PDA

View Full Version : Help! My dish towels repel water!

Mama Rophe
11-08-2012, 08:58 AM
This has been an on going problem for years now. In the past, I've just trashed them and bought new, only to have them repel water again. I don't use any fabric softner, nor do I use dryer sheets. I have had the same problem no matter what detergent I use. (store bought & home made) What is wrong with my dish towels? They are the "flour sack" type of towels.

Barefoot Bookworm
11-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Probably detergent build up. I'd strip 'em like you would cloth diapers. Lots of hot water, a squirt of original Dawn dishsoap, and a 1/2 cup of bleach (some use vinegar). Then wash, wash, wash until you see no bubbles left.

LoveIsGentle
11-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I have to strip my dish towels and rags too.

Of course, I've also bought brands that repel water no matter what I do, so that may be possible too.

Mama Rophe
11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a variety of brands. My wash rags are just fine. In fact, they are what I grab to clean up messes because the towels just push the mess around. It's just the flour sack dish towels. I will have to try stripping them.

blondie
11-08-2012, 10:08 AM
I use Oxiclean on mine when they get like that.

BarefootBetsy
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Fabric softener can cause that to happen :yes

Mama Rophe
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I use Oxiclean on mine when they get like that.
I use oxyclean in all of my laundry. Do you just run them through with oxyclean alone?

Fabric softener can cause that to happen :yes
I have never used fabric softener. Not once.

FaithHopeLove
11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I've never liked "tea towels" much . . . they aren't absorbent. Terry or another more fluffly towel-like fabric works much better IMHO.

What are your tea towels made of? Are they pure cotton?

Mama Rophe
11-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty sure they are all 100%cotton.

marbles
11-08-2012, 12:53 PM
I love my bamboo towels, they are super absorbent. I get them for cheapies at big lots.

Mama Rophe
11-09-2012, 07:12 AM
I stripped them yesterday. We will see how they work today.

newday
11-09-2012, 07:51 AM
i would guess it is a buildup of soap as well.
soap buildup would cause the same problem as fabric softener by depositing fat (or essentially fat) onto the fibers and blocking them from absorbing liquids.

by the way, i haven't had this problem for years now since i started using Charlie's...fwiw.

hope the stripping works for them.

Lady TS
11-09-2012, 07:54 AM
i would guess it is a buildup of soap as well.
soap buildup would cause the same problem as fabric softener by depositing fat (or essentially fat) onto the fibers and blocking them from absorbing liquids.

by the way, i haven't had this problem for years now since i started using Charlie's...fwiw.

hope the stripping works for them.

I use Charlies (and no fabric softener) and have this problem, though..... but we have well water that runs a bit hard even after it's softened, so that might be a factor. :shrug3

newday
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I use Charlies (and no fabric softener) and have this problem, though..... but we have well water that runs a bit hard even after it's softened, so that might be a factor. :shrug3

yeah, my water is very hard though. :think
(Also well water)

do you have a problem when you purchase them new, because when they are made they usually have a coating on the fiber that i have to strip off initially and then they work very well. or is it after you have been using/washing them for a while?

Lady TS
11-09-2012, 08:08 AM
yeah, my water is very hard though. :think
(Also well water)

do you have a problem when you purchase them new, because when they are made they usually have a coating on the fiber that i have to strip off initially and then they work very well. or is it after you have been using/washing them for a while?

It's after I've used them awhile. Our hard water components are iron and lime. Mostly iron.

I also had some of those MUcloth (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MU-KITCHEN-MUCLOTH-DISHCLOTH-SCRUB-SCRUBBER-NONSTICK-SAFE-CHOICE-OF-COLOR-/350531945029) ones that are microfiber that have been repelling for awhile. Once I get it good and soaked under the faucet, it works fine. But to grab it from the drawer and expect to wipe up a spill? :no

newday
11-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Hmm.
I really want to figure this out...but idk what i tis :no

Lily
11-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Adding the Charlie's laundry booster really helped combat our hard water. I use 1/3 of a scoop so one tub lasts forever.