
11-28-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree with paint and rearranging. You would be surprised with the difference a fresh new color will do for you!!!! Buy the best paint you can afford though so you are not having to do a second coat.

Find some inexpensive frames at the thrift store and put pictures in them. I made a really nice collage with cheap frames from the dollar store and thrift stores. I painted them white and put pictures of my kids in them. One collage for each kid for each small section of wall in my DR. OMgosh do Ilove them with all my heart. They make me smile every.single.time.I see them. :grin

FaithHopeLove
11-28-2012, 12:09 PM
I love the advice in the movie Under the Tuscan Sun to take one room and make it your own. This might mean slowly buying a few special things while rearranging what is already there, playing music, adding scents you love, some plants, etc. Maybe with fondness for one room it will at least give you a haven and hope that more is to follow. :heart

crunchymum
11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
If you can afford paint, do that. :yes I also really love the idea of making one room or one corner really *yours*. Maybe hit the thrift shop to see if there's anything you can upcycle or spray pant or something.

What's your style? What space do you dislike the most right now? Which one do you love the best?