PDA

View Full Version : Storage options for bedding

Soliloquy
11-19-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm not thinking of any good options, thought maybe someone here might have some good ideas.

Currently, I don't have a good place to store our bed linens. I've never had this problem before. A combination of one bedroom having not enough closet space and our family growing (meaning no more drawer space left in our dressers) means that right now our clean bedding is stored in a plastic bin. So it smells like plastic when I take it out. :-/ Buying another dresser really isn't an option right now. Putting it in baskets means the cats will nap in it. Is there another option?

Two Little Birds
11-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Could you do baskets with lids?

Lily
11-19-2012, 11:28 PM
We have cloth zippered bags that slide under the bed for extra linens since we lost the huge linen closet in favor of a second shower.

Like this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-Essentials-Storage-and-Organization-Blanket-Bag-in-Natural/15712050) and this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-Essentials-Storage-and-Organization-Underbed-Chest/16485934). Ours are all cloth. I think they came from the container store or target. :think

LadybugSam
11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
if you don't have a linen closet, the best place is under the bed, IMO. i use plastic containers, but there are baskets and bags for it as well :yes

SamRose
11-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Basket under something (table, bed, shelf) such that there isnt any clearance above that leaves room enough for the cats?

I feel your pain; our linens in rotation are in a basket on the closet floor, the rest in a box in the attic.

mommylove
11-20-2012, 05:18 AM
I wonder if space bags would be stinky?

I can't quite wrap my head around this, but I know someone who keeps her bad made up like this: mattress protector, fitted sheet, flat sheet, empty pillowcases, mattress protector, fitted sheet, flat sheet, pillows. When the top set of sheets are dirty, she strips the bed & puts it in the laundry bin. When the next set of sheets is dirty, she washes it all & starts over.

Soliloquy
11-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I have space bags. They're a scam. :yes2 They fill up with air. And they do smell like plastic. Granted I have a bionic sense of smell, apparently, and synthetic smells seem to bother me more than other people.

After looking through dh's dresser, I think I can consolidate his things so I have a drawer for bedding.

About the layered bedding--I made my bed up like that before each homebirth but it doesn't make sense to me to do that as routine. :think You still have to store the top sheet & extra blankets and if someone gets sick or has an accident then you've doubled your laundry.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Soliloquy
11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I did find some attractive baskets with lids but I'd have to spend over $100 to have enough storage space. All the storage bags I found were at least partially plastic. I wish I had my sewing machine set up. It seems like it would be so easy to sew a drawstring bag out of heavy cotton. I'll keep checking the thrift stores for a decent dresser, instead.

librarianjojo
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I keep bedding in the closet of the room with the bed in it. I fold it all up and put it inside the inside-out pillowcase that goes with the set. I usually just put it on the top shelf of the closet. This means that each bed has 2 complete sets of sheets - one on the bed, the other in the closet. Since my guest "bed" is the couch, I keep the guest sheets in a basket in my living room with my throw blankets. I have since converted my mama, my SIL, and my grandmother to this system. :D

Soliloquy
11-20-2012, 01:54 PM
I keep it in the same room as the bed, too. :yes But no room in the closets. If when I get around to selling some things we don't need anymore, I might have room. But the closets in this bedroom are weird and the bathroom has zero storage, so there is overflow from the bathroom in the bedroom closet, in addition to our clothes. Four people in a bedroom makes it tight. I could store the bed linens in anther room, though. :think I'd rather not, though.

Aerynne
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
We have Ikea under bed storage boxes. They're made of a plasticy fabric, but it doesn't make the bedding smell like plastic.

Carini
11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
What about a nice sturdy wooden shelf above the bed or high up away from where the cats can go? You could dress up some storage baskets with ribbon and store them in there without needing a lid.

rcsmom
11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
In the past I have stored blankets and bed linens between the matress and box spring. As long as you don't fold them too much so they are too bulky you don't even feel them under there- especially if you try to keep them even under the bed.

ShangriLewis
11-23-2012, 10:36 PM
We don't have extra:shifty

Soliloquy
11-24-2012, 12:31 AM
We lived that way for several years because there just wasn't money in the budget to buy extra sheets. It was horrid because we had newborns and toddlers. If someone got a GI bug or had a diaper leak that meant my entire day was spent doing laundry while trying to tend to a sick child and the healthy children. And we lived on the 2nd floor and our laundry was in the basement at that time. One of the FIRST things I did when our budget got some wiggle room was to buy an extra set of sheets and mattress covers for each bed.

Is it manageable for you to have only one set per bed?

Mother of Sons
11-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Fold the fitted sheet and top sheet and put them inside the pillow case. Then hang the pillow case on pants hangers (the kind withe clips)

ShangriLewis
11-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I think a second set might be nice. But, I seem to do fine with it. I have had one time in my entire marriage where I wish I had a second set.

If I sense someone is sick, they get towels on their bed. We co-sleep and it seems to work ok. One of my kids wet the bed for a long time. So, once he was out of diaper he went to his own bed with a washable cover. I washed his sheets almost every day.

I think I would like to have extra bedding, just to change things up a bit.

Hope you find a solution. I think putting them between the mattress at the foot of the bed would work.