PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping a sprained ankle

AngelaVA
11-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I sprained my ankle yesterday :pout. It's not bad enough to need medical attention it's getting a lot better resting it today but tomorrow I need to be up and around again as much as possible. DH went out and got me this black ankle support thing that I think is too big - it doesn't feel tight or supportive at all. He got a bandage too and that provides more support but it's a horrible plasticky texture that was giving me a rash so I had to take it off. Isn't there something better I could try?

Two Little Birds
11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
:think

When dh gets home, I'll ask him what he would recommend.

:hug

StumblinMama
11-18-2012, 04:44 PM
What about an Ace bandage? AFAIK the reason for wrapping it is to prevent a secondary injury.

PrincessAnika
11-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Ace bandage or self adhesive wrap. If you can find.....i forget what its called. Athletes use it underneath, its kinda like a foam wrap, to protect the skin from irritation from tape or wraps.

Two Little Birds
11-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Ace bandage or self adhesive wrap. If you can find.....i forget what its called. Athletes use it underneath, its kinda like a foam wrap, to protect the skin from irritation from tape or wraps.

Pre-wrap.

My concern with using tape is if it swells, the tape doesn't give at all.

PrincessAnika
11-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Pre-wrap :doh :giggle comes in a wide variety of colors lol

ETA: correct on the tape. I was meaning it as under an ace or similar wrap - when I did first aid for fall youth football we went through that stuff like crazy with all the twisted ankles. :)

AngelaVA
11-18-2012, 05:06 PM
What about an Ace bandage? AFAIK the reason for wrapping it is to prevent a secondary injury.

He told me the thing he brought home was an ace bandage but its not like the ace bandages I remember. It's very plasticky and sticks to itself the ones I remember were stretchy but more cloth like- he said they didn't have anything like that.

PrincessAnika
11-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah they are almost all self-adhesive wraps now, something about the little metal clippy pieces....

LovinBeingMommy
11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
What kind of support did your DH get? I have an air cast from an old sprain and it doesn't really feel tight. It just keeps me from rolling my ankle because the sides are hard. I prefer ace wraps most of the time, just because the brace is a pain.

StumblinMama
11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
If you have a Dollar General nearby, they still sell the ones with the metal clips :yes It's their store brand.

AngelaVA
11-19-2012, 03:42 AM
What kind of support did your DH get? I have an air cast from an old sprain and it doesn't really feel tight. It just keeps me from rolling my ankle because the sides are hard. I prefer ace wraps most of the time, just because the brace is a pain.

It doesn't have plastic on it, it's some sort of black stretchy fabric. It looks like it would work well if it were smaller.

FindingMyWay
11-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Ace bandage- and it's to support you from re-injuring during the first few days-weeks after an ankle injury.

LovinBeingMommy
11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
It doesn't have plastic on it, it's some sort of black stretchy fabric. It looks like it would work well if it were smaller.

Those are annoying. They're more just for pressure. I had one and gave up on it. Ace wraps are bulky, but they at least WORK.