PDA

View Full Version : homemade moisturizer

HomeyT
11-23-2012, 06:59 AM
anyone have a fave recipe?
i'm looking for something lightweight (very, i detest greasy)
extra points if the ingredients are things i already have :) like shea butter, vit e oil, cocoa butter, aloe vera, and plenty of EOs

fyi - presently i use aloe vera gel alone during the day. and i like it for summer, but need something a little more for winter ;)

can anyone help me out??

oh i also have bees wax, but have never used melted it before, a little nervous about doing that.

Blue Savannah
11-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Have you tried coconut oil? That is my favorite light moisturizer.

Shea/cocoa butter will be pretty heavy. It would be great for dry hands, but too much for most people on the face. :)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
11-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I made this one the other day for the first time. DH and I are really loving it. Its a little greasy, but not bad. Im also not sure if the greasiness might be because I used too much beeswax, so it is kinda more solid than it is supposed to be:think or it might be because I didn't get the herbal tea to mix in when it was the right temperature so there is some separating. I measured the beeswax BEFORE it was shredded, I think I was supposed to measure it after. But still its working for us and it leaves very dry skin feeling so nourished. <3
http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-make-homemade-lotion-with-three/

This one also looks good. The blogger says its non-greasy and it looks like its all ingredients you have. I might try this one later.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/12/non-greasy-homemade-moisturizing-lotion/

StumblinMama
11-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Sweet almond oil is light, and it absorbs quickly :yes It's also a really good makeup remover. I like to use some on a microfiber to take off my makeup.

backtobasicsmum
11-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I second the coconut oil suggestion. :yes I'm like the queen of the oily face and since using coconut oil to remove makeup (when I remember :shifty) and as my morning and night moisturizer, my face has been *less* oily. :rockon It doesn't cause me to break out, either.

HomeyT
11-23-2012, 05:14 PM
My night cream is coconut based. So I wanted something lighter for the day. Maybe I'll try using less.

Going to check out those links too! Thanks.

I almost bought sweet almond oil today. Hmmm.

HomeyT
11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
ok this idea came to me in the shower the other day :)

i love aloe gel on my face...so i just added some vitamin E oil and some EOs for extra goodness. i am loving it! hoping santa brings me some jojoba oil in my stocking....that stuff is pricey but supposed to be packed full of nutrition!