PDA

View Full Version : ideas for a kid's sewing kit **now I need ideas for a beginners crochet pattern**

backtobasicsmum
11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
My kids often ask to learn to sew/crochet/knit/etc etc. And I often don't have the time/don't have the right materials/etc etc.

So, for Christmas, I thought I could make up a sewing/crafting kit for each of the 4 oldest kiddos, with age appropriate stuff.

Like embroidery hoops/fabric/floss for the bigger kids and then plastic canvas and yarn for the younger guy.

An easy crochet project for each kiddo.

And easy sewing project for each kiddo.

Supplies for all the projects.

Maybe all put together in a sewing/project bag, so we don't loose stuff.

Help me brainstorm other ideas/patterns etc for this!

HomeyT
11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
My girls used a wooden hoop (large), with a plastic needle, and burlap as a beginner cross stitch project and enjoyed it. They were 3. My dd made a pin cushion out of burlap and the needle. Great beginning to sew materials too.

Just picked up a larger crochet hook and some thick wool for her to try out. But you could try one of those knitting dolls or just wool to hand crochet.

I'm thinking of making dd a little needle sewing kit too ...so would love ideas. Measuring tape? Needles,material pieces (saw some packages of scrap squares at Walmart I might pick up). Scissors, thimble, pin cushion or some stuffing so they wan make their own. Some elastic??

doubleblessings
11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
my mom got DD a set last year, I will try to check out what was in it and post later. She also got a couple Winky Cherry books (http://www.amazon.com/Winky-Cherry/e/B000APJOSO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1).

Quiteria
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
When she was younger, we bought dd some craft felt that was hole-punched around the edges, and came with yarn and a plastic needle and some stuffing. So, there was a red heart, and I think a teddy bear shape, and a flower...each were just very simple sillouttes, two matching pieces to be the front and back, to sew together with the yarn.

Sort of like these, but even less detail, just solid colors if I recall correctly, and you could see the holes that were punched. But this kind of shows the main idea.
http://www.amazon.com/Felt-Animal-Lacing-Puppet-Craft/dp/B005DS6URQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1352600184&sr=8-5&keywords=felt+lacing+kit

MegMarch
11-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Check out the Klutz line of book/craft sets. That's how I learned to crochet as an adult =D The set had everything you need for several projects which was nice.

You might add some bead and lanyard stuff?

A clipboard folder thingy to hold friendship bracelet threads in place or keep patterns organized.

ncsweetpea
11-11-2012, 06:13 AM
A small collection of muslin and fat quarters.

backtobasicsmum
11-22-2012, 09:30 PM
I updated the title a bit, to reflect more clearly what I'm searching for now.

I'm tracking down emboidery hoops and a project for that. :yes
I can find plastic canvas and yarn for the littler ones. :yes

So. What sort of crochet pattern would you suggest for a totally beginner 10 yo boy, 8 yo boy and 6 yo girl?

Blue Savannah
11-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Klutz has a really good crochet book. My daughter taught herself using it a few years ago. :)

MegMarch
11-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Klutz has a really good crochet book. My daughter taught herself using it a few years ago. :)
I agree. This is what I used to learn too!

ncsweetpea
11-23-2012, 03:20 AM
This was my first crochet project as a kid.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/michelles-bookworm-recipe