PDA

View Full Version : Lead test strips?

Autumn
10-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Are there reliable ones I could order on amazon? Would something like that be worth getting? We have older cupboards in our house and I'm curious :think

schmamy
10-23-2012, 03:01 PM
the asbestos/lead contractor we worked with a few months ago told me that the test kits you can buy at Lowe's are accurate. I thought I had heard they were unreliable, but he said not. however, I will say we had a difficult time with them. the liquid inside turns the tip dark yellow, so it's hard to tell whether it's tinged pink or not. we had one result that was undeniably pink/red, but the others were sort of ambiguous.

:hug2 I hate dealing with the fear and uncertainty of toxic stuff in old houses, as well as dealing with the cost/trouble of fixing it.

it seems I heard somewhere, too, that green and yellow are more likely to have lead, and kitchens and bathrooms are more prone than other areas. but take that with a huge grain of salt, because I don't remember the source.

Autumn
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks! The paint on the inside of the cupboards is red so it might be hard to tell... I think I'll give it a try and see, I found a 2-pack on amazon for $9 and it's the same kind Lowes carries. :think

The rest of the house has been redone in the last 15 years, but the cupboards are old so I'm anxious to check them :yes