PDA

View Full Version : Washing walls?

LikeQuietDreams
11-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Um... how do you do it? :shifty

My walls are kind of gross with all kinds of finger prints and little stains from my kids that I guess I have just never noticed before. I need help!

mamaeffie
11-15-2012, 11:48 AM
for spot cleaning i just spray the area with my homemade all purpose cleaner.

for big cleaning days, i will get the baseboards and walls with my mop water, usually i use murphy's oil soap.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

oh, and i use retired dish rags or cloth diapers for my cleaning rags.

LikeQuietDreams
11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
So, are we talking like a sopping wet cloth? Just damp? How much soap? :giggle :blush

mamaeffie
11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
for spot cleaning, i just spray it on the wall and clean it up with a dry rag.

for the big mopping the walls, i get my rag pretty damp...not sopping. i dilute like, a tbsp or so of murphy's oil soap in about 2 gallons approx. of warm water.

LikeQuietDreams
11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
:ty3

MercyInDisguise
11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
We use TSP (trisodium phosphate) powder in hot water and get a rag wet to wash it. Not the most chemical free thing though. :shifty

ValiantJoy07
11-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't know how great it is for the paint job -but I use a damp magic eraser- especially on outlet covers.

LikeQuietDreams
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
I had to use google to get even a teensy idea of what that is! :giggle

I'm mostly crunchy, but will bust out the serious chemicals if necessary. Does the trisodium phosphate make the job easier than regular soap/cleaner, or is that just what you happen to use?

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

I don't know how great it is for the paint job -but I use a damp magic eraser- especially on outlet covers.

Oooh! I think I have one of those lying around here somewhere!

Luciola
11-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Can I ask what sheen your walls are?

DH is a painter. :shifty

silverlining
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
For marks on the wall, I find a little baking soda sprinkled on a damp rag works great.

ValiantJoy07
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM

I'm mostly crunchy, but will bust out the serious chemicals if necessary. Does the trisodium phosphate make the job easier than regular soap/cleaner, or is that just what you happen to use?

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Oooh! I think I have one of those lying around here somewhere!

From what I read they are actually no chemicals used- they are glorified sand paper - http://home.howstuffworks.com/magic-eraser.htm
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/magic-erasers-t-149752 most of ky wallow are inaccessible (furniture) but the 4 main areas that aren't I wipe down with vinegar solution or scrub with magic erased.

LikeQuietDreams
11-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Can I ask what sheen your walls are?

DH is a painter. :shifty

um... they're not shiny. :shifty :doh:shrug3

Can you tell that home-making is not really my strong suit?

ValiantJoy07
11-15-2012, 03:07 PM
:doh misunderstood :O never mind. :)

LikeQuietDreams
11-15-2012, 03:09 PM
:)

Luciola
11-16-2012, 05:45 PM
What I understand is that basically the shinier your walls are, the easier they are to wash. So if they are a little shiny you can feel fine washing them with a pretty damp, warm cloth or mop. Sopping wet might leave marks so you can see where you washed.

I think it might be a special kind of paint, but the somewhat shiny painted wood work in our house comes clean super easy with a baby wipe.

2sunshines
11-16-2012, 06:00 PM
I wash the walls in my house by giving my children damp wash cloths and instructing them to wash the walls. :yes But I'm sort of mean like that. ;)

Of course, it still requires some follow up on my part. Most of it comes off with just water. I use a magic eraser on any stubborn stains or marks.

MercyInDisguise
11-16-2012, 08:24 PM

We've been doing a lot of painting, and it's a good heavy duty cleaner for washing walls before painting. :yes Otherwise I might just use a Magic Eraser for spot cleaning, and use some Biokleen All Purpose cleaner in a bucket of hot water for regular washing. :yes