PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk trends!

Prism
11-14-2012, 10:45 PM
So last year I went to a craft fair, and playing off a popular trend (cupcakes!) really worked for me. I sold cupcake ornaments. (I'm going to post pictures in the WAHM section in case anyone here might need some for their tree. :shifty I make them a little different then the ones on etsy. :rockon)

So I know there is a mustache trend going right now. That could be a cute addition but i'm not totally sold. The Zombie thread got me thinking of zombie items, but i quickly ditched that. Zombies aren't my thing, and they aren't really Christmas friendly either. (especially at a craft fair where 80% of the buyers are 30 and older.) Last year Angry birds were really popular, and i nearly made angry bird ornaments, but settled on cupcakes instead.

So what do you guys think? It doesn't have to be a suggestion like, "Oh birds are in, so you can make X by X and X.) You can just say, Birds are a trend! And I can figure it out on my own. Of course if you DO know a great idea and want to share, i'm totally up for that. :D Just don't think you shouldn't post because you don't know how I could incorporate the trend into a craft fair.

I'm going to probably sell a food item, my ornaments, and something else "trendy"

LoveIsGentle
11-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Owls! I see them everywhere lately. And they're so stinking cute. I actually just bought owl ornaments for the girls' first Christmas ornaments this year. :yes

Prism
11-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Owls are cute, and double bonus, they are a recurring trend that could really appeal to an older crowd! :) I'm writing it down . Thank you!

Edit to add, how cheesy cute would something with these owl themes be?

Owl be loving you. or Owl be home for Christmas.

LoveIsGentle
11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
The second one in particular is really cute!! Just the right amount of cheesiness to work! ;)

AnotherNamedKate
11-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Owls! I see them everywhere lately. And they're so stinking cute. I actually just bought owl ornaments for the girls' first Christmas ornaments this year. :yes

This was going to be my response too. Owls are very trendy right now.

greengirl19
11-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Owls are very trendy and cute. I love them :)

HadassahSukkot
11-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Here, the big trends are:

Owls
Cupcakes
Birds (sparrow types, finches)
Hunger Games
Deer & Moose
Switzerland / Alpine type decorations

Domina
11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Fair Isle knits seem VERY popular this year. It's a classic that also occasionally becomes trendy, I guess.

DragonfliiMama
11-15-2012, 07:59 AM
From Etsy Holiday Merch Guide (http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/etsy-success-your-holiday-merchandising-guide/) - this is just a few things, there's a whole lot more info and more trends in the article.

Classic Holiday Trends:
Gadget Cases and Accessories:
Winter Fashion Accessories
Stocking Stuffers
Jewelry

2012 Holiday Trend Forecast:
Cards: Holiday greetings, personalized stationery, and thank you sets
DIY kits: ornaments, decor, jewelry and toys
Maps, states & countries
Wine carriers, cases, and accessories
Typography and industrial signage
Woodland imagery: animals, nature, colors

mamaKristin
11-15-2012, 08:42 AM
I was going to say owls or songbirds (not angry birds).
I'm seeing a lot of "cute monsters" around too.

Chickadee&Me
11-15-2012, 08:52 AM
I was going to say Owls too :giggle

I've crocheted a few Owl hats and they are a big hit

ruhama
11-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I love owls.

Anything with a mason jar might work - those little handled salt & pepper shakers?

Hedgehogs are adorable and woodland creature-y.

hbmamma
11-15-2012, 09:49 AM
everything old is new again... 50's/retro styles & colors

steampunk stuff...

also Scandinavian themed: dala horse, hearts, wreaths

Prism
11-15-2012, 10:30 AM
There are a lot of cute ideas here.

Deer and Moose? Is this like... a thing? Or is it just the animals? lol

"Owl be moosing you this Christmas." Would make cute Christmas cards, or stocking stuffer labels :giggle.

lol yes, i am in a cheesy mood!

Niphredil
11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a hard time not snatching up every aqua bird item I see. :yes

HadassahSukkot
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
There are a lot of cute ideas here.

Deer and Moose? Is this like... a thing? Or is it just the animals? lol

"Owl be moosing you this Christmas." Would make cute Christmas cards, or stocking stuffer labels :giggle.

lol yes, i am in a cheesy mood!
Just the animals. Shape, silhouettes, embroidered, painted, stamped.. you name it.

They're taking styrofoam ones and putting tacky glue (or something like it) all over and dipping them in glitter. Green, pink, blue, silver, black, red... or the same figures are felted. :shifty It started last year right after christmas... suddenly they were there, and it faded a short bit until Oktoberfest prep time, and now they're back en force. :shrug3

Now there are cut outs from wood or metal, cookie cutters, cookies... it's crazy. I guess they figure "Well, some people do the whole '8 tiny reindeer...'" and ran with it. :giggle

Prism
11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I could make something like these cute owl ornaments...

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/102532103

Snake_Girl
11-15-2012, 12:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XM3vWJmpfo This is all I've got.

Prism
11-15-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XM3vWJmpfo This is all I've got.

lol that was hilarious. :rockon

greendelight
11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Owls are on the way out here. It's all about foxes now!

Prism
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
We are kind of behind here. But for me personally I think Foxes would be adorable!

joysworld
11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I was thinking owls as well. What a out hummingbirds?

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

What about shabby chic? Things with chandeliers, shoes, dresses, etc.

Snake_Girl
11-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Foxes would be SO cute! Santa fox or angel fox...I'm not good at this so...glad you enjoyed the video, though!

Put a fox on it!

AnotherNamedKate
11-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Woodland creatures in general are pretty popular right now. I've also seen a lot of squirrel, fox, and raccoon stuff as well in stores.

Prism
11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Oh I forgot about these. Elf Magic is a pretty popular thing, These would be really cute to go along with elf magic...

http://pinterest.com/pin/105412447499146152/

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Are fairies trending?

JessicaTX
11-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm still seeing tons of birds and tree branch things, i thought that peaked 2 years ago.
Lots of chevron stuff. Mustaches and bowties.
Unicorn oddness - unicorn farts, unicorn poop seems pretty popular
hello kitty isn't really possible with copywrite laws, correct?

HadassahSukkot
11-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Are fairies trending?
In certain circles :yes

Wichtel and Gnomes are also very in.

mamajane
11-16-2012, 07:56 AM
I could make something like these cute owl ornaments...

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/102532103
Those are cute!

Prism
11-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm thinking now I won't have the money for supplies actually. :shrug3 Oh well, next year. :)

LoveIsGentle
11-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Oh, too bad! :( Can't wait to see what you come up with for next year then!

Prism
11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks :) It's a shame too. I started on a crochet dolphin last night I think I could have gone places with. :giggle I'm making it as a bean bag for my DDs birthday. I may try to convert them into ornaments. They are chubby and cute and would make great first Christmas ornaments.