PDA

View Full Version : What's your motivation?

bookworm-mama
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
I've fallen into a I-don't-want-to clean-anything rut. :-/ I need a big boost of inspiration to get me going again, what do you turn to when you need some motivation to take better care of your house?

Marrae
11-07-2012, 01:51 PM
:think. I don't feel comfortable, relaxed or happy in a messy house so I suppose I have internal motivation. I know some people who ask guests over so that they need to clean up though.

Johns_Gal
11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Most of the time, I am like Marrae, and find a clean home intrinsically rewarding. But sometimes... oh yeah.

Honestly, when I am in a rut, it's because I have been home too much and need to go somewhere. I drive out to the country and visit farmstands (enjoyable, cheaper, and better than the grocery store, but more time consuming), buy a coffee or tea, and listen to good music. I come home, take a shower and put myself together, and then I fix my house. Trying to clean the house without getting out of the rut is like swimming through thick mud.

I usually plan/buy an easy supper for catchup days too, so I'm not cleaning most of the day and then just have to cook and dirty my kitchen all over again. :shifty Some days just call for a frozen lasagna and a bagged salad. :giggle

BlissfullyEsther
11-07-2012, 02:24 PM
My internal motivation is the realisation that I love to be in tidy spaces (such as when we stay at other people's (tidy) homes). I'm also beginning to believe that I am worth the effort I put in to have tidy/tidier rooms.

My external motivation is in the form of a tumblr which has a lot of swearing, so I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here. The tagline is "terrifying motivation for lazy people with messy homes" which suits me quite well and I do find the hints and before-and-after photos very inspiring. She is very understanding of people with abuse/mental health/disability issues and can't "just do it". I've found it really inspiring in that way too. If I only get 5 mins done today that's still a win. If I get an hour done (in 10-20 min lots) then that's great too.

blondie
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I can't function in a messy house. Even just a sink full of dishes makes me :cringe

It's a blessing and a curse.

RiverRock
11-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Sometimes my only motivation is reminding myself that someday I will care again, and I would rather have less work to do when that day comes. I might just make myself plod along with the attitude of "fake it 'till you make it."

MegMarch
11-07-2012, 04:30 PM
A couple of things- DD loves to clean and help and it makes me feel like a bad mama to say "eh, we'll do it tomorrow or never" when she suggests something.

DH is happier when the house is cleaner and I like him better when he's happier.

I want to be able to open the door and not be ashamed.

Mostly though I've been keeping track of how long I've kept things tidy and my competitive keeping track so I can say "booyah" self is not willing to admit defeat.

bookworm-mama
11-07-2012, 08:14 PM
MegMarch- I'm nodding my head in agreement to your line about not being ashamed at opening the door. I don't know how many times someone has popped over and I thought, "nooo! not today my house is a disaster!" I've seen a cute little quote, I think on a fridge magnet, it goes something like, "The house was clean yesterday, sorry you missed it!" I feel like the days I DO have the house "company-ready" are the days no one happens to pop over, but if I'm off my game and the house is trashed and the kids and me are still at pjs at 2pm....THEN my FIL calls to say he's 3 minutes away and wants to say hi to the kids. Sigh.

Llee
11-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Scheduling a playdate works well. Or, alternatively, we've invited the pastor and his wife for supper on Friday, so that is providing all kinds of motivation. :shifty

Aerynne
11-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I just tell myself "Well, I can at least clean off the top of the kitchen island" and do it. Once I see how much better it looks I want to do the rest, too.

FaithHopeLove
11-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh my, I didn't see your thread when I posted mine!

You might want to check out the answers there as well, although I asked the question from a slightly different angle. :)