PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about books

Carini
10-30-2012, 05:58 AM
I'm culling books that are a little babyish for dd right now. I plan on storing them away for another baby. When the time comes for her to read, will we be bringing these books back out to practice with or are there beginning reading books that are written/organized differently that just simple baby books?

allisonlindberg
10-30-2012, 06:09 AM
My early readers sometimes like to read the board books that they are familiar with (that little sister still reads). Mainly, they read early reader books. BOB books and level 1 or 2 readers.

Aerynne
10-30-2012, 06:14 AM
The ones that have pictures and simple words aren't that useful for learning to read (apple, ball, etc). But simple picture story books are great for a second step (after Bob books). Dr Seuss is awesome for learning to read!

Carini
10-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks!

librarianjojo
10-30-2012, 09:38 AM
The difference between early reader books and board books are that the early readers are specifically written with a limited vocabulary, simple sentence structure, and important sight words. While you might be able to find that in some board books, those baby books are not written with the needs of an early reader in mind. Also, some kids are sensitive about reading "baby" books when they do not consider themselves babies. :shrug3